Is Honda e in Japan better?

All Honda E related discussions
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

MattHero wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:33 pm
FMIB wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:49 pm
Another impressive result.
Clearly the 16 inch rims with energy efficient tyres have a definite benefit vs the 17 inch PS4 tyres.
Same question, is that with the climate control on at all times?
No, I only use it in the summer to cool the car down periodically as required and only during the winter to demist (use seat heaters and wheel warmer to stay warm).
Thank you. That's most probably the difference/reason. I will need to test it out to confirm.
It could potentially allow me a greater range when needed, but my preference will remain to use climate all year, habit I guess after living in the tropics half my life

turntoport

Post by turntoport »

FMIB; for perspective, though, your old beemer was returning around 0.8 miles per kWh (on a good run), probably half that on a cold-start short trip...
atb - ttp
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

turntoport wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:19 pm FMIB; for perspective, though, your old beemer was returning around 0.8 miles per kWh (on a good run), probably half that on a cold-start short trip...
atb - ttp
Absolutely, hence the Honda e for my town trips.
My previous city car was a BMW 118i and during winter city trips, consumption would drop to high 20's, while the X3 M40i would only just get into the 20's whilst neither would get warm enough for the heater to really start to work.

The Honda e makes so much sense for short town trips for me, no road tax, instant heating, easy to park and significantly reduced car park charges.
turntoport

Post by turntoport »

FMIB; yes, lots of advantages - especially if it can be preheated economically - shame we all tend to 'get-up' at the same time and toaster-overload the grid. I've often pondered the actual thermal efficiency of icey ice's, when doing my old commuter bike-trip to the offices at 7:30 a.m; the end bit - going through town - there's always the strong smell of unburnt petrol shovelling out ice exhausts. A few dozen lungfulls of Benzene can't do too much harm, eh! I suppose on the upside, there's been less airborne lead for a few years now.
The Japanese red e looked nice, and the original thread lead regarding range is interesting: we're getting 4.4 miles/kWh on 16" wheels & original boots since the January pickup, but rarely get to go anywhere even vaguely fast 'cause the nearest motorway is 45 miles away. [Locally, driving even moderately quick has a high deer-through-windscreen risk (ok, rather reduced with our charge-yellow colour 'scheme' but we nearly collected one yesterday); i don't think the airbags are designed to accommodate that scenario.]
So back to the range in Japan....??
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

Clearly they have high octane electricity in Japan. No other answer!

On a test note, I just did a typical in and out of town trip. I switched off the a/c yet the additional range shown on the power meter never changed. It was in the range of 12-14 additional miles. Only if I switched off the fan did the additional range icon switch off and add it to the estimated range.
I drove back with the a/c and fan off and the pictures reflect the reading when I drove onto the drive on arrival and after switching the a/c back on. Efficiency was no different to usual.
Maybe a much longer drive is needed, but from what I saw today, I might as well leave the climate on and be comfortable for short trips.
For completeness, the each way journey was 3 miles, average speed was 19.1mph, max speed 49.5mph

0B4BD548-ACF5-4688-82A6-8DF1DAD8EE7B.jpeg

BD0EF8C4-B913-40ED-808C-7ADD19A70F62.jpeg

EEEE

Post by EEEE »

It's possible there is a difference in the japan models - they got them later, and the front charging socket is different, so possibly some difference in the innards (although I struggle to see how it could be that much more efficient?)

As an experiment today, I turned the climate off completely, my 12mile journey ended on 3.9m/kw , where as my last 2k mile average is 2.9m/kwh - quite a jump. I normally have fan on low , aircon on, and temp set to about 20 (sometimes a little higher).
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
keithr

Post by keithr »

FMIB wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:49 pm Clearly the 16 inch rims with energy efficient tyres have a definite benefit vs the 17 inch PS4 tyres.
Same question, is that with the climate control on at all times?
No, I rarely use the climate control. I mainly use it just when required to demist the windscreen, or on the hotter summer days. In the summer, even with the air-conditioning on (set to about 21 degrees C and slow fan speed - there's no need to have it on flat out all the time!) I can often average over 5 miles/kWh. I usually use one pedal driving all of the time (perhaps turning it off on long higher speed roads).

If I choose to use the heater in the winter I will normally set it to 19 degrees C - again there's no need to turn the car into a sauna! My home is normally heated to 19 or 20C, so I don't need to be hotter than that when I'm sat in the car with a warm winter coat on.

When I had the car serviced the dealer lent me a Honda e with the 17" wheels as a courtesy car. I noticed two expected things - the ride was noticably a bit firmer (I prefer the more comfortable ride of the 16" wheels) and the economy was definitely worse. The difference in economy was bigger than I was expecting. I'm very happy that I decided to have the 16" wheels. :)
Last edited by keithr on Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

Japan uses different charging connectors to Europe, J1772 for AC and CHAdeMO for DC charging, hence the different look under the flap, so I don't think this has any effect on range.

I am beginning to think that the tyre is having a bigger influence on range than I first imagined. The Michelin PS4 supplied have a fuel efficiency of C and one day when its time to change, I will look at something with an A rating.
turntoport

Post by turntoport »

FMIB: yes, will be re-reading the 'tyres' thread with great interest when the current boots are worn-out, which, at the rate my wife is driving her new-found love, might be a bit sooner than i'd been anticipating. Having rebuilt a good few ice's over the decades, I'd developed a subconscious loathing of the 'cold-start' and its effect on bore wear, etc. The thought of all that neat petrol wiping the oil off ones ring on a frosty morning, Arrrghhh.
Now i have kittens hoping the gaffer doesn't 'boot it' when setting-off with a cold battery (!) Bu99er, wasn't expecting that.

It would be really interesting to see the power-management 'model' (probably Matlab Simulink (?)); if manufacturers weren't so unnecessarily secretive they could use driver feedback to improve it.
1600 miles - still haven't seen another e outside a showroom.
And the glitchy window thing has cured itself.
atb - ttp
TKS

Post by TKS »

zemdega wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:14 pm

Judging by this video Honda e in Japan range is close to 280 km per charge. I have a feeling that they don't have bigger battery. I think it's "unlocked" to use all 35kWh not 28,5 kWh as we have in Europe. Not sure why though. I'm sure Honda would get more sales with 280 km (about 170 miles) range.

That red colour is cool too!
Honda e in Japan is not special.
However, I was wondering about this mileage, so I asked her, but I couldn't get a clear answer.
Modern Steel Metallic 8-)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post