Enabling the TCU

All Honda E related discussions
Ebenezer

Post by Ebenezer »

Hi, I got a second hand E in November from somewhere about an hour an half away from me, but I dont think the dealer enabled the TCU. It's not an option for me to go back there as I can't fit it into my daily life.

I went into my local dealer, who didnt seem to know what they were doing, and said that I need to set up a paid for subscription on my phone before they could do anything, and then they would charge me for labour (I honestlty think they went into the back and googled this).

So I left... time has passed... I joined this group and tried to learn a bit more.

My question is, should my local dealer be charging me for an hour/30 mins labour to turn on my TCU?
Or should they just be doing it for free as it's such an important part of having an electric vehicle?

Thanks!

EEEE

Post by EEEE »

If you are not the first owner - you will not get the free subscription to the service (which i assume you do if you are the buyer from brand new)

I bought mine as an ex demonstrator, and i have to pay the 40quid/8year core connectivity pack.

The app is pretty poor and adds little. There are other services, but these are much more expensive and again add very little to the car.

Do not worry that you are missing out on 'such an important part' of the vehicle. I rarely use the app and when i do it tends to disappoint as its pretty crap.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
nyx

Post by nyx »

You can refer the dealer to viewtopic.php?p=2878#p2878 for instructions if they’re totally clueless.

I think maybe you can check the TCU status via the car menus, to confirm this is indeed the issue. Perhaps by tapping the part at the top of the screen that shows various small status icons. I’ll check next time I’m in the car.
nyx

Post by nyx »

Yes indeed - I can see my TCU status here:
FullSizeRender.MOV
(6.09 MiB) Downloaded 305 times
williamchan

Post by williamchan »

Looks like it’s connected. Try download Honda+ app and see if you can takeover the ownership of the vehicle, you will need the VIN and enter a pair code which gonna show from the dashboard to complete the task.
nyx

Post by nyx »

williamchan wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:07 pm Looks like it’s connected. Try download Honda+ app and see if you can takeover the ownership of the vehicle, you will need the VIN and enter a pair code which gonna show from the dashboard to complete the task.
That was me confirming that the status could be checked where I had said - not the original poster :)
henmyg

Post by henmyg »

I got my Honda second hand and managed to register it to me. And got to a very empty screen. Thinking that it failed, I retried registering it. But now it said that it was already registered.
At this point all I had to do ( I later realized) was to go into subscriptions and buy the general (core?) subscription. And then all worked as it should.

Yes the system is slow, but I think the action you select goes through fast enough. It just takes ages for the app to get a reply from the car telling it it succeeded.
So if you just want to start the climate control from your office desk, the app is perfectly fine. As soon as you’ve clicked the button, you can use phone for something else. No need to wait for the success message.
williamchan

Post by williamchan »

nyx wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:05 pm
williamchan wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:07 pm Looks like it’s connected. Try download Honda+ app and see if you can takeover the ownership of the vehicle, you will need the VIN and enter a pair code which gonna show from the dashboard to complete the task.
That was me confirming that the status could be checked where I had said - not the original poster :)
:oops: