Getting flashed by oncoming traffic

All Honda E related discussions
kjwalpole

Post by kjwalpole »

For drives in the dark I turn off the auto high-beam headlights as its implementation is pretty poor.

Despite this, I find myself frequently getting flashed by oncoming drivers; presumably because they think they are on high beam.

Anyone experience this?

FDAD

Post by FDAD »

kjwalpole wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:36 pm For drives in the dark I turn off the auto high-beam headlights as its implementation is pretty poor.

Despite this, I find myself frequently getting flashed by oncoming drivers; presumably because they think they are on high beam.

Anyone experience this?
Well for me auto high beam works great!

I have been flashed but it's usually by older drivers/cars. They probably don't have anti glare in their windscreen. Mine are well calibrated, I checked, so nothing to worry about...
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

I notice that the car can squat quite a lot under heavy acceleration, this will point the beams straight into the eyes of oncoming traffic - even worse if they are adjusted 'properly' as they have no self levelling feature.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

I agree with FDAD, my headlights are OK whether on main or dipped but still occasionally get flashed. I think that it is due to a number of reasons:
A few years ago I noticed that a lot of new cars with LED headlights had excessively bright dipped beam when they approached me, now I realise that it was more the fact that my lights were significantly worse being an older technology even though they were Xenon (also known as High Intensity Discharge or HID lights). So it is more that the other driver perceives that you have main beam on due to their own vehicle having relatively low output lights.
Also the road can be a factor if you're heading to a brow of a crest in the distance and another car comes over that crest then due to the angle of your lights to them, you can appear to dazzle on coming cars.
Then there is the fact that as we get older our night vision degrades and I've definitely noticed that I'm effected more by oncoming lights whether dipped or on main than I used to be.
Many years ago it was well known not to stare directly at the lights of an oncoming vehicle so that our eyes can adjust quicker once they pass, I'm wondering if the FaceBook, Millennial & entitled Karen generation lack any sense and just stare at the lights coming towards them.

The only issue I have with auto high beam activated is that in poorly lit residential roads they can switch on when it is not required and that they can't predict the future (who or what can), so at times can end up switching on just before a car appears and then they are then quickly switched off again which if this happens several times in succession is a little annoying but this is just as likely to occur if I manually switched between main & dipped beam myself anyway.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

londiniumperson wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:49 pm I agree with FDAD, my headlights are OK whether on main or dipped but still occasionally get flashed. I think that it is due to a number of reasons:
A few years ago I noticed that a lot of new cars with LED headlights had excessively bright dipped beam when they approached me, now I realise that it was more the fact that my lights were significantly worse being an older technology even though they were Xenon (also known as High Intensity Discharge or HID lights). So it is more that the other driver perceives that you have main beam on due to their own vehicle having relatively low output lights.
Also the road can be a factor if you're heading to a brow of a crest in the distance and another car comes over that crest then due to the angle of your lights to them, you can appear to dazzle on coming cars.
Then there is the fact that as we get older our night vision degrades and I've definitely noticed that I'm effected more by oncoming lights whether dipped or on main than I used to be.
Great points. I'd add that as headlights get better and brighter, they also seem to have a sharper cut-off between the light and dark areas. It can get a bit dangerous, as a couple of times I've been waiting to pull out of a junction, and thought that someone was flashing their lights to let me in, only to suddenly realise that they had just gone over a bump, briefly bringing my eyes within the beam.
Smucker

Post by Smucker »

I’m always getting flashed. Honda garage checked alignment during service and assured me it was correct so I’d put it down to as mentioned above…bright LED with sharp focus vs the soft edge you get with the old halogen lamps

I’m actually getting fed up of getting flashed!!!
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

Smucker wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:30 pm I’m always getting flashed. Honda garage checked alignment during service and assured me it was correct so I’d put it down to as mentioned above…bright LED with sharp focus vs the soft edge you get with the old halogen lamps

I’m actually getting fed up of getting flashed!!!
Flash them back.
Highanddry

Post by Highanddry »

I would flash a Honda E when i would see one :) :) :)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post