My Honda+ App: has the novelty warn off?

All Honda E related discussions
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

So I realised today that the last time I used the App in anger, was to confirm Ownership prompted by Honda's email. Haven’t used it since, and hardly ever use the App now.

Curious to know whether folks use the App on a regular basis, and if so, what for?
In the early days it was a novelty and we all shared the frustration of trying to use it.

Now that it has improved, maybe people are using it more often. I assume it is more useful in winter to pre-heat your car.

And now that it gives you “notifications” that your car is charging, and stopped charging, is this of any use? Seems obvious to me, every time I use a free charger, what has just happened. So I don’t need the App to tell me.

Car related Apps that I do use more frequently on my iPhone are:-
Battery Monitor BM2*
PodPoint
Google Maps
ZapMap
BPPulse - when juice is free
InstaVolt
SWARCOeConnect
MER UK
GeniePoint

(ranked in order of usage)
*if you haven’t bought yourself a BM2 Battery Monitor with the free App you should!
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons

nyx

Post by nyx »

The notifications are nice when charging at home, especially if scheduled.

I use the app sometimes to unlock the car if I don’t have the keys on me. But would never dare drive off without the actual key.

Other than that, I preheat or precool sometimes. Check SoC at home or change the charging limit (usually at 80%, sometimes increase to 100%).

Check SoC when away from the car on a public charger.

Sometimes check if it’s locked if I’m unsure.

Sometimes check the journey log.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

When I picked my Honda up in August 2020 I used to drive the car at least 5 days a week so I regularly used the app for:
  • Checking SoC.
  • Home charge notifications are useful to ensure that the car has started charging at my 20:30 cheap rate start time, also it reminds me to put on the dishwasher.
  • Pre heating & pre-cooling.
  • Changing the max home charge value as I set it to either 80 or 85% as a default, but occasional require 90-100%.
  • The bi annual app registration.
However since as of a couple of weeks ago I'm working exclusively from home so I hardly use it.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

I love the car but the app has been a bit of a disappointment, mainly in always showing the car in an old state. When you know on repeated occasions that you have definitely locked the doors and it always says that you haven't then you begin to lose faith in it. Part of me does like the idea though that it might be up a tree a few miles away, happily flapping its doors open and closed...

Then again, I only have needed to use it to pre-heat, and tend to do at most a few thousand miles a year, so I get why others have more of a reason to deal with SOC and charging etc.
igb

Post by igb »

"mainly in always showing the car in an old state."

I apologise if I am stating the obvious, but if you tap the arrow/circle symbol in the top left hand corner it refreshes by talking to the car. I use this to track the temperature during the day.
5thcivic

Post by 5thcivic »

And it would be far better if that update happened automatically when you open the app so it then shows the true situation? Unfortunately it takes a few minutes for me even sitting in the lounge with the car in the garage two rooms away.
ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

5thcivic wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:20 pm And it would be far better if that update happened automatically when you open the app so it then shows the true situation? Unfortunately it takes a few minutes for me even sitting in the lounge with the car in the garage two rooms away.
igb wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:25 am "mainly in always showing the car in an old state."

I apologise if I am stating the obvious, but if you tap the arrow/circle symbol in the top left hand corner it refreshes by talking to the car. I use this to track the temperature during the day.
Both very fair points, and I'd add that stating the obvious was exactly what was needed after my unclear post!

I am aware of the refresh button, but as it takes so long I rarely bother. An insult to even first-world problems, I know, but compared to pretty much anything else on my phone, it just seems so clunky. Case in point, today as it was hot, I wanted to start the aircon before getting in, and my walk to the car from work takes at least a few minutes. By the time the app had decided to log me back in, communicate, check for updates etc, the fans started whirring as I approached the car.

5thcivic, to be honest, even your suggestion is above my expectations. What I hope for is an update that gets the car to send a status just before it goes into hibernation, i.e. a few minutes after leaving it. At least that way it'll tell me that the doors are locked!
Sco

Post by Sco »

I enthusiastically downloaded all the usuals including My Honda and the reality has been that I use 0 day to day. Once a month maybe a public charger app.

I charge at home mainly and I think the Honda app is too slow/buggy, puts me off having a quick glance. My wall charger handles the charging and schedule.
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

Just imagine that you open up your Banking App, and it tells you your Balance the last time you drove past a bank, or happened to get a good 4G signal. Honda need to try harder. At my age, life is too short.
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Now that I'm working from home 100% of the time, the app has become more useless and annoying to me.
I used to commute and had a reasonably regular departure time so the pre-heat/cooling was scheduled, now I go out in the car at random times I find the app pointless and can waste several minutes attempting to set it, so I now use the keyfob to pre-heat/cool on demand just before I leave.

BTW - The novelty wore off before I even used the app, simply because it took 3 months and an ultimatum for the dealership to get it working.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post