Post by Joolsdc »

Just found this in the Honda UK website
https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/campaigns/ ... icing.html

Five years service for £649. To 62,500 miles
And an extra £350 to extend the warranty

Not sure if that is good value or not given how little EVs need servicing

rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

I wouldn’t call it good value for the e, particularly since it’s the same price if you buy one of Honda’s diesel burners that should require way more servicing and maintenance. Looking at it as an extended warranty in itself, again it’s hard to consider it good value when for example the VW ID.3 has an eight year guaranty!

On the subject of servicing, I was quite surprised to read the details on service intervals in the manual. They seem way ott for an EV.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

What exactly does a service consist of with an electric car? Something I've honestly never considered before until now!

Less moving parts I suppose, but does anything special need to be maintained for battery health?
keithr

Post by keithr »

Rob wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:14 am What exactly does a service consist of with an electric car? Something I've honestly never considered before until now!

Less moving parts I suppose, but does anything special need to be maintained for battery health?
Fewer moving parts, not "less moving parts" - end of English lesson! :)

It's quite simple to figure it out what a service will entail - it's exactly the same as an ICE car service but without the engine servicing, i.e. no changes of oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs, no valve clearence checks, no cam belt/chain adjustment or changes, etc.. When plugging in a diagnostic computer it mainly just gives a battery pack health assessment - there won't be any error codes for potentially faulty oxygen sensors, air flow meters, etc..

According to the Honda e Owner's Manual the service will consist of:

Replace transmission fluid - every 62,500 miles
Replace dust and pollen filter - every 12,500 miles or 1 year
Inspect front and rear brakes - every 6,000 miles or 1 year
Replace brake fluid - every 3 years
Check expiry date for tyre repair kit bottle - every year
Visually inspect the following items:
Driveshaft boots - every 6,000 miles or 1 year
Tie rod ends, steering gear box, and boots - every 6,000 miles or 1 year
Suspension components - every 6,000 miles or 1 year
Brake hoses and lines (including ABS/VSA) - every 12,500 miles or 1 year
All fluid levels and condition of fluid - every 12,500 miles or 1 year
Last edited by keithr on Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

keithr wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:59 pm
Rob wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:14 am What exactly does a service consist of with an electric car? Something I've honestly never considered before until now!

Learn something new every day! :lol:
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

keithr wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:59 pmIt's quite simple to figure it out what a service will entail - it's exactly the same as an ICE car service but without the engine servicing, i.e. no changes of oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs, no valve clearence checks, no cam belt/chain adjustment or changes, etc.. When plugging in a diagnostic computer it mainly just gives a battery pack health assessment - there won't be any error codes for potentially faulty oxygen sensors, air flow meters, etc..

According to the Hond e Owner's Manual the service will consist of:

Replace transmission fluid - every 62,500 miles
Replace dust and pollen filter - every 12,500 miles or 1 year
Inspect front and rear brakes - every 6,000 miles or 1 year
Replace brake fluid - every 3 years
Check expiry date for tyre repair kit bottle - every year
Visually inspect the following items:
Driveshaft boots - every 6,000 miles or 1 year
Tie rod ends, steering gear box, and boots - every 6,000 miles or 1 year
Suspension components - every 6,000 miles or 1 year
Brake hoses and lines (including ABS/VSA) - every 12,500 miles or 1 year
All fluid levels and condition of fluid - every 12,500 miles or 1 year
It was those 6000 mile intervals that caught my attention. This would be every six months for anyone doing average mileage. Why so short?!
keithr

Post by keithr »

rickwookie wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:40 am It was those 6000 mile intervals that caught my attention. This would be every six months for anyone doing average mileage. Why so short?!
Yes, it does seem excessive for a modern car. For comparison, the Nissan LEAF has 18,000 miles (or every year) intervals for inspecting the brakes, and 36,000 miles (or every 2 years) intervals for inspecting the suspension and steering. Quite a difference! (Although they specify replacing the brake fluid every 2 years whereas for the Honda e they say replace it every 3 years.)

Even for "severe driving conditions" Nissan only halve the distance for brake fluid change and inspecting brakes, steering and suspension, which is still 1.5 or 3 times as far as for the Honda (apart from the brake fluid change). For severe driving conditions, Honda only halve the distance for the transmission fluid change from 62,500 miles to 31,000 miles (Nissan only say inspect the transmission oil and don't specify when to change it).

Strangely, the Honda e Owner's Manual says, "Have your servicing dealer record all required maintenance below", and then has a table just listing 12,500 miles or 12 months interval servicing , but there's no provision for recording 6,000 miles inspections. I expect most owner's will just service every 12 months, or more frequently if they do more than 12,500 miles per year. I do less than 6,000 miles a year nowadays so it won't be a problem for me! :)
keithr

Post by keithr »

Rob wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:12 pm
keithr wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:59 pm
Rob wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:14 am Less moving parts I suppose, but does anything special need to be maintained for battery health?
Learn something new every day! :lol:
So many people get it wrong! But it's simple to work out which word to use. If you're refering to individual objects then use 'fewer', otherwise use 'less'. For example, "Fewer buckets will hold less water" is correct, but "Less buckets will hold fewer water" is completely wrong! :lol:
Rei

Post by Rei »

It seems overpriced. My old leaf was 120/year and that was way too much.

I'll have to have a look for other places that do cheaper servicing for EVs.
keithr

Post by keithr »

Rei wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:49 pm It seems overpriced. My old leaf was 120/year and that was way too much.
Yes, it's overpriced because the Nissan LEAF service includes a year's breakdown recovery cover, which is probably more than half the cost of the service. I wish it was optional rather than included whether you want it or not. A year ago the minor service for the Nissan LEAF cost me £149, of which about £30 was for a new cabin air filter and screenwash fluid and plug.

I've no idea how much the Honda dealers will charge for servicing the Honda e. The insurance group for the Honda is much higher than for the Nissan (I've no idea why), so I hope cheaper servicing will help to compensate for that. I don't have very high hopes of that being the case though! :(

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post