Pre-heating

All Honda E related discussions
pburgess

Post by pburgess »

I can get pre-heating of the car interior working fine via the key fob and via the app.

However, I (think) that the car used to warm up the interior largely by using power from the wall charger, ie, if the car was 100% charged by the time I asked for heating, it stayed at 100% by taking all the heating power via the wall socket.

Now that has stopped, and the battery in the car warms the interior, but doesn't ask for power from the wall socket either directly or indirectly. So I drive off with just 95% battery charge. Which is annoying!

Has anyone else found this, and got a solution?

Thanks

Peter

EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Haven't seen this myself.

The heating always takes place from the battery as far as I understand - but it can do this whilst charging.

Can you confirm if you are using mains 3pin charger, or a 7kw feed?

I believe the 7kw method has enough power to heat and keep it charged to 100%. I suspect in cold weather the 3pin charger (2.2kw) does not have sufficient power to heat and keep on top of the charging aspect.

Also worth checking that your charging schedule encompasses the time of the preheating (either on the car, or in the charger if 7kw smart charger).
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

EEEE wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:47 pm Haven't seen this myself.

The heating always takes place from the battery as far as I understand - but it can do this whilst charging.

Can you confirm if you are using mains 3pin charger, or a 7kw feed?

I believe the 7kw method has enough power to heat and keep it charged to 100%. I suspect in cold weather the 3pin charger (2.2kw) does not have sufficient power to heat and keep on top of the charging aspect.

Also worth checking that your charging schedule encompasses the time of the preheating (either on the car, or in the charger if 7kw smart charger).
Excellent reply, the onboard heater draws power from the battery (even if plugged in) and it can pull over 3kW, so if using the 3pin granny charger on a cold day it cannot supply enough power to keep the battery at 100%.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
pburgess

Post by pburgess »

Yes, I am running off a 7kw feed, which seems to have worked OK before.

I have two apps running on my phone, MyHonda+ and e:PROGRESS. Both are set to the same time but maybe they trip each other up.
londiniumperson

Have you always used e:PROGRESS or has this only occurred since the switch?
bogga

Post by bogga »

I have a Ohme charger, which was set to charge the car at the Octopus Go times cheap rate times, however later in the day, during a scheduled pre-heat period the car would start pulling power again. So there must be a way that the Honda 'ask's for power at an out of schedule period. I was glad of the behaviour as it meant that I left with the battery still at my set max charge level, be that 80% or 100%.

I am assuming that the Honda:EPROGRESS does not accept the request, whereas the Ohme charger does.
nyx

Post by nyx »

As far as I know there’s no way for a car to call for charge if scheduling is done on the charger and it is outside this schedule. That’s why I only use the schedule in the MyHonda app.
pburgess

Post by pburgess »

Thanks for the advice, I think it is time for me to uninstall e:PROGRESS and see what happens next.
ChesterUK

Post by ChesterUK »

Our charger is a Zappi 2, currently configured to charge during the day with solar surplus up to 90% (will augment with up to 10% from the grid to meet the minimum charge rate of 1.4kW) and boost (use up to 100% grid energy) between 00:30 and 04:30:

IMG_1234.jpg

It's still using grid energy to pre-condition. If your charger is not allowing this, I would speak to your installer/refer to the manufacturer.
londiniumperson

It’s possible that the e:PROGRESS is based on the Ohme software or is at least very similar:

The Ohme has an additional setting to limit the maximum p/kWh irrespective of the tariff or charge schedule see. This can be changed either within the set ‘Tariff’ or the charge schedule ‘Charging Restrictions’ options.

Also if you schedule the charge to finish just before your about to use the car there’s an additional ‘preconditioning’ option for each schedule. I don’t use this because my cheap rate ends at 00:30 & also no longer leave home the same time each morning.

Here’s a screenshot of this:

Ohme preconditioning.png