Shopping center charging

All Honda E related discussions
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

Took a drive to Bluewater to check the viability of driving there next time in the Honda. There are 8 points which I found. Checked the app which said 4 charging, 4 not, however all 8 spots were taken and plugged in. This was 10 mins before shop opening times. I assume 4 of the cars were fully charged but still occupying the spots.
At least half were plug in hybrids not full EV’s
It’s a risk for me to take the Honda in the winter without being able to charge to get home.
If the app does not really show if the spot is occupied, I can’t see myself taking the risk and perhaps have to sit around for hours waiting for a car to move.
How do forum members deal with this?

FMIB

Post by FMIB »

I took another look 5 hours later, 4 charging points being shown free, when in fact 2 where free, but one had a BMW X5 in, no charging cable attached, 1 was free and the other 2 both had cars connected. One car, an Audi A3, looked like it had been there for the duration.
So in this case, the Pod Point app is rather useless for Bluewater.
I guess as more and more people get plug in hybrids, the demand for charging spaces will increase, problematic for full EV's that might need a charge to get home.
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

There isn't much you can do really. I see similar in other locations where there is 'free' 7kw charging. At the 2 local tescos the 4x 7kw are normally always taken. Perhaps it's because they are at the front, an excuse to use them even if not really needed. Let's be honest also - we are still in the honeymoon period where having an EV is a novelty/luxury and parking in special bays makes everyone feel special.

I suspect that if users had to pay or overcome some small administrative hurdle, 'overparking' would be reduced.

I see the same at oxford westgate carpark. A large number of spaces in a prime location 'on view' from the stairwell, but you see the same cars parked regularly and 'making the most' of the free charging, at the expense of visiting EVs which might be in greater need. The first 3 weeks of my 'e' ownership were like that until I got my home charger. I suspect with the rapid adoption of EVs , 'free' public charging will become under ever-higher un-met demand.

No one wants to pay 40p/unit at a rapid charger, when you can get it for free elsewhere. I do not use public slow chargers now, there is just too much jeopardy in relying on them. I have a long trip planned at the end of the month (Oxford -> London -> Leicester). I won't be able to rely on public slow/free points (despite being parked up for hours at a time in each area), so I will simply have to plan for the rapid charges enroute and pay for the privilege.

Also, thinking of the economics of the situation, if people are unwilling to pay 40p/unit CCS where they can avoid it - there is less financial incentive for more of them to be built. With that in mind, I will always choose the CCS rapid chargers, because my use of it promotes more to be built. Using free 7kw chargers only adds to the electricity bill of the host, and does little to encourage more to be installed. I haven't seen any pay-for 7kw chargers. Again with the relative newness of EV adoption, it is still very much considered a 'status' thing to have an EV. You're average joe will be unaffected by such issues, and will probably feel little sympathy for EV owners (the majority of which are expensive vehicles). Until EVs become an everyday thing, i don't think it will improve too much.

I'd quite happily use 7kw chargers and pay for them in the appropriate places (Like car parks where it makes sense as im parked for 3 or 4 hours) but since they are free to use, it just becomes a free for all that can't be relied upon.

That might seem like quite a strange mindset, but imagine a free and very slow petrol pump - no cost = less than considerate usage. You would never get a look in at that pump. That's how I view the free 7kw slots.

How all of those economic and social issues could be resolved is anyones guess however....
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

Some good points. I would not have an issue paying for a 7kw charger as I would need it in this circumstance, maybe replacing free with a payment will help manage the availability. I would also like to see a £10 or £20 additional charge if left for more than say 30/45 mins once fully charged which would hopefully stop the few selfish ones who leave a car parked up for a full day.
As it stands, little incentive for me to take the Honda instead of my polluting ICE and I wonder how this will be addressed as we head to 2030
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

Does anyone have, or tried using the NeedToCharge app?
I have it, rarely use it, and yet to find another car registered.
It is great idea, if a lot of EV and PHEV drivers bother to use it.

Regarding Tesco/PodPoint: although they are getting more popular, I find most people move on after their shop. I did “overstay” once on 3hr Parking, which cost me £60. Never again!
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons
ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

The solution in my eyes is to have as many 3 kW points as possible. 7 kW would be great, but the goal should be to have enough charging spots to allow anyone to plug in for free, with no need to moan about PHEVs or people plugged in while fully charged. Then there can be a few DC chargers, rigorously policed with a very high cost so only those who need to use them do.
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

I read this comment that was posted on Zap-Map, which I suppose sums it up:
Managed to get a space for the first time in 2 years! Monopoly on the spaces by Bluewater workers. As one became free, another was miraculously there, ready to take his spot.

Whilst I agree more points are needed, I don’t think multiple 3kw points will resolve the issue. I’d have to camp out to get enough charge to get home
ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

FMIB wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:38 am I read this comment that was posted on Zap-Map, which I suppose sums it up:
Managed to get a space for the first time in 2 years! Monopoly on the spaces by Bluewater workers. As one became free, another was miraculously there, ready to take his spot.

Whilst I agree more points are needed, I don’t think multiple 3kw points will resolve the issue. I’d have to camp out to get enough charge to get home
Totally agree that 3kW points are a bit rubbish, though maybe putting in 10-20 in an area where workers at the center can charge would probably work wonders on public charger availability. If you can't get home on 24kWh after an 8 hour shift you do have to at least reconsider your life choices.

My point -that I completely and utterly failed to make- is that in an ideal world there would be no difference between a charging spot and a parking space. All would have a modestly powered type2 plug available, and then there is no need for anger over ICEing and if there are parking charges, it would allow the ICE cars to subsidise free miles for the EVs.

A total pipe dream I know, but if you don't mind I have an appointment with Lord Lucan and I need to attend to my Unicorn...
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

ZoeDave wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:51 pm
FMIB wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:38 am I read this comment that was posted on Zap-Map, which I suppose sums it up:

Totally agree that 3kW points are a bit rubbish, though maybe putting in 10-20 in an area where workers at the center can charge would probably work wonders on public charger availability. If you can't get home on 24kWh after an 8 hour shift you do have to at least reconsider your life choices.

My point -that I completely and utterly failed to make- is that in an ideal world there would be no difference between a charging spot and a parking space. All would have a modestly powered type2 plug available, and then there is no need for anger over ICEing and if there are parking charges, it would allow the ICE cars to subsidise free miles for the EVs.

A total pipe dream I know, but if you don't mind I have an appointment with Lord Lucan and I need to attend to my Unicorn...
I agree a charging point in each parking spot is an ideal solution. With recent reports that once fully transitioned to an EV nation we won't be allowed to charge during the day due to fears of a collapse of the National Grid, the roll out of convenience charging points may never happen.

The proper solution would be wireless charging under most roads, however Unicorns will be everyones pet before that happens.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

FMIB wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:26 am The proper solution would be wireless charging under most roads, however Unicorns will be everyones pet before that happens.
Do really believe that wireless under road charging would ever be a sensible/viable option?
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post