Tyre wear

All Honda E related discussions
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

I've ordered a whole set of primacy 4s with a little compromise. Getting fitted Tuesday morning at the ludicrous price of £464. I shall keep the fronts however and flog them.

There is a new e.Primacy tyre just released, but nothing low profile enough for the fronts (only 50 profile in 205).

The manual for 17 inch wheels lists the required load and speed rating as:

front 205/45/17 weight 88 speed Y
rear 225/45/17 weight 94 speed Y

This is what is fitted also currently to my diamond cut rims from the factory.

Y rating is for 186mph which is double the top speed lol. You will struggle to find tyres at this rating that are 'e' suitable (low resistance, low noise). In fact, there is very little that is quiet and has little rolling resistance that has this speed and load rating. The primacy 4 only meets the euro A/A/68db rating for a specific BMW homologated tyre and that's only available for the rears (not run flats).

The fronts are somehow more expensive generally , lower speed rating (had to settle for V rated, only 149mph), and only rated A/B/68db.

I found kwikfit had the best tyre selection and filtering widget on their website. I did find an A/A rated tyre for the front size (some hankook ventus ones but don't like mismatches, despite them being perfectly decent mid range tyres).

Looking forward to getting some increased mileage / efficiency out of them. Will report back after they are fitted. Hopefully a little quieter too.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi

Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

EEEE wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:14 pm I've ordered a whole set of primacy 4s with a little compromise. Getting fitted Tuesday morning at the ludicrous price of £464. I shall keep the fronts however and flog them.

There is a new e.Primacy tyre just released, but nothing low profile enough for the fronts (only 50 profile in 205).

The manual for 17 inch wheels lists the required load and speed rating as:

front 205/45/17 weight 88 speed Y
rear 225/45/17 weight 94 speed Y

This is what is fitted also currently to my diamond cut rims from the factory.

Y rating is for 186mph which is double the top speed lol. You will struggle to find tyres at this rating that are 'e' suitable (low resistance, low noise). In fact, there is very little that is quiet and has little rolling resistance that has this speed and load rating. The primacy 4 only meets the euro A/A/68db rating for a specific BMW homologated tyre and that's only available for the rears (not run flats).

The fronts are somehow more expensive generally , lower speed rating (had to settle for V rated, only 149mph), and only rated A/B/68db.

I found kwikfit had the best tyre selection and filtering widget on their website. I did find an A/A rated tyre for the front size (some hankook ventus ones but don't like mismatches, despite them being perfectly decent mid range tyres).

Looking forward to getting some increased mileage / efficiency out of them. Will report back after they are fitted. Hopefully a little quieter too.
yes please, i am interested to know the jump in efficiency. I never had a tyre with A as efficiency.
pk87

Post by pk87 »

Hi I have changed the types to Michelin CrossClimate 2 and I get a lot better efficiency than on Pilot Sport 4:

Screenshot at Oct 25 11-58-59.png

Normally with Pilot Sport 4 I got on the same route (and with better weather conditions) average 17.5 kWh/100km, and here 14.1 kWh/100km.
Conditions:
Driving Speed: mixed - Vmax = 105 km/h, generally kept 90 km/h.
Driving settings:
  • On City areas: One pedal
  • Outside the city a lot of lift and coast
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

pk87 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:04 am Hi I have changed the types to Michelin CrossClimate 2 and I get a lot better efficiency than on Pilot Sport 4:
Screenshot at Oct 25 11-58-59.png
Normally with Pilot Sport 4 I got on the same route (and with better weather conditions) average 17.5 kWh/100km, and here 14.1 kWh/100km.
Conditions:
Driving Speed: mixed - Vmax = 105 km/h, generally kept 90 km/h.
Driving settings:
  • On City areas: One pedal
  • Outside the city a lot of lift and coast
I avg 16.4 kWh with my pilot sport 4
This seems a great improvement!
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

I've been a fan of the Primacy's for many years on a number of front wheel drive 150bhp diesels (so heavy on front tyre wear) and found them to be very good in all UK weather conditions as well as longevity. I think that they're good value for anyone that keeps cars long enough to need to regularly replace tyres. A budget option are Khumo PS range which are about 75% of the cost of the Primacy's but then again only last 75% of the mileage, so better for those that only do a lower annual mileage or switch out cars regularly.
I've never considered the Cross Climates until now, but it's difficult to find reliable information as to the comparison to the Primacy's, all I seem to have worked out is that the CC's are better in winter, but worse in summer so possibly best for those in the UK that use separate winter/summer wheels/tyres.

