Hello from Bucks (originally from Japan!)

New to the Honda E Forums? Introduce yourself here
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

Hi everybody

So glad I found this place before the test drive - have appointment on 5th Dec after lockdown ends!

I'm Japanese woman living in the UK for 30yrs (married with British), I had several Smart car in the past, currently have Smart EQ. It's lovely cute car but the range is 70miles or so, in the winter it further drops. I hate EV charging anxiety, would like to have further range outing, two-three points visit rather than go somewhere and back iykwim, so researched around and decided on Honda e.

Another issue with Smart EQ was the App unreliability - well I was hoping Honda would have made much better apps.... however having read around it is not a case??

Anyway I'm going to test drive in a week and make decision! Currently thinking about Advance in Grey (would have loved Red or lighter Grey of which Japanese Honda offers though). My plan is, Grey with blue accent trim all over the place.

The dealer guy told me they have Grey in stock but with 16" - is it possible to order 17" alloy (with blue trim) and expect the dealer to deal with it?? It's their job I expect!! Or is it very difficult to change the factory setted combination you think??

I will read around more to the details till Saturday. If anybody has any suggestion what I should try or ask, please let me know, I'm all ears....
2020 e Advance : Modern Steel Metallic + blue accent :mrgreen:

Rei

Post by Rei »

I think they have to change some setting if you change the wheel size. The 16 give the best ride and range.

I think the app is okay, just the normal thing with cars like no signal in car parks!
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

16 inch wheels still have the same rolling circumference don't they? as the side wall goes up a step, otherwise you'd not be able to switch wheels between summer and winter with differing rim sizes.

See if you can get a long test drive and do the routes you'd normally go on, to see if it suits your needs.

Good luck
Ex e owner
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

Rei wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:10 pm I think they have to change some setting if you change the wheel size. The 16 give the best ride and range.

I think the app is okay, just the normal thing with cars like no signal in car parks!
Hi Rei many thanks for your input, I will ask dealer. If it's not possible 16 black wheel would be fine then, I didn't know it changes the range. Also good to hear the app is okay :P :P
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

milligoon wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:19 pm 16 inch wheels still have the same rolling circumference don't they? as the side wall goes up a step, otherwise you'd not be able to switch wheels between summer and winter with differing rim sizes.

See if you can get a long test drive and do the routes you'd normally go on, to see if it suits your needs.

Good luck
Thank you milligoon, re. wheels, I will double check with the dealer but if it's too difficult I may be happy with 16" (and save a lot of money then, just missing blue rim which nobody notice anyway).

I shall drive around, including a bit of motorway - interested to feel the 'accel pedal only' driving/stopping too, as well as the parallel parking.
Thank you again!
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

Konnichiwa Marmite, the Honda e is a very nice car for in and around the city. If you often travel long distances, it is useful to have your own charging station at home, so that you can always leave with a full battery. Here in the Netherlands the App does not work yet, at least my dealer does not yet know how to activate the car for the connection with the App. But okay, the car also works without an App. Have a nice test drive. 8-)
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

iHansz wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:56 pm Konnichiwa Marmite, the Honda e is a very nice car for in and around the city. If you often travel long distances, it is useful to have your own charging station at home, so that you can always leave with a full battery. Here in the Netherlands the App does not work yet, at least my dealer does not yet know how to activate the car for the connection with the App. But okay, the car also works without an App. Have a nice test drive. 8-)
こんにちは iHansz!

Yes I love Honda and other Japanese cars obviously, I just liked Smart car's cute looking in the past - I'm all on looking & feeling, not so much on technologies & performance :oops:
We do have home charging wall unit for Type 2 - I was a little worried that Honda e's charging unit is open towards the sky - even was considering purchasing charging cover accessory but it seems ok to charge in the bad weather (heavy rain/snow), so I may just leave it for now.
Hope Netherlands will have app soon, it would be so useful!! I'm so looking forwards to test drive - how quickly can I accommodate with/without side mirror....

Beste wensen!
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

Back from test drive, absolutely loved it - I had little wobble when I had read Fiat 500 EV coming out March 2021 news this morning but no, after having Smart EQ (which is the same design of normal Smart car) I want the car specifically designed as EV! Fiat is Fiat after all and I feel a bit too old for it.

Whilst driving, my brain kept telling me 'side mirrors fell off!!!' but after 10min or so I think it stop panicking lol. Parallel parking was fun. Didn't have enough time to fiddle with all the panel bits but I will pick it up eventually.

Unfortunately they can't swap tyre size apparently, and one of my accessory wish list wouldn't be available till Jan 2021 anyway, so I will have Advance 17" grey with Blue bits all over in mid Jan. (One small thing - CMS cover (silver or blue) is mentioned and shown on the website & brochure but not offered on website configuration, however they were available.)

Something to look forward to 2021...
Haaploos

Post by Haaploos »

I also looked at the Fiat, it looks cool and has great range, but like you mentioned, Fiat is Fiat. Dealers here in Norway told me they are staring to deliver the Fiat in the next couple of weeks actually.

Ye, the mirrors takes some time to get used to. During normal driving they are great, but very unusual when backing up and parking.

What do you mean about tire size? The width or rim size ? My dealer let me decide between 16“ and 17“ on my advance.
Modern steel advance 17"
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

Hi Haaploos, Norway is far advanced for EV than UK I think, you have much better public facility too. I'm still very reluctant to plan to charge in the public places in case (many cases!) it's not working, somebody not EV parking inconsiderately etc etc. May be that's why Fiat EV is available for you earlier!

Oh yes, when I'm backing the screen shows as if my car is squished to death, but in reality there were huge space! I guess it's better safe than sorry.

Within my blue trim plan, I wanted 17" alloy wheel set with blue trim. Last week the dealer said there is grey metallic with 16" available immediately so I was wondering if they can swap the size in order to have 17" alloy.
By the time I went for test drive, grey with 16" has gone, next grey batch will be in Jan 2021 with 17" apparently, so I gone back to original 17" plan.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post