AC Charger Outside (with rain)

All Honda E related discussions
mogui

Post by mogui »

Hi, I'm planning to have a IP55 Plug outside and leave my AC Charger just standing out in the rain.
like this:

and I will be using the LeGrand plug, to seal everything on the plug side:

LeGrand GreenUp Plug: IP55
Honda E AC Charger: IP67

this all looks fine to just stay outside...but what do you think? should I get a box or cover for it?

turntoport

Post by turntoport »

ip55 should be fine unless you're going to pressure-wash near it - provided you ensure sure the cover seals are serviceable and the lid closed properly. If you're going to leave the charge controller 'dangling' yo'll need to periodically check the plug-socket physical integrity, especially after a windy winter session - the socket-makers wouldn't approve of a kilo or so hanging off their hardware for that long. The (Honda) UK plug is moulded-onto the cable and 'inline' vertically; if you have one like the lady in the illustration all bets are off: - ensure the wire entry to the socket - and adjacent tight radius section - doesn't become age-hardened and crack, but in that case it's likely that either the wire, plug or socket will fail after a while unless you provide some form of mechanical support for the weight of the charge controller box.

p.s. i see the LeGrand green'up socket webpage claims IP66, in which case external waterproofing shouldn't be a problem.

atb - ttp
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

In addition to TTP’s comments, at a cursory glance I’d suggest that the IP rating is only valid with the cover fully closed, which won’t be the case whilst the charger is plugged in.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

I think this is an excellent idea - My 7kW point at the end of my garden came with my last car so I didn't have to make a choice, but I assume it saves quite a lot of money over a type-2 point and will probably still be enough for a full charge overnight on the e. It will also me more versatile, allowing for other outdoor appliances like lawnmowers, power tools, and you could even charge a scooter or Renault Twizy!

As for the safety aspect, that is definitely not my area, and the previous posters have already given really good replies. I myself would always get someone qualified to do the electrics, and make sure that there is a good RCD protecting both yourself and the car. I wasn't above digging the trench for the cable run though. I also don't think you will regret spending a bit more if that gets you a higher IP rating or a more reliable brand if that means clearer documentation or a better warranty or support.

What I did do was build a little makeshift roof for my charger with a couple of brackets and some board to keep the worst of the rain off it. I don't know if it helps, but it makes me feel better. I'm not so sure that an enclosed box would be a good idea, as unless designed and fitted perfectly, they can trap moisture and make things less safe. With the extra complication of the box on the charger cable, I agree that having it just hanging would place unnecessary strain on the plug. Maybe a few brackets or some sort of mesh shelf to take the strain without allowing water to collect would do the job?
mogui

Post by mogui »

thanks for all the inputs so far, they are all very insightful.
first I want to let you know that I'm not in the UK but in Portugal where the winter isn't as wet nor as stormy.

after a first rought setup I noticed the plug from the Honda Charger is too thick and the cover does not close (sad.) - I'll have to think around it ahah. Ideas? I wont be pressure whashing near it

IMG_9147.jpeg

IMG_9146.jpeg

IMG_9149.jpeg

turntoport wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:54 pm ip55 should be fine unless you're going to pressure-wash near it - provided you ensure sure the cover seals are serviceable and the lid closed properly. If you're going to leave the charge controller 'dangling' yo'll need to periodically check the plug-socket physical integrity, especially after a windy winter session - the socket-makers wouldn't approve of a kilo or so hanging off their hardware for that long. The (Honda) UK plug is moulded-onto the cable and 'inline' vertically; if you have one like the lady in the illustration all bets are off: - ensure the wire entry to the socket - and adjacent tight radius section - doesn't become age-hardened and crack, but in that case it's likely that either the wire, plug or socket will fail after a while unless you provide some form of mechanical support for the weight of the charge controller box.

p.s. i see the LeGrand green'up socket webpage claims IP66, in which case external waterproofing shouldn't be a problem.

atb - ttp
I do think I will find some sort of support to attach to the charger brick, so it's not being held by the cable.

IMG_9148.jpeg

mogui

Post by mogui »

ZoeDave wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:37 pm I think this is an excellent idea - My 7kW point at the end of my garden came with my last car so I didn't have to make a choice, but I assume it saves quite a lot of money over a type-2 point and will probably still be enough for a full charge overnight on the e. It will also me more versatile, allowing for other outdoor appliances like lawnmowers, power tools, and you could even charge a scooter or Renault Twizy!

As for the safety aspect, that is definitely not my area, and the previous posters have already given really good replies. I myself would always get someone qualified to do the electrics, and make sure that there is a good RCD protecting both yourself and the car. I wasn't above digging the trench for the cable run though. I also don't think you will regret spending a bit more if that gets you a higher IP rating or a more reliable brand if that means clearer documentation or a better warranty or support.

What I did do was build a little makeshift roof for my charger with a couple of brackets and some board to keep the worst of the rain off it. I don't know if it helps, but it makes me feel better. I'm not so sure that an enclosed box would be a good idea, as unless designed and fitted perfectly, they can trap moisture and make things less safe. With the extra complication of the box on the charger cable, I agree that having it just hanging would place unnecessary strain on the plug. Maybe a few brackets or some sort of mesh shelf to take the strain without allowing water to collect would do the job?
regarding security, the LeGrand Pack that I bought already came with this

Screenshot 2022-02-10 123356.jpg

turntoport

Post by turntoport »

yep, that looks good. Think i'll get one as a backup - thanks mogui.
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

How can you have a 25 kWh heavy duty socket? that is storage capacity not power rating!
Ex e owner
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

milligoon wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:57 pm How can you have a 25 kWh heavy duty socket? that is storage capacity not power rating!
I suspect this is simply an aide memoir regarding how long you should charge for - normal domestic sockets are not designed for continuous high load applications, over time the heat builds up and connectors/switches/wires degrade and get a bit melty until it stops working. Very few household items pull the same wattage - only old electric heaters, and I'm sure we have all seen melted plugs/sockets on those when used heavily...

So even though the socket is rated for certain amps - sustained load (several hours) at this amperage will lead to a building temperature inside the plug unit which will cause damage eventually.

Same reason my 20year+ socket in the garage failed. It was fine to run the tumble dryer for an hour or 2 at the time, but then one day I did several loads and pop! whole house tripped off, the switch was melted internally so it couldn't be moved (was quite hard to track that down), and the internal parts of the socket had melted/shifted causing a short. Didn't like being run for several hours, but had done an hour or 2 many time previously. By a strange coincidence when i was purchasing some spare parts for the prelude, i bumped into the IT manager who told me the socket most likely had a lifetime warranty - if only i had known lol.

I made sure when I wired my new outside double socket, I used a ring main setup so as to provide extra heat sinking ability away from the socket, and also reduce resistive losses to keep the heat down (should I ever use it to charge the e instead of the hypervolt).
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post