Charging only at 3.6kw

All Honda E related discussions
D010181

Post by D010181 »

Hi Guys

I'm new with the E and checking the forum already saw mine have some issues, like drivers handle not retracting (in), pressure warning on all the time, and what I think is an issue with charging.

I can't find anything online is why it charges so slow, right know is charging in home fast charger only 3.6kw. that tooks 50% to 100% 6 hours so around 12hr full charge. what i have at home is a WALLBOX pulsar plus 32a but limited to 16a (usual here in denmark) I think is the 11kw.

Any idea whats going on?

Thanks in advance!

zemdega

Post by zemdega »

It's totally fine. As you are limited to 16A and Honda E can use only one phase.

Screenshot 2022-01-25 at 18.44.49.jpg

D010181

Post by D010181 »

Anything that I can improve on the wallbox? or a way to go to 1 phase and 7kw?

Thanks!
Keawon

Post by Keawon »

Is all about how many amp you can supply the wallbox, often wallbox is connected to home grid and then you are limited to what inbound amp to home is.
Even if you connect wallbox to 3-phase 16A or 3-phase 32A, the car converts to 1-phase.
The supplied cable from Honda is 1-phase 32A and thats is 7.4kw. So check with your electrician how much you can supply wallbox with. 20A? 25A?
zemdega

Post by zemdega »

Depends on cable that comes to your house. For example I have old house with aluminium cable to it. I could ask my electricity supplier to increase my connection from 20A to 32A but they can refuse if cable is not thick enough. If your infrastructure was build as future proof you may have possibility to get more Amps and get charge till 7.4. If it's only made for 16A there's nothing you can do besides changing new cable (but I'm guessing it will cost a fortune in your country).
zemdega

Post by zemdega »

BTW Honda e is limited to 6,6kW AC charging so going past 7,4kW on one phase is not useful.
D010181

Post by D010181 »

I see, my previous electric was a Mini and that thing was fast, around 3h empty to full, mini has a 11kw charger and was taking all the profit from my wallbox... I was quite shocked when I saw the speed of the E, 3 times more... I will contact with my electrician to see what we can do to improve it a bit, I was expecting longer charging times but not that long. I feel the E way better in many aspects than the Mini and because both are from 2020 I was expecting similar charging times hehe my bad.

Thanks all for the clarifications!
SamHonda

Post by SamHonda »

D010181 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:45 am I see, my previous electric was a Mini and that thing was fast, around 3h empty to full, mini has a 11kw charger and was taking all the profit from my wallbox... I was quite shocked when I saw the speed of the E, 3 times more... I will contact with my electrician to see what we can do to improve it a bit, I was expecting longer charging times but not that long. I feel the E way better in many aspects than the Mini and because both are from 2020 I was expecting similar charging times hehe my bad.

Thanks all for the clarifications!
Sorry for topic change - Interesting you switched from a Mini E. How do the interior qualities (fit/finish) compare?
D010181

Post by D010181 »

While driving the Mini always had the feeling that I was driving an old car, the infotaintment is simple, how it gives you informations is like a ICE car, so range anxiety was insane seeing the needle going down that fast just killed my mood everyday. The driving is more sporty but no necessary in a good way, my other car is a Type R and the MINI felt huge but being small, I had the feeling that my visibility wasn't good enough, never managed to see the trafic lights on my right xD... what they say that mini is not for everyone its true. For someone on the 20ies is a fantastic car probably the best electric under 30000€ (at least here in dk) but if you need to bring friends, kids, dogs... sorry that car is a pain in the...

Interior quiality it feels cheap for a (bmw) and old even with carbon seats and black interior, not saying the E is fantastic, but I think it does the job, but mini have a looooot of plastics, leather fake textures and chrome with a design from 2010s. A part of charging speed the E makes me smile every morning, with the mini I always found something that irritates me xDD.

To end up, if you are more than 2 minutes inside the mini gets foggy, so you been forced to use the air system all the time ... yeah forget about good range (winter time).
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

There probably isnt much you can do to increase your charge speed.

I suspect the mini was using 3 phase charging, but the honda does not have a 3 phase charger built in, just a single phase. So your already at a third of your previous rate.

If your property supply or internal wiring is not capable of a 32Amp feed, the installer will not have set the maximum charging rate on the wallbox to 32A.

Either the charger and/or house supply needs rewiring to support 32Amp, then the charger can be set (usually internal DIP switch) to allow 32A.

It does seem strange that honda would not have accounted for peoples supply in europe. It seems many europeans have 3phase but low amperage. The UK is the reverse, the majority are single phase with 60/80/100amp feeds. Charging with the 32Amp feed takes about 4 to 5 hours from pretty empty to pretty full.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post