Newbie from Thornbury, South Glos.

New to the Honda E Forums? Introduce yourself here
86swhi

Post by 86swhi »

Hi Ladies and Gents, hope you're all good.

Well, I've been sucked in.

Paid my deposit on a white Advance yesterday and it should be ready W/C 6th September. I'm already counting down the milliseconds!

Completely new to owning an electric car in the UK so any tips for newbies would be amazing. I'm more used to big engine German saloons so quite the switch for me. I wasn't using my E-Class estate and sold it a couple of months ago and thought the Honda would be ideal as I don't need a lot of range and love the looks (as should everyone!).

I've already started downloading various charging point provider apps and completing the sign-ups for when I need them. Also started asking around for quotes on a home charger.

I've watched a tonne of YouTube reviews and owners thoughts. Come across the wireless Android Auto trick and video in motion work around.

I'm going to need some kind of heavy duty cover for the boot and back of the rear seats - if anyone has come across anything. Otherwise I might need to steal the Mrs sowing machine..... :)

Anyway - thanks for having me. Cheers,

Steve
Thornbury, South Gloucestershire, UK
Sept 2021 Advance in White
Rolec Home Charger

londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Welcome.

If this is a demo/used car then I'd recommend doing a factory reset on the infotainment system (to make sure there's nobody elses info or settings remaining), though the aquarium will deleted it can be re-downloaded.

As you're new to EVs, I'd suggest just getting out for a drive & start with trying out the different modes (one pedal / paddles / brake hold, etc). Also I would try and persevere with using the camera rear view mirror for as long as you can before giving up on it if you find it odd, as well as having a look at trying the 2 different door mirror modes (normal/wide).

There's so much to take in, not only being a new car but also being an EV, so enjoy it and when you get some time, sit inside, ensure that the car is fully powered on (i.e. green car with double headed arrow underneath on the top left of the meter/dash display) then spend some time going through all the menu options. These can be confusing to remember exactly where each is but at least you'll know they exist if you do this.

Finally don't worry about range anxiety (we all expierence this) but it'll probably be on your mind for a long time to come, I have accepted that it exists & I use the battery % SoC as a range meter, e.g. 56% battery=56miles (this will depend on weather conditions & driving style but most people should be safe to assume this rule of thumb). If I have 70%, then I know that I'll easily get to work & back (50 mile round trip).
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

Just to say, welcome! We all sucked down to this "e" hole and gathering here ;)
Last edited by Marmite on Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
2020 e Advance : Modern Steel Metallic + blue accent :mrgreen:
SuperRocket61

Post by SuperRocket61 »

Welcome!

For home made boot mats see my post and pic of my mats using rubber floor matting from Amazon. They are working well.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=909&p=10095&hilit=boot+mats#p10095
86swhi

Post by 86swhi »

londiniumperson wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:18 pm Welcome.

If this is a demo/used car then I'd recommend doing a factory reset on the infotainment system (to make sure there's nobody elses info or settings remaining), though the aquarium will deleted it can be re-downloaded.

As you're new to EVs, I'd suggest just getting out for a drive & start with trying out the different modes (one pedal / paddles / brake hold, etc). Also I would try and persevere with using the camera rear view mirror for as long as you can before giving up on it if you find it odd, as well as having a look at trying the 2 different door mirror modes (normal/wide).

There's so much to take in, not only being a new car but also being an EV, so enjoy it and when you get some time, sit inside, ensure that the car is fully powered on (i.e. green car with double headed arrow underneath on the top left of the meter/dash display) then spend some time going through all the menu options. These can be confusing to remember exactly where each is but at least you'll know they exist if you do this.

Finally don't worry about range anxiety (we all expierence this) but it'll probably be on your mind for a long time to come, I have accepted that it exists & I use the battery % SoC as a range meter, e.g. 56% battery=56miles (this will depend on weather conditions & driving style but most people should be safe to assume this rule of thumb). If I have 70%, then I know that I'll easily get to work & back (50 mile round trip).
Hi Londiniumperson,

Thank you :) It's a new one - apparently Honda E's are stored at Portbury docks when they reach the UK and they had stock available to deliver next week.

Thanks for the tip on the rear view - I did turn it off on the test drive but noticed it would be adjusted. I'll stick at it.

I'm one of those twisted sickos that enjoys reading through the settings so that'll be fun.

Where do you normally let the range get to before you start prioritising a top-up over reaching the destination? On longer journeys that is.

Cheers,
Steve
Rolec Home Charger
86swhi

Post by 86swhi »

Marmite wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:26 am Just to say, welcome! We all sucked sown to this "e" hole and gathering here ;)
Thanks Marmite! There would be worse places to end up I guess... :D
Rolec Home Charger
86swhi

Post by 86swhi »

SuperRocket61 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:38 am Welcome!

For home made boot mats see my post and pic of my mats using rubber floor matting from Amazon. They are working well.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=909&p=10095&hilit=boot+mats#p10095
Thanks SuperRocket61 - this might well be perfect! We still have a diesel SUV for longer trips with the dog but, at some point, he is probably going to have to get in it even if it's a vet trip. And unfortunately he's pretty damn big!

Might be able to protect the wheel arch bumps too with some appropriate fabric, velcro and double sided tape...hmmmmm :idea:
Rolec Home Charger
Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

Welcome Steve. Great e decision
There is much e information on this forum and very helpful people with lots of knowledge if you have any questions.
Enjoy. We all know you will
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

86swhi wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:09 am ...
I'm one of those twisted sickos that enjoys reading through the settings so that'll be fun.
Steve
Steve, it sounds like you'll fit right in :lol:

Like you we also have a diesel SUV for longer trips or when there are 5 of us, so I very rarely go anywhere near the limit of the Honda's maximum range of a full charge.
As long as the GOM (guess O meter) tells me that I have enough to get home, then I've no intention of stopping for a charge. I've intentionally run it down to zero & others have inadvertently also been there, see here I drove at 0% battery today! and there's definitely still some juice left.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current