TPMS Problem

All Honda E related discussions
mesa

Post by mesa »

I changed to winter tyres recently and tried to calibrate them. The attached warning turned up after 1-2 km and won't go away. If I try to cancel or calibrate the warning goes away only to return after a couple of km. The tyre pressures are the same.

Has this happened to anyone else?

tpms.jpg

Charge Yellow e Advance

Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

Who changed them must have damaged the sensor or did not fit it properly.
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

As far as i know, there are no sensors inside the wheels for pressure, so there is nothing to be damaged. It works off the ABS wheel sensors and counts the number of revolutions comparitively to spot a flat.

The calibration procedure takes a few miles to take, and i believe it can only complete when travelling on relatively straight roads. I also expect it would not work if you are driving on snow or any uneven or loose surface.

It may also be worth checking that your tyres fitted are of the correct size. The system will be accurate enough to notice that tyres of slightly different sizes compared to the manufacturers recommendations. If an 'inbetween' size for both front and rear have been fitted, i expect it will not like that either. (eg, rears are 225, fronts 205, if 215 are fitted to both i bet the system will notice that).

Im not sure the manual says the exact distance you need to travel, but you will get the (i) flash up on startup if it was unable to complete.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
mesa

Post by mesa »

The manual says that calibration takes 30 minutes at 40-100 kph.
Charge Yellow e Advance
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

But his warning says problem with the system, not that a tyre is flat.
mesa

Post by mesa »

The problem turned out to be that the tyres didn't match. One wide and one narrow, front and back. After swapping two of the tyres the problem went away.
Charge Yellow e Advance
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

mesa wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:37 pm The problem turned out to be that the tyres didn't match. One wide and one narrow, front and back. After swapping two of the tyres the problem went away.
I think this is worth every honda E driver knowing - since the wheels are only marginally wider on the back, and it is not expected on a small hatchback - fitting errors are likely to be high (Happened to me also).

Glad to hear you got it sorted.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi