MyHonda+ App - What's the Point?

All Honda E related discussions
SuperRocket61

Post by SuperRocket61 »

Hi all - many thanks for this excellent and informative forum.

I have owned my e for six months now and love it. However as most have observed the app is buggy and poor. Furthermore I have never found that I needed it for anything. It now wants me to renew my ownership.

Like all my recent cars we have two competent key fobs. We never go out without them. Can anyone convince me why I should not delete the app and get on with my life with one less distraction? Has anyone found a 'must-have' use for the app?

RAL7004

Post by RAL7004 »

No – there are hardly any reasons for keeping this precious piece of software engineering.

For me there are only two functions that I find helpful:
- locating the vehicle (especially if several people share the car and you don't have a fixed parking space in the city).
- checking the state of charge – again, relevant for people who live in the city and charge at public charging stations that are not located directly in front of their flat/house.
SamHonda

Post by SamHonda »

SuperRocket61 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:27 pm Hi all - many thanks for this excellent and informative forum.

I have owned my e for six months now and love it. However as most have observed the app is buggy and poor. Furthermore I have never found that I needed it for anything. It now wants me to renew my ownership.

Like all my recent cars we have two competent key fobs. We never go out without them. Can anyone convince me why I should not delete the app and get on with my life with one less distraction? Has anyone found a 'must-have' use for the app?

I thought it was free for a number of years?
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

The safety & journey package is only free for 1 year if you manage to get to use it before you even buy a car.
How come you ask, well I bought my Honda e, new on 17 Aug 2020, the app eventually started working 3 months later once I had forced the dealer to sort it, then it expired before the beginning of August this year, so not even a full 12 months if it had worked from day 1, I got less than 9 months use.

The current annual cost is £29 and a total waste of money, so I'll never pay for this subscription.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

The app is pretty pointless - and terribly buggy/unsatisfactory.

There are 4 subscriptions within the app, all with different prices and longevities.

Digital Key Service - £59.00 - 1 year (This allows you to 'pass' keys to others with a phone, effectively giving you the ability to make phones a key to the car)
Honda Personal Assistant Service - £49.00 - 1 year (This is the talking thing in the car , i just use android auto / google)
Safety and Journey Service - £29.00 - 1 year (i think this lets you set journeys/waypoints on your phone and upload them to the car garmin satnav which is crap anyway)
Core Connectivity Service - £39.00 - 8 years

I only have the core connectivity - this allows you to check charge status, enable pre heating and unlock/lock doors and check roughly where it is (not a great deal basically). It will also tell you (usually incorrectly) which doors or windows are open, what the mileage of the car and thats about it.

I only really use it to enable the cabin preheating when im at work as im too far away to use the fob. At home i'll tend to use the fob button.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

EEEE wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:36 pm I only really use it to enable the cabin preheating when im at work as im too far away to use the fob. At home i'll tend to use the fob button.
This for me as well. I tend to actively avoid looking at the other info as it'll probably tell me it's up a tree in Vladivostok happily swinging its doors open and closed.
Jan44

Post by Jan44 »

I certainly agree with the view of it being a poorly designed app. For a long time it kept insisting that my wife's Jazz which is on both our MyHonda apps needed a new subscription when the only subscription it had was the core connectivity one. I had lots of email conversations with Leonie Hassfeld who seems to be the gateway to the app developers. She insisted on an enormous amount of documentary evidence via screen shots etc and eventually said the developer had fixed the problem. He does seem to have done so. For the Jazz, the app allows you to cause the horn to sound like it was being burgled! Not sure of the point of that one! I don't find it of any serious use on the core connectivity and the other subscriptions are a complete waste. Just use iPhone and Siri/Google/FindMy Friends etc or similar on Android of course.
ChesterUK

Post by ChesterUK »

Even worse is when the app is constantly misreporting that the car is unlocked and the windows are open, when it's locked and shut. I'm more concerned for when the reverse happens. At least 90% of the time the app is slow to use and unable to provide updates. Why Honda believe this is acceptable is beyond me.
deckchair

Post by deckchair »

I generally find the preheating useful and the charging status is probably now redundant as I can get that through my Easee home charger. It is always slow to update and is out of date.

That being said it's so much better than the Skoda EV app. That one doesn't even allow two users of the vehicle to use the app (Only one person can have it installed). I raised as an enhancement request with their Customer Services and was told that they couldn't do anything with it LOL
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

No. 1 - don't pay for ANY subscriptions!
Connectivity should be Free for Year 1, so you may be tempted to use the App.
If you use it Frequently, you will soon learn its flaws. Its slow etc. Lots about on Forum
If you use it only Occasionally, it will Log you out. Login is slow, too many steps.
If you Delete it, or ignore it, and just enjoy your car, you will smile every day.

You could use the App to Lock your car remotely, if you're in an area with good 4G. But it won't close any windows, so may not be secure.
You could use it to warm or cool your car: but the Cars Climate Schedule is the better option.
You could try and check State of Charge while charging, but I find that I can walk back to my car quicker than Honda can get reliable data to me. So often the info is not in real time, and hence confusing, agree 100% with ChesterUK above.
So on balance, forget it.
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons