Greetings from Scotland

New to the Honda E Forums? Introduce yourself here
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Hi all,

Not bought an E yet but my local dealer is offering a great price on an ex demo advance with only 1,000 miles on it.

I am very tempted but need to be persuaded. We have a diesel civic for longer journeys so the second car like the E would just do school runs and local trips so in theory plenty of range for me and the kids.

However I just bought a new golf mk8 eTSI which I love mechanically and it’s a beautiful driving machine. However it is absolutely riddled with software issues to the point of all the sensors turning off, things rebooting, warning lights left right and centre, mild hybrid battery was flat when I drove home on day one and so on. I am hoping I can get my substantial deposit back from VW finance but I don’t think it will be an easy fight.

Would you say the experience of driving the E is good enough for me to justify this whole upcoming fight? VW already ‘fixed’ the same errors once with a software update only for them to come back again a week later. And all the time they are denying software issues.

What do you all think?

Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

Morning and happy Christmas

You are on the Honda e forum. So I think most on this site like their e’s and would recommend them.
They aren’t for everyone. But I’d 90-95% of journeys are short (like mine - the journeys, not me) then the e really is a fab car. Brings joy.
Not had any car related software issues. Other than connecting the app to the car. The app is also a little slow. But it generally works ok
I do recommend a test drive
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Just get a long test drive to the point you need to charge it up and see if it ticks any boxes, I always find it difficult to recommend cars to people as there are so many variables to take into account. Cars and their suitability for an individual is a very personnel thing.
Ex e owner
ChesterUK

Post by ChesterUK »

Welcome Michael,

A Golf is a lot more practically accommodating than the little e, but assuming you don't need all the boot space of the Golf and 2 rear seats are plenty, a BEV like the Honda e sounds like it would fit your needs very well indeed. I'm curious about the Golf eTSI, but not for good reasons. I had a MkIII Leon FR 1.4 TSi Revo'd to 200 horsepower that would regularly return >50MPG, and cost £20 to tax! The complexity of the eTSI mild hybrid would scare me to death! Small BEVs like the Honda e are just infinitely better for this purpose in my opinion, and now my wife has one, she has absolutely zero interest in owning another ICE car again. Even though my ICE car is in a different league, I still enjoy driving the little e very much.

As others have said, take it for an extended test if you can. I really don't think you'll be disappointed.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Thanks all for the kind words.

Dealers are open again tomorrow and if the demonstrators are still available I may see if I can take one for a day or two.

They priced the advance at £25k which is a great price- still a lot for a small car but great considering the starting price.

As I said earlier my mileage is not that great most of the times and there is a second bigger ICE car in the family.

@ChesterUK, you are right about the complexity of the mild hybrid. Already I am getting tons of electrical issues including a flat battery on day one. Mechanically works great but if you look elsewhere in private groups on faceboook and forums, folk had had alternators and batteries die on them within a couple of months. Scary as I am getting an alternator issue on my diagnostic kit (OBDELEVEN) as well.

But this is a Honda E forum. Let’s get back to topic! I somehow have a feeling it will be difficult to relinquish the golf. I suspect I will fall in love with the E when I get to drive it and I I can’t get out of the golf it will be doubly disappointing as I will be faced with regular trips to the dealers to fix it!
ChesterUK

Post by ChesterUK »

Oh my that is not good. In that case I wish you the best of luck for getting out of whatever scheme you're in with the Golf, and don't doubt you'll be totally hooked on the e!
Isow

Post by Isow »

Drive the Honda e ?
I just saw a prototype at the Geneva motor show a few years ago and I knew it
would be my wife’s next car.
We’ve had ours 3 months and have been very happy with it.
If you are paying around £25K for an Advance, it’s a great price.
Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth ( whatever that means).
Remember though,that with the harsher weather and snow you get in
Scotland the the e is rear wheel drive.
keithr

Post by keithr »

Isow wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:33 am Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth ( whatever that means).
It means don't question the value of a gift. The proverb refers to the practice of evaluating the age of a horse by looking at its teeth. So it means don't find fault with something that has been received as a gift or favour. Don't be ungrateful when you receive a present, even if it's not exactly what you wanted.

It's probably not an appropriate saying for when you're choosing to buy an expensive car!
Last edited by keithr on Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isow

Post by Isow »

keithr wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:39 pm
Isow wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:33 am Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth ( whatever that means).
It means don't question the value of a gift. The proverb refers to the practice of evaluating the age of a horse by looking at its teeth. So it means don't find fault with something that has been received as a gift or favor. Don't be ungrateful when you receive a present, even if it's not exactly what you wanted.

It's probably not an appropriate saying for when you're choosing to buy an expensive car!
I know what it means, I was just trying to be funny.
Obviously I failed, but thanks anyway.
keithr

Post by keithr »

Isow wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:10 pm I know what it means, I was just trying to be funny.
Obviously I failed, but thanks anyway.
:lol: :)