16 or 17 inch rims

All Honda E related discussions
Abbe

Post by Abbe »

Hello all,

I am new here and very curious about the real life difference between the 15 and 16 inch rims of the Honda E. My E is equipped with 17 inch wheels, would it make sense to change them for 16 inch rims and, if so, what kind of tires are recommend to get most km out of a charge?

And, if I change over to 16 inch rims, will the car still drive as smooth and easy as it does on the 17 inch rims? What are the cons of the 16 inch rims beside the fact that the 17 inch rims look better?

nyx

Post by nyx »

There's a good post about it at viewtopic.php?p=6939#p6939.

I've tried to summarise what I've found on https://hond.ae/prospective-owner/#wheels.
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

If you already have 17 inch wheels, it makes little financial sense to change to 16 inch.
The std 16 inch wheels are narrower so in general they have less rolling resistance than the 17 inch and will maximise the range(subject to the spec of the tyres)
If you want to maximise the range on 17 inch, look for tyres with A rated rolling resistance.
Michelin e-Primacy is an example
Abbe

Post by Abbe »

Thank you very much for your response. As the car, and the tyres are new I save this idea for the next set of tyres and will change them for a set of Michelin e-Primancy.
MaXPainT

Post by MaXPainT »

With 16 inch rims you get more rubber on your tyres. This makes the ride softer (the difference is noticable). You also get more range.

With 17 inch rims you get less rubber and better handling in corners, but you will feel more bumps. It is also believed that bigger rims look better (this is why the concept E had 20 or 21 inch rims and rims get bigger with time in general).

There is no sense to change rims if you have a set of good tyres for them. But it might be a viable option to get 16 inch rims for your winter / summer tyres (if you live in a climate where two sets are required). In general, I would recommend to pick the 16 inch rims as a default.
Abbe

Post by Abbe »

Any idea if the original 16 inch rims can be ordered aftermarket? In the accessoir flyer only some luxury 17 inch rims are presented.
MattHero

Post by MattHero »

Abbe wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:24 am Any idea if the original 16 inch rims can be ordered aftermarket? In the accessoir flyer only some luxury 17 inch rims are presented.
There must at least be a part number under which they can be ordered by Honda dealers and/or authorised repair agents?

EDIT: indeed, in this very thread -> viewtopic.php?f=8&t=995
Advance Charge Yellow on 16s.
JamboGT

Post by JamboGT »

I have to say, I personally went with the 16" wheels with the Advance, I woul dlove to say I was thinking of economy, or road comfort, but to be honest I just thought they looked far better! And seeing my car side by side with the demo car that had 17's I think I was right!
5thcivic

Post by 5thcivic »

I especially asked for 16in with my advance. Low profile tyres are just ridiculous on our third world pot holed roads, and when stationary in a traffic jam :-))
Seriously though the extra depth makes a difference in a smooth ride on bad roads.