Towbar on Honda-e

All Honda E related discussions
hondaero

Post by hondaero »

Hi,

Has anybody fit the Detachable Bicycle Carrier Attachment on Honda e (presented @ https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/new/honda- ... ories.html) ?
Any picture of the final result ?
Are you satisfied or any concerns during installation and/or usage ?
Any drawbacks on range or handling ?

Thank you,
~amo~
2023 Honda e Red Advance on 16" Michelin 195/55 & 205/55 tyres.

Verone

Post by Verone »

I've never seen one with the bike rack attached, but outside that, Honda are pretty specific about regular towing in the owner's manual. There's an entire page dedicated to it :lol:

Towing.png

:
Icelandic Advance Limited Edition in Premium Crystal Red on 17" rims
Registered May 2023
Home Type 2 Charging & Free Work Type 2 Charging! Woo!
ODO - 8750km
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

Verone wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:09 pm I've never seen one with the bike rack attached, but outside that, Honda are pretty specific about regular towing in the owner's manual. There's an entire page dedicated to it :lol:

Towing.png:
You can tow a Reanult megane easily, don't have range figures :lol: but its effortless.
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
hondaero

Post by hondaero »

Hi,

in fact, there is one offered as Honda accessory even in the standard catalog (at least the local one).
it is NOT produced in house, but from a partner called Brink.
service bulletin exists showing how it can be fitted.
total weight is below 20kg.
i was looking for somebody who already installed it and can provide feedback on the usage.

Thanks,
~amo~
McSTF

Post by McSTF »

Hi !

I have been reading this forum for 2 year, now i see a topic about something few people seem to have experienced.

I chose the Honda because it had a towbar available as an official accessory.

We mounted it at our dealership 2 years ago, it has cost 700€ all included (actually it was a typo, should have cost 800€).

I have joined a photo with a 2-bikes carrier.

IMG_20210622_103055_01~2.jpg

For the downs: reverse collision detection is not deactivated (it says so on the Honda documents):
- automatic braking will actually brake when reversing (must be deactivated everytime you start the car)
- collision "radars?" will bips constantly (that can totally be deactivated)

It also has two pins on each side to prevent you from using a trailer. My cheap bike carrier needed some "manual adjustment" for it to work !

PXL_20230329_180408072.jpg

For the ups: it is easy to use, it is lockable and is not too high on the car (as i expect the ID.3 to be).

Hope this answers your questions
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

It's great to find someone with the towbar.

Other downsides are:
  • No rear passengers are allowed when using it.
  • A 36 kg total load capacity.
  • Supposedly there is only one approved bike carrier, the Thule Easyfold 931.
I have seen this information myself from Honda, but cannot find it, though there is an old thread about this with more information:
Weight limit
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
hondaero

Post by hondaero »

Hi,

@McSTF, thank you very much ... very useful to see the picture.

@londiniumperson, mentioned downsides look strange to me and we would need to understand more:
  • No rear passengers are allowed when using it. -> that would kill my use case as I would like to drive with my daughter to the forest
  • A 36 kg total load capacity -> Brink towbar limit is 75kg, strange to see it decreases even further
  • Supposedly there is only one approved bike carrier, the Thule Easyfold 931. -> again need to understand more as the main limitations should be the 13-pins electrical connection and weight, no others.
I've checked and haven't identified those limitations mentioned in any documentation (either Honda e or Towbar provider).

Any additional thoughts would help.

Thanks,
~amo~
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

hondaero wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:35 am Hi,

@McSTF, thank you very much ... very useful to see the picture.

@londiniumperson, mentioned downsides look strange to me and we would need to understand more:
  • No rear passengers are allowed when using it. -> that would kill my use case as I would like to drive with my daughter to the forest
  • A 36 kg total load capacity -> Brink towbar limit is 75kg, strange to see it decreases even further
  • Supposedly there is only one approved bike carrier, the Thule Easyfold 931. -> again need to understand more as the main limitations should be the 13-pins electrical connection and weight, no others.
I've checked and haven't identified those limitations mentioned in any documentation (either Honda e or Towbar provider).

Any additional thoughts would help.

Thanks,
~amo~
All I can suggest is that you read the thread that I linked to earlier and use your Google foo.
Personally I cannot see any reason not to use any bike rack that fits but maybe the approved one doesn’t need modification like @McSTF had to do.
As to not being able to use the rear seats, I think it had been mentioned that it was to do with weight specifications. See this extract from the Honda UK website:
Kerb Weight (kg). 1520-1543 kg
Max. Permissible Weight (kg). 1870 kg
Payload (kg). 327-350 kg
Max. Permissible Axle Weight - Front/Rear (kg). 875/1005 kg

However how you use your car is your prerogative.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
hondaero

Post by hondaero »

Thanks and good point on the masses as I was NOT aware the limits are so tied.

BTW, into my CoC (Certification of Conformity), actual mass of the vehicle is 1602 kg !!!
IMO, there is still room for my use case but need to take care.

Now, I need to find the budget and deal with the idea installation requires sawing a section of the middle of the underside of the bumper and a part of the cover plate :shock:

Thanks,
~amo~

PS: by chance, my current bike rack is Thule 931 !

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post