Infotainment system during charging

All Honda E related discussions
Abbe

Post by Abbe »

Hello all,

The 12V battery of my E was replaced this week. It was not healthy anymore because the car didn't drive enough in the last 2 years since it is produced. My E was used as a dealer demo and therefore came with only 1400km when I got it. Second hand but very new.

I am curious now if it is risky to use the infotainment system during (fast) charging. From what I understand, during fast charging, only the traction battery is charged, not the 12V battery. Therefore the 12V battery will be drained.

What wille be the power consumption of the infotainmentsystem?

What is your opinion about using the infotainment system during fast charging? Is it better to switch the car off and keep an eye on the app or is it totally fine to keep the car switched on and use the screens for Netflix while waiting?

Best regards

Abbe

keithr

Post by keithr »

If the car is charging then the 12V battey is also charged at 13.3V by the DC/DC converter. Once the battery pack reaches 100% and charging stops, then the trickle charging of the 12V battery also stops.
MattHero

Post by MattHero »

Abbe wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:08 pm
What is your opinion about using the infotainment system during fast charging? Is it better to switch the car off and keep an eye on the app or is it totally fine to keep the car switched on and use the screens for Netflix while waiting?

I think the best guidance is to ensure that the car is running off the main (traction) battery when you're doing this. The green arrow (hit brake pedal on start-up) ensures this is the case.
Last edited by MattHero on Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Advance Charge Yellow on 16s.
nyx

Post by nyx »

After 30 mins or so of using the infotainment it will ask if it should shut down to save battery. At this point, the common wisdom seems to be to fasten the driver’s seat belt - then the dialog goes away. It’s not entirely clear to me which battery it’s saving. Presumably the 12V.

I keep a loose seat belt clip in my car for this purpose. Saves having to actually bring the seat belt across. (I bought a pack of two and plan on giving the spare to the first Honda e driver I meet in the wild :p).
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

nyx wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:29 pm I keep a loose seat belt clip in my car for this purpose. Saves having to actually bring the seat belt across. (I bought a pack of two and plan on giving the spare to the first Honda e driver I meet in the wild :p).
Although smart that is a unnecessary fix for problem that only exists in the mind of owners that either don't see what the dash tells them or just don't bother to read the manual...
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
nyx

Post by nyx »

FDAD wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:43 pm Although smart that is a unnecessary fix for problem that only exists in the mind of owners that either don't see what the dash tells them or just don't bother to read the manual...
I’ve looked through the manual quite a lot and I’ve also asked a Honda tech about this, but neither gave me a enough clarity to skip this ritual :)

I also did it when using the 12V for the tyre inflator, after reading a horror story of two in this forum about a drained battery.

Could you please refer to the part of the manual that you feel makes this very clear? (Not intended as a gotcha - I’d love more clarity on this.)
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

nyx wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:44 am Could you please refer to the part of the manual that you feel makes this very clear? (Not intended as a gotcha - I’d love more clarity on this.)

Whenever you get out of the car:

1649845522654.jpg

The auto shutdown warning comes on! if you choose Yes, it does not shut down ( for 30minutes)

p254.jpg

If you open the door to exit the car and leave it this will show up. This means the car is in vehicle off mode and there for will deplete the battery.:
Pressing the break pedal leaving the key fob in and then exiting will keep it charging, pressing the break wile exiting leaving with the key fob with you, will replace your directive to keep the system on after leaving and it will shutdown.

1649845522641.jpg

This warning will show up long before the battery is drained beyond recovery.

p655.png

The problem some people have is not understanding how the keyless system works in this car. As a safety measure after the keyfob is out of the car, it's off.
If you ever see the power button in the dash.. it means only the 12v is being used.
The safety belt trick works because the car thinks the car was not left unattended powered on.

The car has the same battery that it came from factory not once was it charged not using the car.... I'm proud to say that it already started ICE vehicles at least 4 times.

If the power button shows up... its not turned on... it's self explanatory i think (same with every car being in accessory mode).
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
nyx

Post by nyx »

Thank you! That will take me some time to digest, but about the seat belt specifically - you said both that it’s unnecessary and that it works.

Do I understand you correctly that you feel it’s unnecessary in the sense that I could instead just keep using the infotainment on the 12V and it will warn me well in advance of it becoming an issue? And it “works” in the sense that it indeed makes the car draw from the traction battery (or from the 12V but keeps charging the 12V from the traction battery, perhaps)?
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

As long as you have powered the car ON (see Ready Indicator below) then you can use all functions of the car for many many hours. During a drive in movie I used the heating, heated seats & radio (for the film audio) for about 3 hours are barely used any power from the main battery & the 12v battery was fine for the hour's drive back home.
I'd suggest spending a few evenings reading the manual, it's not ideally laid out with the information haphazardly spread throughout and the only solution is to read the whole thing.

Ready.PNG

2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

londiniumperson wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:53 pm a few evenings reading the manual, it's not ideally laid out with the information haphazardly spread throughout and the only solution is to read the whole thing.
I must say that the manual became available in the UK website long before I even got the chance to take mine for the test drive and I read it multiple times.. so I was more acquainted with the car then the dealer itself.
:D

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post