Hello from Hampshire UK

New to the Honda E Forums? Introduce yourself here
Taztronic

Post by Taztronic »

Hi all, Horndean Portsmouth here... Met-Blue E-Advanced on 17's all the internal extras (cloth) but only mud flaps on the exterior. Had it now since end of Sept last year, had to rebuild the garage before she could get put away at night. As an Electrician/Electronics Engineer I'm in process of building/fitting my own 32Amp Charge point based around a EVSE module from Viridian. If the weather improves I hope to have this all finished and connected within the next month or so, so please feel free to ask any questions on this subject but please bear in mind that its not actually finished and working just yet. Taz

Dsc06051-sml.jpg

Sousaphone

Post by Sousaphone »

Welcome to the forum - excellent choice of colour!

I'm looking forward to tales of 32A charge point construction, though I don't even have a place to set up a charge point myself.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Welcome Taz,
I'm just up the road from you, so I might actually see another e in the wild soon.

I'm surprised that you didn't consider an OpenEVSE (https://openevse.com/).
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Taztronic wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:01 pm Hi all, Horndean Portsmouth here... Met-Blue E-Advanced on 17's all the internal extras (cloth) but only mud flaps on the exterior. Had it now since end of Sept last year, had to rebuild the garage before she could get put away at night. As an Electrician/Electronics Engineer I'm in process of building/fitting my own 32Amp Charge point based around a EVSE module from Viridian. If the weather improves I hope to have this all finished and connected within the next month or so, so please feel free to ask any questions on this subject but please bear in mind that its not actually finished and working just yet. Taz
Hi Taz and welcome.

Very interested in your EVSE build. After being let down by Andersen I might even consider making my own charger inside a pretty external box.

That meter you have (Sinotimer DDS015), what are the two small additional terminals for? Is it an RS485 connection? I'd really want something that I could monitor remotely.
Taztronic

Post by Taztronic »

londiniumperson wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:14 am Welcome Taz,
I'm just up the road from you, so I might actually see another e in the wild soon.

Hi Londiniumperson, thanks for the reply, nice to know we are not alone, thanks for the link to OpenEVSE I knew not of this website, looks like they do some cool stuff but I will say that it is all priced in USD and seems to come from Waxhaw, North Carolina. I will look into this later to see if they have a UK outlet.
Many thanks.... Taz.
UK-Advance in Crystal Blue on 17"Black Rims
Own built 7.6kW Charge Point (Viridian EVSA)
Octopus GO Tariff
londiniumperson

Taztronic wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:46 am
londiniumperson wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:14 am Welcome Taz,

Hi Londiniumperson, thanks for the reply, nice to know we are not alone, thanks for the link to OpenEVSE I knew not of this website, looks like they do some cool stuff but I will say that it is all priced in USD and seems to come from Waxhaw, North Carolina. I will look into this later to see if they have a UK outlet.
Many thanks.... Taz.
It's readily available in the UK, see the Open Energy Monitor website here:
https://shop.openenergymonitor.com/evse/
Have a Google of 'open evse' & you'll find some interesting YouTube videos about it. There's also an active community accessible via this website as well.
I've got some of the home monitoring kit myself, though not the EVSE. I considered getting the kit but took the easier route and got an Ohme instead mainly because I wanted a charge point fairly quickly and had only just discovered that this was available and didn't have the time to look into it in depth. I think that I would have been happy with an Open EVSE, though it does have the disadvantages of a relatively small user base and is beholden to people's generosity in maintaining the software, especially as I originally wanted the tie in to the Octopus Agile time of use tariff.
Taztronic

Post by Taztronic »

Sousaphone wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:44 am Welcome to the forum - excellent choice of colour!

I'm looking forward to tales of 32A charge point construction, though I don't even have a place to set up a charge point myself.
Hi Sousaphone, thanks for your comment, I will keep you posted on any progress with the charge point. Taz
Octopus GO Tariff
londiniumperson

rickwookie wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:54 am
Taztronic wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:01 pm Hi all, Horndean Portsmouth here... Met-Blue E-Advanced on 17's all the internal extras (cloth) but only mud flaps on the exterior. Had it now since end of Sept last year, had to rebuild the garage before she could get put away at night. As an Electrician/Electronics Engineer I'm in process of building/fitting my own 32Amp Charge point based around a EVSE module from Viridian. If the weather improves I hope to have this all finished and connected within the next month or so, so please feel free to ask any questions on this subject but please bear in mind that its not actually finished and working just yet. Taz
Hi Taz and welcome.

Very interested in your EVSE build. After being let down by Andersen I might even consider making my own charger inside a pretty external box.

That meter you have (Sinotimer DDS015), what are the two small additional terminals for? Is it an RS485 connection? I'd really want something that I could monitor remotely.
How about fitting an EVSE inside a 1960's piece of telephone company test equipment like this guy has?
Taztronic

Post by Taztronic »

rickwookie wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:54 am
Hi Taz and welcome.

Hi Rickwookie, thanks for the reply... well spotted, it is a Sinotimer Meter as I wanted to keep track of power used to charge the Honda-e, as for the two terminals I'm not so sure what you mean, if it's the two chrome/red things on the front top left of the unit then they are LED's not terminals... The LED's are to show if power is ok on the two internal circuits... Circuit 1 is Main Power in. Circuit 2 is for the control/electronics of the charge point, unlike most other charge points I have incorporated a replaceable internal 2Amp fuse to protect the internal electronics. At present I just wanted to build a simple charge point just to see how basic/cheaply this can be done. I have taken remote monitoring etc. into consideration this is why the box is so big as I do hope to add such functions and features at a later date.
Great video of the Test Equipment with the charge point inside, Just goes to show with a little imagination and some pointers from your wife you can still keep it simple when it looks so complicated. Luv it... Taz.
Octopus GO Tariff
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Taztronic wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:21 pm as for the two terminals I'm not so sure what you mean
These:

57BC6859-50B0-428E-A9B5-77A7516A39B3.jpeg