Electric supply

All Honda E related discussions
Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

My current electric supplier (they supply gas as well, but we heat by oil) is Octopus Energy.
I don’t work for them, but can’t praise them enough. They are better and different to any energy company that has supplied me thus far. Good service and good prices.
If you decide to switch to them, please use this code and we each receive £50

https://share.octopus.energy/sunny-elk-398

I am on Octopus Go tariff - a special for EV drivers. 25p/day standing charge, 13.5p/kWh during the day and 5p at night for four hours - to charge the car
There is also Octopus Agile that varies the price over 24hrs. It can dip into negative pricing at night. Meaning they pay you to use electric.
It will be interesting to compare these prices to the proposed Honda e:Progress rates and services

rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Was thinking the exact same. I'll possibly switch to something like Octopus Agile if my current provider (Good Energy) don't come up with something similar soon. I'll wait and see what the e:Progress deal is too, but for me the whole package has to be 100% sustainable (including the suppliers investments, a reason why I'm still with Good Energy) so I need to do a bit more research.

One other thing I like about Agile is the way in which it discourages ultra-peak usage too, by hiking the price to over 25p/kWh during 4pm-7pm. This is simply following the wholesale half-hourly rates, but it really makes you consider - do I really need to put on the washing machine or dishwasher during that period, for example.

Another thing about Agile is, it could really max out the savings potential of something like a powerwall (or vehicle-to-grid if that ever gets enabled for the Honda e). You can charge the wall/vehicle during the ultra-cheap (sometimes even they pay you!) night half-hours, and then wait until the ultra-peak 4pm-7pm to discharge and make big savings. A rough calc I did suggested this would payback a powerwall installed cost in under 10 years. Not amazing, but not terrible either considering they're warrantied for 10 years, and expected to last at least 5 more than that. It may be even faster payback if electricity prices continue to rise. It also helps the grid balance, so everyone's a winner.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post