Brushing sound at lower speeds?

All Honda E related discussions
vulgaris_magistralis

Post by vulgaris_magistralis »

I just got my Honda E in Netherlands that I've been waiting for a year now. I've been reading this forum in the meantime, firstly thank you all.

After a couple of days of driving, I noticed a brushing sound coming while I'm at low speeds (usually either breaking or taking off). My best guess is that it is coming from the wheels. Since it sounds almost like the break pads are scraping against the rotor, I checked it but couldn't see something. The sound vanishes once I get up to speed (around 40km/h).

Is this normal? Do you guys also have it? Since I'm a newbie and it is my first EV, I'm not sure if this is supposed to be okay or not.

Accord

Post by Accord »

I can hear the motor when regenerating downhill at 30-40 km/h, but I haven't heard any brushing.
keithr

Post by keithr »

Are you sure it's not the pedestrian warning sound that the car makes at low speeds? ;)
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Mines done that from new, on mine it’s definitely the disc pads rubbing on the discs because not only do I get an excessive (compared to any other car I’ve owned in 40 years) amount of brake dust on the wheels but also the pads have worn a lot more than other EV’s, particularly on the rear.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
hondaeboy

Post by hondaeboy »

vulgaris_magistralis wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:44 pm Is this normal? Do you guys also have it? Since I'm a newbie and it is my first EV, I'm not sure if this is supposed to be okay or not.
Does it do this when you're completely stationary? Or only when you drive at very low speeds? If the latter, it's the mandatory pedestrian warning noise.

https://electrek.co/2019/07/01/electric-cars-eu-noise/
2021 Honda e Advance on 16" RC30 wheels with Goodyear 195/55 & 205/55 tyres.
Wrapped in Red metallic with full black and cinnamon leather interior.
londiniumperson

The pedestrian sound is more like a spaceship rather than a brushing noise. I found that it’s barely noticeable from inside the car, whereas outside it’s easily heard, see at 3:45 here on YouTube:
vulgaris_magistralis

keithr wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:11 pm Are you sure it's not the pedestrian warning sound that the car makes at low speeds? ;)
First I thought so too but no. I heard the spaceship kinda noise while driving at low speeds.
vulgaris_magistralis

londiniumperson wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:16 pm Mines done that from new, on mine it’s definitely the disc pads rubbing on the discs because not only do I get an excessive (compared to any other car I’ve owned in 40 years) amount of brake dust on the wheels but also the pads have worn a lot more than other EV’s, particularly on the rear.
You know what, it jogged my memory and this might be it. I was surprised to see how much brake dust accumulated on the wheel for such a 5000km car before buying. Check out the image attached and you'll notice the brown dust caked on the inner side.

May I ask how did you get it fixed?

Capture.PNG

londiniumperson

vulgaris_magistralis wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:07 pm
londiniumperson wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:16 pm Mines done that from new, on mine it’s definitely the disc pads rubbing on the discs because not only do I get an excessive (compared to any other car I’ve owned in 40 years) amount of brake dust on the wheels but also the pads have worn a lot more than other EV’s, particularly on the rear.
You know what, it jogged my memory and this might be it. I was surprised to see how much brake dust accumulated on the wheel for such a 5000km car before buying. Check out the image attached and you'll notice the brown dust caked on the inner side.

May I ask how did you get it fixed?
There’s no fix, other than washing the wheels regularly :lol:

After cleaning my wheels they look like your photo after 400m, yes metres not miles.

There’s no point talking to the dealer about this for me because they don’t even fix actual faults.
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Can't say I've ever heard it, but I'm running the wheels which are completely enclosed so that would keep a lot of the sound under the car. Even with the quiet nature of the car, unless you have the windows open you shouldn't be able to hear it?
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post