Honda S+ charger now available...

All Honda E related discussions
turntoport

Post by turntoport »

for early adopters at a very reasonable (i.e. discounted via cashback) price and using Honda's E:progress energy flow management software. See here:

https://www.honda-eprogress.co.uk/

Worth noting that the requirement to adopt Octopus Agile has been extended to include the 'Go' tariffs; presumably switching to 'smart' (Agile/Intelligent) will return to popularity if/when electric energy prices return to wide variability (not a given, maybe, as ev takeup and other shifts to off-peak consumption become more widely adopted.
atb - ttp

nyx

Post by nyx »

Wow, they must have added Go during the day today. I was looking at that page earlier today and it definitely only said Agile.
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

At the moment, I don't see the point of these sophisticated tracking chargers.

Given that tarrifs exist down to 5p/unit, how much possible saving can there be on a variable rate? The increased cost of a charger will offset any savings for more than a couple of years. If you are doing a lot of miles - the chances are this is commuting, your mileage will be known and you will have to charge whether the tariff is cheap or not (eg, need to do 100miles tomorrow for work, better charge up 100miles worth), you wouldn't decide not to charge at a higher price because you want the saving because you can't get to work. "Sorry boss, not coming in today, electric was crazy expensive last night, woulda cost me an extra £1.32 to charge!"

If you don't do many miles, then any potential savings are never realised.

A lot of the advertising really annoys me on these products - it just doesn't make any sense from a financial perspective - yet the adverts really make a song and dance about the financial aspect, the headline of the advert in fact.

It could only make sense if:

1) your car had a massive battery so you can suck up all the cheap energy to ride you through any variable storms. The Honda e is not that car...
2) You had a stupidly expensive variable tariff in the first place.
3) you use up all those miles banked to realise the savings, whether you need to drive or not.
4) none of those miles are for commitment based commuting, because you will only get that price on average in the long term, not every night guaranteed.

Just my thoughts - I probably think too much...
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
turntoport

Post by turntoport »

EEEE; agree generally re the cost-benefits to e owners just now. However, last spring - an unusual period with 'lockdown') some folk were being paid handsomely to charge their cars at certain times. And that's the key to this whole area: The @agile'-type tariffs aren't about the cost benefit to YOU - they are created to manage the load on the grid - your car battery is just a useful storage device that can be accessed at-will (sort of) by the grid operators, so saving much money, effort and inefficiency by not having to install thermal over-capacity in the supply arena. In 10 years time i doubt there will be any 'dumb' tariffs...
Especially if the renewables sector does what is necessary, and installs lots of renewable overcapacity to create cheap energy provision for stuff like - storage battery/ev, hydro, zone-transfer etc....
atb - ttp
Isow

Post by Isow »

At the end of the day you can get a top quality
charger for £475.
That’s good value.
I’ve been using a granny charger for the last 13
months and that has worked well for me so far.
I have often wondered what I would do if I needed
a quicker charge in an emergency !
I could take up this offer, sign up for e Progress which is free for the first year and then cancel the
e Progress contract. Then £475 charger would still be
mine.
I am with Octopus Go at the moment which
Is cheap electricity in the night but will obviously will increase in price when my present contract expires
Octopus Agile may or may not come into its own as the price of electricity increases.
Time will tell.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Isow wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:17 am At the end of the day you can get a top quality
charger for £475.
That’s good value.
I’ve been using a granny charger for the last 13
months and that has worked well for me so far.
I have often wondered what I would do if I needed
a quicker charge in an emergency !
I could take up this offer, sign up for e Progress which is free for the first year and then cancel the
e Progress contract. Then £475 charger would still be
mine.
I am with Octopus Go at the moment which
Is cheap electricity in the night but will obviously will increase in price when my present contract expires
Octopus Agile may or may not come into its own as the price of electricity increases.
Time will tell.
You'd better hurry up there's only 60 up for grabs before the end of March next year. :lol:
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
londiniumperson

EEEE wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:28 pm At the moment, I don't see the point of these sophisticated tracking chargers.

Given that tarrifs exist down to 5p/unit, how much possible saving can there be on a variable rate? The increased cost of a charger will offset any savings for more than a couple of years. If you are doing a lot of miles - the chances are this is commuting, your mileage will be known and you will have to charge whether the tariff is cheap or not (eg, need to do 100miles tomorrow for work, better charge up 100miles worth), you wouldn't decide not to charge at a higher price because you want the saving because you can't get to work. "Sorry boss, not coming in today, electric was crazy expensive last night, woulda cost me an extra £1.32 to charge!"

If you don't do many miles, then any potential savings are never realised.

A lot of the advertising really annoys me on these products - it just doesn't make any sense from a financial perspective - yet the adverts really make a song and dance about the financial aspect, the headline of the advert in fact.

It could only make sense if:

1) your car had a massive battery so you can suck up all the cheap energy to ride you through any variable storms. The Honda e is not that car...
2) You had a stupidly expensive variable tariff in the first place.
3) you use up all those miles banked to realise the savings, whether you need to drive or not.
4) none of those miles are for commitment based commuting, because you will only get that price on average in the long term, not every night guaranteed.

Just my thoughts - I probably think too much...
I agree with you and the small print explains how they calculated the savings if you're interested.

This offer is only really for new Honda e buyers too lazy to spend time looking at the whole market offerings to be able to make an informed decision.

There are plenty of lackadaisical people in the world, I have a work colleague that just wants an a simple easy life. He has no interest in his financial decisions (or his job) if he wants something he'll just go to a shop and buy the first thing that fits the bill, he can't be bothered with spending 5 minutes checking online to see if the item is cheaper elsewhere or even if there's a better more appropriate alternative. Take for example a replacement car, he just asks his usual repair garage which doesn't normally sell used cars to look out for a car, he told me that he knows that it might cost him £500 more than at a used car dealer but finds it too much hassle going to one and having to decide himself.

Horses for courses.
turntoport

Post by turntoport »

Londinium: yes, the 'savings' are calculated on 2020 pricing, which would have included much of the exceptionally low-priced energy (even negative cost) over that time period. So much to beware of there. The point is that - for the first 60' - the realtively high initial purchase price of the S+ charger is discounted by £475, making it quite cost-effective. The Octopus 'Go' tariff range is included in the e:progress management, and doubtless Octopus Intelligent' will similarly be when Octopus create the Android software. SO few downsides. Honda will need to readjust their e:progress pricing structure as £1/wk fee will not be taken-up, as Isow mentions. So, downsides vs upsides? Apart from O-PEN management (still haven't heard from Honda re this, i.e. whether a separate box per Afren installs is required or whether the TBCS O-PEN kit is managed in the wall unit...), which is tba, i don't see any thus far?
londiniumperson

If someone can take advantage of that offer then it's not a bad deal compared to the alternatives currently available now, but there's no way it's value for money at full price.
Like you say Honda needs to adjust not only their e:progress subscription price (i.e remove it) but once that offer has ended they need to make the charge unit pricing comparible to the competition otherwise they'll struggle to sell them.
turntoport

Post by turntoport »

apologies for 'ffs' (fat-finger-syndrome) in previous post; 'realtively' = relatively; SO = So; TBCS = TN-C-S = spellchecker error; Strewth.

Londinium: agree on all points. Maybe H think e owners are just rich kids who don't care about vfm?

A possible (?) additional function of the Honda charger/e:progress system might eventually be to offer a gateway to v2g, which we might hope they've made some progress (sorry) with?

I'm not bedazzled by the charger thing, but at least H are taking some small steps to correct their odd pathways. Maybe they'll even listen to users and provide a split rear seat in future, alongside an improved electrical capacity battery-pack in a few years time. (ok, the latter is much more likely to come from private e-garages...)
atb - ttp

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post