Possible updates

All Honda E related discussions
Watty37

Post by Watty37 »

Has anyone heard that the Honda e will be getting any software improvements to increase range etc? I keep reading that VW and Peugeot/Vauxhall are able to increase their useable battery OTA to increase range and taking various measures to speed up warm up times etc? Be great if Honda were able to do something similar.

turntoport

Post by turntoport »

Watty37: imo it's possible, but unlikely and may be some time away: Changes to the battery management software would need to be underpinned by a decently large amount of data that indicates the usage-vs-battery-ageing would permit it, given the battery life guarantee requirements. I.e. there won't be any changes if the cost x risk of battery guarantee claims exceeds the sales profit improvement of offering a longer range. The 'std' may have very slightly more chance than the 'advance' of a small change due to the lower max-power motor causing less degradation to the pack, but this again really depends on driver style more than anything else, so data collection is a prerequisite.

atb - ttp
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

I can’t see it happening.
Consider it from the point of view of the Honda bean counters, with the costs to investigate, develop, test & implement a range or efficiency improvement. When it looks like there won’t be more than a couple of 1000’s e’s ever built, there would be no financial gain for them.
Please tell me how that can make financial sense?
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
turntoport

Post by turntoport »

Agreed, Londiniumperson. It's pretty unlikely, for the reasons you mention - it's hard to see the risk/reward intercept making it worthwhile, especially, as you point-out, it's likely that e's will never number more than a few thousand. The e may well be a future 'collectors car'...

atb - ttp
Gastarg

Post by Gastarg »

I understand we live in a capitalist world, and, there is no DIRECT benefit probably for honda, but, when any company send a software update, is part of the support, and if it's improvements over battery usage, would be only to improve the brand reputation, I think honda MAY due it, but, again, this car has very low sales, I HOPE they take it seriously and update it regurarly, but not seeing a lot of possibilities over battery usage, first, it MAY reduce the security, second, they may not have enough samples
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Gut feeling - there wont be any updates.

This is not Hondas mainstay, it is not their top priority. It's a test, an idea, a concept - and not much more. There is no benefit to them shipping updates of any sort, too much risk. Also, when the vehicle was already known to be short range for europe - why leave anything on the table? Best to keep that reserve in the bank for a few years down the line when all the E owners report 0 battery degradation. IF you take that buffer now, you'll only be dissapointed in a few years time.

Ship it and forget it. You can tell the components of the car are all from various manufacturers which is why the integration between all the parts of the car and the user interface are so poor. Whilst the concept was futuristic, the reality certainly isn't. Just look how crap the app is.

I hate to dig on the e 'experience' but it is fairly underwhelming from a technological viewpoint.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi