20 and 21 model years - is it a thing??

All Honda E related discussions
Parker87

Post by Parker87 »

Hello everyone,
I'm new to the Forum and appreciate the add. I have a new E on order which should be available next week (Advanced, 17's, in White, no options).
I've been reading through lots of material, both on this Forum and elsewhere, and I've seen a couple of references to a Firmware update made last year which supposedly improved range (a bit!). I also notice that Honda have separate manuals online for 20 and 21 models.
So, my question is, are there any differences between the 20 and 21 cars please?
Also, I understand that software updates are not made OTA but do the dealers offer such updates as and when?
Meanwhile, thanks very much for the general wisdom of the group which has given me a lot of helpful information over recent weeks. :)

MattHero

Post by MattHero »

I think this should answer your model year query; viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1002
Advance Charge Yellow on 16s.
Parker87

Post by Parker87 »

Thanks Matt. I should have done a search myself! No excuses, sorry.
So, no differences. Perhaps Honda just wanted to go for the longest manual award with the 21 version.
MattHero

Post by MattHero »

Parker87 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:05 am Thanks Matt. I should have done a search myself! No excuses, sorry.
So, no differences. Perhaps Honda just wanted to go for the longest manual award with the 21 version.
No worries!

TBH, I'm already itching for Honda to start making noises about a proper update for 2023, to give me - and few others too, I would imagine - something of an option come the end of lease decision time. I would imagine that if that is going to happen, we should really be hearing something soon?
Parker87

Post by Parker87 »

Oh, don't say that! I'm in to this car for 5 years so I'm not wanting any major improvements after 2 - selfish I know.
Parker87

Post by Parker87 »

MattHero wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:14 am TBH, I'm already itching for Honda to start making noises about a proper update for 2023, to give me - and few others too, I would imagine - something of an option come the end of lease decision time. I would imagine that if that is going to happen, we should really be hearing something soon?
Parker87 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:40 pm Oh, don't say that! I'm in to this car for 5 years so I'm not wanting any major improvements after 2 - selfish I know.
I think I may have misunderstood you here Matt. By "a proper update for 2023", do you mean a whole new version of the car, or a major software upgrade applied to current cars? I've understood you to mean the former, but could be wrong.
MattHero

Post by MattHero »

Parker87 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:50 pm I think I may have misunderstood you here Matt. By "a proper update for 2023", do you mean a whole new version of the car, or a major software upgrade applied to current cars? I've understood you to mean the former, but could be wrong.
Oh, I was thinking of a proper v2.00. Although thinking about it since, 3 years for a mark upgrade is way too short.
Parker87

Post by Parker87 »

MattHero wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:55 pm Oh, I was thinking of a proper v2.00. Although thinking about it since, 3 years for a mark upgrade is way too short.
Yes, I think that 3 years would be very soon, but I see that there are reports of plans for an E SUV closely related to the hatch.

https://hondacarmodels.com/2023-honda-e-suv/
ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

Sorry if this is a bit negative, but I'm not confident that any update is forthcoming. Many are likely to know more than me, so please feel free to correct anything below.

I base my lack of confidence on the fact that, despite the chip shortage, and the car being built at least 4x the distance from home than any other I've bought, it was one of the quickest deliveries I've ever had. People are also buying crossovers and SUVs (urgh) rather than cars, and the top 10 EV sales charts have many more expensive cars on them, but the e is nowhere to be found.

Also, are we even sure that Honda are making a profit from the car? Does it even share many parts with other Hondas? (e.g. chassis) Despite already being expensive for the size and range (the mini EV, from a disputably more 'premium' brand costs about the same or even less on base trims), Honda UK have just put the price up again by £1k. From a business perspective, the halo effect and any zero emissions credits/incentives will only last so long. The e is a very hard sell on paper, and if that translates to low sales, it also means less profit in total and per car, and a distinct lack of interest in funding a

My depressing guess is that the e will either solider on for maybe 5 years max with minimal changes, or maybe be replaced by the electric SUV which might be called the e as well. Honda have already done something slightly similar with the Insight name. An inevitable trend is also starting where BEV technology is becoming a drivetrain for normal cars, and no longer a reason to design something special to highlight the fact. This was one of the reasons I bought one now, as I see the e as a bit of glitch in the matrix, where the fates aligned to make something that 99% of the time would be just an auto designer's dream become reality, and I didn't want to miss the opportunity. Most 'special' cars derive their appeal from the sheer amount of money they cost but park an e next to anything but the most exotic hypercar, and I'd bet most would gravitate towards the e. And that's very rare for a car that costs less than the average selling price of a new car in the UK (£38k apparently).

Of course I really hope that I'm wrong (I did buy one after all), and that in 5 years or so I'm trading it in for a similarly bonkers Mk2!
Parker87

Post by Parker87 »

Well ZoeDave, the E is certainly a niche product with limited appeal and I agree that Honda may well not produce a V2. I too was taken aback a bit by the immediate availability of the car and the obvious indication that they've not been flying out of the showrooms. Like you, I intend to keep the car for 5 years plus but who knows after that! Perhaps we'll be discussing our next move on this forum in 2026?! I hope you're enjoying yours - I'm certainly looking forward to getting mine soon. P.S. My dealer told me that there were only 2 whites available as of Tuesday and that there won't be another shipment from Japan until January.