Can someone explain the basics of the Honda E?

All Honda E related discussions
DaveD62

Can someone explain the basics of the Honda E?

Post by DaveD62 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:49 am

The misses actually took an interest in electric cars last year and a friend from work recommended she get the Honda E as it is supposedly a great introduction to electric vehicles. I honestly don't know much about them, even after doing some light reading. Is this a good starter to do with?

s2ke

Re: Can someone explain the basics of the Honda E?

Post by s2ke » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:34 am

there arent that many options right now

Zoe
Tesla
e

can all be had around or below 30k

the Honda is a different propisition, billed as a small luxury car.. should be in showrooms Q2 2020

Electra

Post by Electra » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:54 pm

s2ke wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:34 am

Zoe
Tesla
e

the Honda is a different propisition, billed as a small luxury car.. should be in showrooms Q2 2020
The new Zoe is about £30k for a decent spec, and includes a home charger installation. The Tesla M3 is more like £40k.

The Honda e “Advance” I’ve ordered with be about £29k.

There are plenty of others becoming available too. As with any car, it all depends on what features are important to you and how much you can afford. Personally I’d have an e and a Tesla if I could afford them. Both high-tech and desirable but different size/range/price.

s2ke

Post by s2ke » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:55 am

i wouldnt buy a tesla in the UK at the mo, they arent really established here if anything goes wrong and that seems more than likely :D

slthough i like the X its too big for the city where i live

the Honda i could use but it couldnt be an only car

keithr

Post by keithr » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:18 pm

s2ke wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:34 am

Zoe
Tesla
e

And of course, the Nissan LEAF, which is the best selling electric car that's been around since 2011, so there are cheaper secondhand LEAFs available. They're great cars, nice to drive. The second generation, from March/April 2018 on, are better with a bigger battery pack and therefore longer range. I have a 2018 40kWh Nissan LEAF and I think it's a fantastic car. It's around a Ford Focus sized car, but I've always prefered smaller cars, which is why I'm interested in the Honda e. To have the Nissan LEAF's level of refinement and specification, but in a smaller and more manoeuvrable car sounds good to me, plus the Honda e has a few more features too (like the mirror camera systems, heated front windscreen, 230v outlet). For me, the only downsides to the Honda e compared to the LEAF are a much smaller boot, the rear seats don't split, and a shorter range (but adequate for me).

Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:30 pm

My wife has a Mini Countryman PHEV. She’s done about 7000 miles in a year. Of which 6000 have been electric miles. This got me thinking about my next car being an EV. 90% of my journeys are less than 50 miles. The pcp on my Mini JCW comes up end March. I had deposits on the Honda e, VW ID3 and Peugeot e208. And to me the Honda looks amazing. I’ve had the opportunity to sit in and have a play. It meets my needs as I like a small car. And the range will be fine. I will get a second EV charger at home. Charge overnight on the Octopus Go tariff. And save loads.
If you aren’t with Octopus Energy, please check them out and use this link and we both get £50
https://share.octopus.energy/sunny-elk-398

Rei

Post by Rei » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:12 pm

The Honda e has the best tech and comfort but the range is on the low side and the boot is small. If it suits your needs then it looks great.

The Leaf is available in two versions, 40kWh and 62kWh. The 40 is popular because you can get it for around £20k now and like the Honda it covers most uses. The 62 is about £30k now and gives you over 200 miles range. Both are larger than the Honda so if you need a decent boot are a good choice. The interior is dated but they drive well enough and are comfortable.

There is also the Zoe, personally I didn't like it when I tried it but that was a few years back. Tesla are still very expensive, MG make a nice CUV that has a similar battery to the Honda but for the money I'd probably get a Leaf 40.

Generally speaking cars like the MG and VWs that are petrol cars converted to electric aren't usually as good as dedicated electric models. For that reason the new Mini Electric is probably going to be compromised too.

If you are looking to dabble with a second car or daily commuter then a used Leaf is a good option. There isn't much to go wrong with them. If you want a really nice car though the Honda e looks unbeatable!