Manchester to London

All Honda E related discussions
CDot

Post by CDot »

Hello,

this weekend I am embarking on an adventurous trip from Manchester to London in my Honda-e.

I used a ABRP to help plan the journey and have 2 x recharge stops along the way. These stations have ample EV points so hopefully availability won't be a problem:

- Moto Hilton Park - 60kw charger provided by Ecotricity (67 miles from start)
- Milton Keynes - 350kw charger by Ionity (79 miles from start) - I release we won't get the 350kw with the Honda-e.

If all goes to plan, we should arrive at destination with circa 20 miles on the battery. I've not planned the return journey yet, as we might be stopping at Kew Gardens so will aim to use a nearby slow charger for a few hours.

Reading advice from the other forum chats, I will:
- cap my M.way driving to 65 mph
- go gently on the acceleration
- try to glide behind HGV to reduce wind resistance
- we won't be using the heating or air con

Other than the above, does anyone have any more tips at all?

Am I best off driving even slower to conserve battery, or would this be counter productive considering we have 2 x recharges planned?

Also, when charging along the way, instinctively I'd like to get as much juice as possible, but apparently charging to 100% might be counter intuitive due to the extra time needed to get the final 5%.

Any advice would be very much appreciated and I will update on the adventure upon my return.

Thank you =)
Last edited by CDot on Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FMIB

Post by FMIB »

My advice would be to drive normally, speed between 60-70mph depending on the traffic flow and use the air-con and heater where necessary. If needed plan another charge stop. With the fast chargers you have indicated, stops will be short and you might as well be comfortable and enjoy the drive.
But that's just me, I am sure others will have more experience on maximising the range on long trips
Minky92

Post by Minky92 »

Spooky, I'm planning roughly the same journey on Sunday! Thanks for the heads up on those charging points, I'll look out for those. Planning to come back up on the same day too, so really hoping I'll find a rapid charger in London itself...
MattHero

Post by MattHero »

CDot wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:53 am
- Milton Keynes - 350kw charger by Ionity (79 miles from start) - I release we won't get the 350kw with the Honda-e.
You never know, there might even be one of the BP Pulse chargers on the same site that isn't blocked by a MK Connect van and working where you get there as they are 1/2 the cost of Ionity. I've been lucky on my visits there so far.

I guess another back-up plan that's nearby is Moto Toddington, which has a couple of the new Gridserve replacement chargers, on both carrigeways.
Advance Charge Yellow on 16s.
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

With the wether forecast to be very mild this weekend, I’d say just use the climate controls to stay comfortable on your journey, and it won’t make that much of an impact over the hour and a bit between charges.

If it’s 79 motorway miles between charge 1 and 2, you will need to charge to a least 90% to avoid a very stressful approach to stop 2 with only a couple of percent charge remaining. Allow the best part of an hour for stop 1.
Be prepared to pay £££ at Ionity!
schodoodles

Post by schodoodles »

You can probably skip the Ionity at MK and use the BP Pulse thats at the same coach park location (M1 J14?). They will offer the same speed as this is limited to CCS 50kw but will be considerably cheaper!
Maybe get a few apps downloaded ready for the charging like BpPulse & Ecotricity's Electric Highway if not already and charger mapping apps such as ZapMap and Plugshare for good measure.

I;d also highly recommend having a backup charger already in mind for your stops as a fallback option incase of charger issues. I remember someone posting here recently about being caught out and I know my local BP Pulse fast charger simply doesn't like my e so definitely worth having lined up.
basic

Post by basic »

I did this exact journey a few weeks ago. Stick to InstaVolt and Gridserve network and there will be no problems!
ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

Very off topic, but if the weather is nice, I really recommend visiting Kew if you haven't before.

Both times I've been I've started off angry at the admission price, and left wondering if I should get a yearly pass.
ChesterUK

Post by ChesterUK »

@CDot and @Minky92 How did you get on with your journeys? I hope and would assume relatively fuss free, quiet and comfortable.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post