Hello From London!

New to the Honda E Forums? Introduce yourself here
firewire71

Post by firewire71 »

Hi All,

I currently am leasing a Tesla Model S 2018 and about a week ago test drove the Honda-e. I was really amazed at the driving capability and the fun character of the car itself. Now I have also test driven the Mini Electric and am in a dilemma as to which one I should get. I drive in London about 99% of the time. While I love the Mini's precise steering wheel, very solid build quality, I also love the safety features of the Honda-e and the amazing turning circle which would be worth the price alone in central London!

One thing I have noticed is that the navigation screen is not that responsive as compared to the Mini which is very fluid. Do you have the same issue? Is the navigation screen response better when you have Apple car play? Have any of you test driven the Mini Electric and then decided to go with Honda-e and if so why? Thanks!

Marmite

Post by Marmite »

Hello & welcome!

My husband has Mini countryman plug in hybrid, sized down from Lexus RX last year and very happy, saying it has much more character and fun to drive than Lexus. I have e from Feb this year (previously Smart EQ), we drive other car from time to time - I don't like Mini's airplane like solid interior/dashboard, sat nav colour and indicator's loud ticking noise (just my taste!). My husband is not keen on too many screens in e but admit driving is fun and comfortable. Auto parking is much better with Mini I have to say.

I do go to London, e's sat nav has been fine (but currently not working since Garmin update, which is different story, hopefully it will come back...). Since there are two screens you can use one of them for Apple map (or Google map, I prefer 3D Apple map) or Waze. Some people here mentioned sat nav time/position lag though, which I haven't experienced myself.

Tell me about turning circle, I was twirling all over the place like black cab, and just got £65 (being half of £130 as early payment) ticket spotted by CCTV - it's totally my fault, not e's, lol.

Sorry perhaps not much help - good luck with your decision all the same!
2020 e Advance : Modern Steel Metallic + blue accent :mrgreen:
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Welcome, crikey a fair difference in size between Tesla model s and the Honda / mini😁.

Not sure why people have issue with the inbuilt Garmin nav, if your car is in the right position on the road as on the nav but them I am very used to Garmin satnav. I have been trying numerous others on Android auto to be fair the slowest to update in my experience is sygic , Waze and amigo seem okay but apart from map styles it's just a matter of taste. I don't live in a built up area so that may make a difference to the cars satnav antenna and response times maybe?

Flipping between cars on test drives can be difficult to get a feel for the various car systems, good luck with your final decision.
Ex e owner
Nebrog23

Post by Nebrog23 »

Hi and welcome,
I have found google maps a bit laggy on the wireless car play but just used a wire connection and seemed fine. Like milligoon I'm not in a built up area but haven’t used the Harmon much yet.
I looked at the mini but found the lack of rear leg room and no rear doors too big of a compromise. The Honda e is a true 4 seater.
I have had a ICE mini and found the ride more compliant in the Honda and prefer the styling/fun.
The safety features are great but a little intrusive for my liking!
firewire71

Post by firewire71 »

Thanks for all your replies! Yes, comparing the Tesla S with these two cars is definitely night and day as far as size is concerned, maybe this is why I felt so much more relaxed when driving the Mini and the Honda-e. In London it feels like with the Tesla you're going to hit every car that passes by, especially central London. I get stressed to the point I have stopped enjoying the car, especially road with those damn width restrictors. I was surprised how comfy the Honda-e was going over rough roads, just effortless driving.
RAL7004

Post by RAL7004 »

Take the Honda e.
It's probably worse in London than in Berlin: in this vehicle you'll be happy about a small traffic jam!
But the greatest thing is when you can drive it properly again, thereafter…
Nebrog23

Post by Nebrog23 »

Nebrog23 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:38 pm Hi and welcome,
I have found google maps a bit laggy on the wireless car play but just used a wire connection and seemed fine. Like milligoon I'm not in a built up area but haven’t used the Garmin much yet.
I looked at the mini but found the lack of rear leg room and no rear doors too big of a compromise. The Honda e is a true 4 seater.
I have had a ICE mini and found the ride more compliant in the Honda and prefer the styling/fun.
The safety features are great but a little intrusive for my liking!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post