Shopping center charging

All Honda E related discussions
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

londiniumperson wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:54 am
FMIB wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:26 am The proper solution would be wireless charging under most roads, however Unicorns will be everyones pet before that happens.
Do really believe that wireless under road charging would ever be a sensible/viable option?
Starting an infrastructure from scratch, yes, but we are not, so it will never happen.
It might become an option on peoples drive and I believe BMW have been running trials.

FMIB

Post by FMIB »

londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Wireless charging is significantly less efficient than a wired connection and therefore will cost significantly more to charge an EV also the environmental impact of not only the installation but the infrastructure and powering of a in ground unit but also the additional hardware required within the vehicle is not a viable solution with current technology.

That article is related to wireless charging whilst parking and is an on surface solution, not an under road solution as the previous post in this thread mentioned.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

londiniumperson wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:36 pm
Wireless charging is significantly less efficient than a wired connection and therefore will cost significantly more to charge an EV also the environmental impact of not only the installation but the infrastructure and powering of a in ground unit but also the additional hardware required within the vehicle is not a viable solution with current technology.

That article is related to wireless charging whilst parking and is an on surface solution, not an under road solution as the previous post in this thread mentioned.
I completely agree on all points. I also file the idea of 'solar roads' into the same category - an awesome idea, but completely impractical on many levels. Stationary wireless charging is certainly possible, but millions of cars wasting hundreds of watts each seems a bit dumb, not to mention the extra heat and RF pollution. I guess that in the future, when cars parking themselves with millimetre-accuracy is the norm there could be some sort of mating system and that would be cool, and I suspect another opportunity for a CCS vs Type2 vs Chademo style format war.

The closest thing I have seen to any road charging that seems viable is the idea of having a canopy over the roadway with solar panels. Whoever gets the energy, it would at least keep your car dry.
turntoport

Post by turntoport »

controlling the rf at 100+ kW will be interesting.
Anyone concerned about the effect their mobile phones have on their brain - look away now.

Positioning a car to centimetre accuracy is perfectly viable right now - Galileo can do that. (oh, damn, no uk involvement in Galileo anymore....England is going to develop it's own (!) Stupid waste of money or what.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post