hello from Aberdeen Scotland

New to the Honda E Forums? Introduce yourself here
scotty c

Post by scotty c »

hello all.

Ive been reading a lot of the forum for the last few weeks and getting some great information from you all thank you. Been out test driving cars (ID3 couldn't live with the seats & i3 behind in the tech dept and regen on all the time I didnt like) Unfortunately the dealer policy is to have the salesman with you in the car (even with covid :shock: ) i got a feel for the car but didn't get to have a spirited drive on a B road, but i can tell the car feels good and will be fun when needed. So i have placed an order for a E advanced in grey on 17", Although i would have liked to try the 16" or even see a car on them to be able to decide.

First things first i already have range anxiety as i have a 40 mile round trip commute, B roads for 30 miles of that and not much traffic when i do hit the city limits, I hope to be able to get 2 days out of one charge? but if i don't i will just have to charge it every day. We are getting a charger installed at work (Myenergi) and i will get one installed at home in the next month or so so will have options. My nearest charger (22kW) is only 4 miles away from my house so can easy pop along for a quick top up before i get the home charger installed.

Im not a big tech person but looking forward to playing with the tech in Honda it does look fairly easy looking at videos on you tube. Already liking some of the wallpapers ive seen on the forum.

cheers
Scotty C

T.Wolfe

Post by T.Wolfe »

Hey Scotty,

I own the white hondae e in Aberdeen. :-)

As long as you're not using the bypass, and stay on back roads you should be fine. The bypass KILLS battery.

I go to Inverurie once a month and head out on the bypass (20-30% batt) and return through Dyce (15-20% batt). At the moment (May), I'm doing this round trip approx 40 miles on 30-35% battery with careful driving, 40-50% if I get a bit carried away on the bypass.

As long as you're not hoofing it too far north of 55/60 mph it's fine. There is a useful screen you need to set up on the drivers dash which shows you energy useage. It's a blue vertical bar for power draw and white horizontal for miles per kilowatt hour.

I didn't find this for the first 2 months using the car, and was getting crap range. When I found this it showed me that I had been a bit too heavy on the pedal, hence the crap range. I now always drive with this on the main drivers screen to make sure i get the most out of the range.

At present (May) I am getting approx 3.5 miles/kwh in Aberdeen. It's getting even better as the weather warms. Unfortunately the Aberdeen winter sucks, and the battery performance falls off a cliff. During the snow in January I was getting anywhere from 2.0 -2.5 miles per kilowatt. And you can't use the Heater :-0 That kills it even more. But the heated seats and heated steering wheel don't really draw that much, and by God I love them! Especially for Aberdeeen in December, January and February.

Just to let you know even though your nearest charger is 22kw the honda e will only charge at 6.6kw, so you won't really get the benefit. (I'm assuming it's the James Hutton Institute charger).

This isn't a big deal however as the battery is so small it doesn't take too long to charge at 6.6kw. A handy trick is to get some shopping by the Beach boulevard and park by SCARF on cotton street just behind it. A half hour shop will give you 10-20% charge. If you need longer charges then is suggest investing in an amazon Fire stick. You can sit in the car (nice and toasty now with the hearting on) and watch a netflix movie. By the time the movie's done you're pretty much good to go. You can also go completely ham and get a mini kettle like me and enjoy a cuppa while watching netflix. :-)

Hope this helps,

Trav
scotty c

Post by scotty c »

thanks for the reply and tips.

So looks like i will be heater on and i will have to charge it every day. I live just outside Tarves and travel in the B999 into town and then along to the beach to work next to the harbour. My brother has been using Scarf charger for his ID4. think it only give him an hour charge FOC, there is also one at the science centre just off the boulevard that hes also used, We will have the charger at work fitted by the time i get the car so i shouldn't need them.

How long does the battery take to charge from say 20% to 100% on a 6.6kw

Ive seen a white one on my commute, think they must live in Newmachar. spotted a grey one the other day on the way to my test drive, that was great as i haven't seen one in the flesh. the wife wanted black, but she never washes has to wash the car so got over ruled.
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Welcome.

I do 20 miles each way a day with around 24 miles of that on 70 mph dual carriageway.

This is a chart of my charge (and bit of preheating before leaving for work)

My daily charge is about 2 ½ hours to cover that using octopus go faster tariff indicated by blue line.

Screenshot_20210521-131029.png

Ex e owner
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

:P Welcome, you have chosen the best colour!
2020 e Advance : Modern Steel Metallic + blue accent :mrgreen:
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

With a 6.6kW charger it would charge around 20% per hour. With 3 pin plug (2.3kW) around 6 to 7% per hour.
In order to drive efficiently you have to keep an eye on the Blue meter on the right hand side of the screen in front of the driver.
The lower you keep that when going forward the better the mileage you will do. Even when accelerating keep it as low as you can.
Plugging it in everyday is the best you can do for the longevity of the battery. Charging it to 100% and waiting to go around 0% before you plug it in is not good as batteries do not like deep charges. Try to keep it between 30% and 70% if you can. If you cannot, is not the end of the world anyway.
Nebrog23

Post by Nebrog23 »

Welcome

If your undecided on the 17” I would definitely find a car with 16” to try.
See a post a made below. Either way you will love the car.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=837
scotty c

Post by scotty c »

I did read that post about the wheels. Will see how I get on. Might want to buy a spare set of wheels with winters anyway
MichaelH

Post by MichaelH »

Hello - I'm in Dundee so if you're down this way and see a charge yellow, chances are it'll be me! Had it about a month and I love it.... the range is very poor of course but I mostly do short trips round Angus and Fife so I'm not too bothered. I haven't got a charge point at home yet but there are plenty in Dundee and it's cheap.... plus I don't have to worry about getting parking in Broughty Ferry any more! Time will tell if it becomes tricky for the few longer journeys I sometimes have to make. Michael
scotty c

Post by scotty c »

So my car arrives at the dealer yesterday, they are going to prep it Monday and I’m going to collect it Wednesday morning as the sales guy that I’ve been dealing with is off Tuesdays.

Can’t wait