The e.Primacy will be on my short list along with the Dunlop Sport BluResponse, Yokohama BluEarth, Goodyear EfficientGrip & Bridgestone Turanza. Some of these aren't available in the 205 profile, so I'll review my list nearer the time that I need new boots.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

Interesting to see the improvement with the CrossClimate 2's. I wanted the 17 inch rims as I preferred the look over the 16's, but PS4's are not the best choice for low rolling resistance and I am not driving it like I stole it. I also have an SUV, 4 wheel drive which is proving nigh impossible to find a set of suitable all season tyres. I no longer need winter tyres, but a set of all seasons would give me the potential mobility for the few days a year I might need it. A set of all seasons on the e, would be the cheapest option, even though it's an odd choice considering a 4 x 4 is sitting on the drive.
Interested to hear further updates on the CrossClimate 2's as you add more miles.
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Had a set of primacy 4s fitted yesterday after a little hassle.

Drove 17 miles to the Kwikfit only to find out my tyres weren't there.

Chap said he could get them later that day. So I drive home, and then back there again later in the day when tyres have arrived. Despite having discussed the difference in tyre sizes front and rear etc, this didn't get relayed to the tyre fitters who promptly fitted the 205s to the rear wheels instead of the 225s. They somehow got into a muddle because they wanted to jack the vehicle up to remove the errant wheel, but were advised against it because their training states electric vehicles cannot be jacked in certain configurations (assume because in some vehicle designs the battery pack may be a structural member).

After an eternity it seemed, I was on my way. Shame really as the last 2 trips there have been hassle free (admittedly on one occasion I took just loose wheels).

The primacy 4 is quieter. I wouldn't say much quieter, but enough to warrant their consideration (the frequency of the noise seems a little higher, so less 'boomy' in the cabin). I can already feel the car is firmer on its feet and feels more like how a small hatchback should rather than how it felt before. I will reset my A trip counter and get a read on the mileage, its hard to say from the one return journey, but I can already tell coasting feels easier and the car is more eager under very light pedal inputs so I'm confident the efficiency will go up.
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

EEEE wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:27 am Had a set of primacy 4s fitted yesterday after a little hassle.

Chap said he could get them later that day. So I drive home, and then back there again later in the day when tyres have arrived. Despite having discussed the difference in tyre sizes front and rear etc, this didn't get relayed to the tyre fitters who promptly fitted the 205s to the rear wheels instead of the 225s. They somehow got into a muddle because they wanted to jack the vehicle up to remove the errant wheel, but were advised against it because their training states electric vehicles cannot be jacked in certain configurations (assume because in some vehicle designs the battery pack may be a structural member).

After an eternity it seemed, I was on my way. Shame really as the last 2 trips there have been hassle free (admittedly on one occasion I took just loose wheels).

The primacy 4 is quieter. I wouldn't say much quieter, but enough to warrant their consideration (the frequency of the noise seems a little higher, so less 'boomy' in the cabin). I can already feel the car is firmer on its feet and feels more like how a small hatchback should rather than how it felt before. I will reset my A trip counter and get a read on the mileage, its hard to say from the one return journey, but I can already tell coasting feels easier and the car is more eager under very light pedal inputs so I'm confident the efficiency will go up.
That's great, those are my same feelings in the past when I changed to more efficient tyres so they must be more efficient.
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

EEEE wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:27 am Had a set of primacy 4s fitted yesterday after a little hassle.

Are you satisfied with the primacy 4?
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

The tyres are quiteer and the comfort is slightly improved. The handling feel is better - more nimble and like a small hatchback should feel. I can't comment on outright grip as the e is my grandad car - my boy racer days are over (until i decide to drive the prelude that is!). I certainly havent had any grip or traction issues, despite driving on many muddy country roads and the occasional abrupt manouver.

I havent checked my long term consumption average recently (which i rhad eset after fitting the tyres). What with the dark and cold weather, i suspect my average consumption has remained the same, so a real world improvement if comparing like for like. It was still at 3.5miles/kWh

I also noticed the other day a brand new polestar 2 was fitted with primacy 4s also, so probably a sensible choice. I have no idea what honda were thinking - must have been a cost / geographical consideration.
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post