Do you set your schedule in the charger or the car?

All Honda E related discussions
turntoport

Post by turntoport »

EEEE; concerning, i hope your issues with the domestic charger got sorted properly. The Hypervolt is (?) on my shortlist; decision imminent as car arrives (!) in two weeks time. This is not an excuse/justification, but most software issues arise because the development path used does not itself use rigorous SE (Systems Engineering) processes, particularly in the 'Verification and Validation' aspect: Good SE's tend to be swallowed-up by the defence industry. As we move to more machine-managed (automated) and more complex data-driven infrastructures, we can expect much more of this to come. [Unfortunately, SE is not a sexy career choice: I daresay if we were to ask a(ny) cabinet member if he/she knew what SE was, they wouldn't have a flying clue. Led by donkeys.]
atb -ttp

EEEE

Post by EEEE »

The issue was sorted promptly. I raised a support ticket in the morning, got a reply in a few hours. They said they had pushed new firmware to my device but suspect that would have been the case regardless (they must have had many users affected, and their own internal reporting/build/push server would have reported a drop in connected devices/heartbeats/success's etc).

Regarding testing and verification, a wholly unenviable task in this day and age and in this domain. Even though standards exist, integrating them in to a complex and fast moving product only leads to a blurring of the edges where the shiny whizzy thing meets the thing that is absolutely always supposed to work. I suspect there is no physical separation in this case, so any defined schedule goes out the window if the fancy part falls over in the night. The charging part is relatively simple, but given that the fancy part is an entire embedded server with with a full software stack, its only a matter of time before it falls over (or is broken by the owners). Remind me never to replace my central heating timer with anything smart lest I wake up with no hot water and an empty car battery.

This is why I attribute some comfort in relying on the automotive component more. Whilst OTA updates are possible, I suspect that they are far more isolated for the critical functions. The incident has annoyed me because it was no doubt avoidable, but without any extra details I cant tell if it was bad luck or incompetence. I will resort to plugging my car in daily now so I have more chance to spot any failed schedules. It could have failed previously and I not be aware for example.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
turntoport

Post by turntoport »

EEEE: yep.
lol! - or cry?

atb - ttp
ShambaSteve

Post by ShambaSteve »

I’ve tried both and slightly favour controlling it via the charger simply because it’s slightly easier / fewer clicks to enable charging during the day should I need to do so.
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Nothing stopping you doing it in both the car and the charger. If you do it on the charger it saves the odd free loader using it when your car isn't there, if charging is enabled all the time, unlikely, my charger if it loses Comms for whatever reason falls back into active mode.

I work shifts so I wish there was a flexible planner in both rather than the single week based option, then I could set and forget
Ex e owner
5thcivic

Post by 5thcivic »

I set a night charge on the charger and it did not happen because it needed to get past midnight to trigger the times to work the following day. Then I just set the time on the car and it worked fine, so have left it on the car, setting one with timed and setting two with nothing for any time quick charge.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post