Rare as Hens teeth

All Honda E related discussions
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

advance2020 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:47 pm Thanks ChesterUK for this. It would seem that Honda have done little to promote the premium features, build quality, tech and engineering that could “justify” price tag. They have relied heavy on Press coverage, YouTube reviews etc some of which have glossed over the details like rear wheel drive advantage, and excellent suspension set up x 4 which costs, and limits boot space. Plus lots of tech/safety features ACC etc and good Battery Management, which again adds cost but prolongs life. And perhaps people just think of it as a City car, because of range. In current weather 120 miles is easily predicted @ 95% SoC
I do not consider the e a city car... They can say whatever they want in the press but my experience is different... Anyone who visits my Instagram would know that... If I'd love like a bigger battery? Absolutely... If I think it's the car worst handicap... No.
And as the infrastructure increases... It will soon be a non issue... Every charge stop I make 90% of the time will not just be for that. Eat.. shopping.. even just to stretch my legs.
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂

advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

Just did a Search on Autotrader. 87 cars offered for Sale in the UK - 36 New and 51 Used - most Used are offered at around £25k, so I guess the demand is not strong. But then it's tough times.
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons
richt

Post by richt »

Perhaps Honda thought there were a lot more hipsters around with £30k to spare...or bet on rational thought winning the day...I think the issue is range and price for virtually everyone. It's not perfect but I've never had I car I enjoy driving as much as the e, and I think there's virtually nothing to match it on the roads for design/styling at any price - the vibe inside, and the beautifully judged minimalism of the shape on the outside - not many other four doors with frameless doors to achieve that fantastic, almost seamless 2-part body/cabin mix - I absolutely love the look of this car. I'm very pleased I took the plunge, although I agree it's a sobering thought that a car with the rare virtues that the e has can be sunk (in pure sales terms) by mass market perceptions around range.
ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

FDAD wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:15 am I do not consider the e a city car... They can say whatever they want in the press but my experience is different... Anyone who visits my Instagram would know that... If I'd love like a bigger battery? Absolutely... If I think it's the car worst handicap... No.
I agree, but have to ask what you think the worst handicap of the car is?
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

I get why Teslas are popular. They are in a class of their own, with their charging infrastructure. I also understand why Renault have sold shed loads of Zoes. They are great value for money, and the new ones look better.
And maybe people who bought the original querky BMW i3 have traded up to their new one, regardless of the small suicide doors. Perhaps some are reluctant to switch brands. They stick with what they know. So maybe that explains why the Mini e out sells the Honda e, even though it's not a true BEV. Also early adopters, who bought an early Nissan Leaf might trade up to their latest more expensive offer. Some will have waited for the VW offer, an ID3 or ID4. And there are others like the Corsa, and the MG and Peugeot, Mokka etc for those who need a large SUV crossover.

But given the initial hype around the Honda e and all that it offers, in design, style, tech, handling etc. I still remain baffled as to why Honda Dealers have not managed to shift a few more. Is it because it was marketed as a City Car? Those with money are moving out of Cities, and need the range. Maybe it appeals to the young, but they can't afford one.

I would love to hear from Marmite, and other female owner/drivers how they feel about the Honda e. And what they like about it. Surely it appeals to both sexes. It's not a macho car.

And let's hear more from our European neighbours. Has it sold in Norway, the land of the EV? And how many of us have owned Hondas before? Maybe Honda is not perceived as Premium brand. Surely being built in Japan means quality, as good as German, but maybe the marque is not perceived as highly and hence can't justify the high price that a BMW, Audi or Mercedes can?
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

ZoeDave wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:07 pm
FDAD wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:15 am I do not consider the e a city car... They can say whatever they want in the press but my experience is different... Anyone who visits my Instagram would know that... If I'd love like a bigger battery? Absolutely... If I think it's the car worst handicap... No.
Not sure there are any bad features. The boot space is small by comparison, but more than big enough for me. Also it is very easy to drop the rear seat if required. The “poor range” is not a handicap in practice, as long as you plan for longer journeys, and use reliable Rapids like InstaVolt. There is no shortage of charging options out there. The power and performance is more than adequate. Handling and ease of driving great. I love One Pedal mode, with auto-brake. And the interior is spacious. Great ergonomics. Lots knobs and buttons, as well as displays/touch screen. The car is quiet. Good at higher speeds, not too much road, or air drag noise. Cameras for parking are brilliant. Lots of tech like ACC assisted cruise control. And very easy to clean. What's not to love. (Please don't mention the My Honda + app).
Humungus

Post by Humungus »

And let's hear more from our European neighbours. Has it sold in Norway, the land of the EV? And how many of us have owned Hondas before?
Well it doesn't sell at all in the Netherlands. I have not seen any other E in the wild so far!! I bought a 10 months old Dealer demo for a great price and absolutely love it. But then my daily commute is only 30 miles so no problem with range at all. Allthough with current temperatures I get 130 miles easilly so range is not so bad at all. At least not around this time of year. And by the way, this is my second Honda. I've owned a 1995 Civic Coupe for 5 years and that never let me down. Honda's are great cars and I have great faith in them!
tim.uk

Post by tim.uk »

advance2020 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:34 pm There is no shortage of charging options out there.
Oh, but there is a great shortage. And a lot of what is out there is unreliable. It all depends where you live!
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

advance2020 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:34 pm
ZoeDave wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:07 pm
(Please don't mention the My Honda + app).
I have say the infotainment system... (My Honda + app was another failed promise isn't even available) I know many disagree but I was sold a different experience that didn't fulfil my expectations. Having «Just» 6kw AC charging is a bummer since most ac chargers here are 22kw whenever a 50kw DC isn't available. Meh top speed.. 180km/h would be ideal at least here even if it was just for short periods of time.
Now the very best thing is driving.. this has so much potential. :) This 27th I have gone to my first dealer annual check and at 21510kms they said everything mechanical was great and I just needed rear tires. 29€ tax inc was the receipt + free vacuum/wash.

When these cars begin to have 300kms range + 150kw charging rates the gap between gas and EVs will be a non issue.
Mind you I didn't talk about the cars price...

Here is my little E getting to know were his energy comes from.

182881022_1731549353713177_4500774780281975446_n.jpg

As a side note I'm planing in investing in HONDA i-HDS probably in September if you know what that is great but i'll not go into many details here.
That should open plenty of possibilities.
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

I agree on the observations. I live 2km away from the nearest owner, and work with another. Besides those I have only seen a handful in the wild.

The fact that Honda basically stopped selling the car, I think points in the direction that they are not interested in selling any more - at the moment at least.

History of EV cars is full of 'compliance cars'; cars developed and sold in small numbers and most often the manufacturer is loosing money on every single one they sell. Usually brought to market to test or demonstrate technology, to satisfy authorities or simply as a marketing stunt. Most, if not all, hydrogen EVs are also like that.
A special case is VW E-Up! of which they could sell a lot, but they keep pausing production when they have sold 'enough'!?

Update: I just checked the danish database: 90 registered, only 2 of those sold this year. Highest vin number ....6358.
Last edited by Trykpaa on Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post