Is Honda e in Japan better?

All Honda E related discussions
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

Translating the ad that's linked from the video solves the mystery :

The cruising range is about 200 km. Please be careful not to turn on the power.
(If you turn on the air conditioner, the cruising range will be shortened.)

Clearly I must be more careful not to turn on the power!

iHansz

Post by iHansz »

In general, they drive much slower in Japan than in Europe. I do not mean the maximum speed, but the driving behaviour. Japanese drive just like Americans, very conservative and the more carefully you drive, the longer the ride. :mrgreen:
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only
turntoport

Post by turntoport »

car and app showing 105 miles range @ 65% @ t~11 degC. Odd...
- ttp
turntoport

Post by turntoport »

ok, i know temperatures are on the up, but Saturday last the rangeometer took a jump upwards, and has been relatively so since; this jump did not correlate with oat's (outside air temperature). The app precisely matches the car predictions, (yesterday 127 miles @ 81%, today, 96 miles @ 59%, pro-rata in region of 160 miles full-empty). I'd believed ota updating was not enabled for the e's driving/management functions, but clearly something has 'happened': either the 'available battery' has become larger or some form of crude date/season available energy 'switching' is happening. I'd estimate the step up to be in the region of 15% to 20%. Anyone else seen this??
atb - ttp
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

I just checked after a short drive today. The app shows 44% charge with 47 mile range with climate on, 52 miles with climate off. For the trip I averaged 4 miles/kWh. So if my maths are correct, taking a rough average of 50 miles remaining, that's a range of 113.6 miles, which correlates to 114 miles from a useable battery of 28.5kw x 4( assumed useable battery x last journey efficiency)
So in my case, I have not seen any change.
It would certainly be very useful if Honda unlocked the battery management to allow around 33kw of useable battery.
turntoport

Post by turntoport »

Thanks FMIB. It's a bit weird, the range thing. We're on 4.4 m/kWh over 2000 miles since mid-Jan; but this change was a definite 'overnighter'. The selling dealer (D.M. Keith, Grimsby) today said they're not aware of any management software changes, so, at least temporarily, i'm ascribing it to magic.
atb - ttp
tomasblas

Post by tomasblas »

I've just checked the Honda e specs in the Honda Japan website:

https://www.honda.co.jp/honda-e/common/ ... c_list.pdf

I don't know if this is new information but (using Google Translate) it mentions a capacity battery of 50 kWh.

動力用主電池種類 / 個数 / 電圧(V) / 容量(Ah)

Assuming this is gross capacity, it's 40% more than in the European market, and now it's consistent with the range published.
Last edited by tomasblas on Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
pauketju

Post by pauketju »

tomasblas wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:24 am I've just checked the Honda e specs in the Honda Japan website:

https://www.honda.co.jp/honda-e/common/ ... c_list.pdf

I don't know if this is new information but (using Google Translate) it mentions a capacity battery of 50 MWh.

動力用主電池種類 / 個数 / 電圧(V) / 容量(Ah)

Assuming this is gross capacity, it's 40% more than in the European market, and now it's consistent with the range published.
Nominal voltage is 355.2V. at 50Ah that is 17.760kWh - Nominal voltage is 50% battery. So 35.520kWh in total.
Should be same capacity as everywhere else according to this doc.
Advance Platinum pearl white 17"
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

What's missing from the copy and paste job above is the following line:

リチウムイオン電池 / 192 / 3.7 / 50.0

This means 192 cells * 3.7v (nominal) * 50ah each.

This gives you 35.52 kwh same as we expect. However it does offer a bit more information. 355.2 nominal volts is only achieved by 2 parallel lots of 96cells in series, giving 100ah at 355.2 (which is 35.53kwh).

The nominal rating of the cells is halfway between full and empty, but not halfway between 0v and 7v as assumed above. Li-ion cells are max 4.2 volts, and considered empty at 3.2v (safely). So min voltage is ~320v with max around ~420v. You'll note these numbers when using certain rapid chargers which give voltage readouts.

I had not seen it listed anywhere previously what the cell configuration was, so it's good to know its 2p96s with 50ah cells.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
tomasblas

Post by tomasblas »

You're fully right, sorry for the misunderstanding. It seems I read it too quickly and I had the hope of a future larger capacity battery set! :)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post