Tesla charger

All Honda E related discussions
JessDress

Post by JessDress »

A word of warning: I used a Tesla charger which my Honda e did not like. The car charged just fine but when I finished a “power system indicator “ symbol appeared on the dashboard. It looks like an orange car with an exclamation mark.
Since the Tesla charge I can now only charge on slow chargers. The car flashes red on the charge port if I try a high powered charger.
I’m taking it back to the dealer who will hopefully fix it but wanted to warn others.

Verone

Post by Verone »

There's been quite a few people complaining about non-tesla vehicles having their charging systems fucked up by Tesla Superchargers. Not a chance I'd use one, the build quality of their cars is bad enough, so I wouldn't trust their chargers.

I've heard that apparently the issues with the e are caused by overvoltage supplied by the supercharger, due to the supercharger recognising the Honda e's charging system as that of a Tesla Model Y (which has a 400v batter pack, while the e is 350v). Take that with a pinch of salt though, as I've got no idea how accurate it is. This is apparently the same for a few different vehicles that have the same problem with Tesla's charging infrastructure.

In terms of repairs, apparently there's replacement charging system components needed when this happens, but hopefully you'll have no long lasting damage.
Icelandic Advance Limited Edition in Premium Crystal Red on 17" rims
Registered May 2023
Home Type 2 Charging & Free Work Type 2 Charging! Woo!
ODO - 8750km
pauketju

Post by pauketju »

I feared Tesla chargers until my service center updated the firmware of my charger unit.
After this update I have had no issues with any charger (knock on wood). Even Tesla V2 chargers.

The quick plug in charge issue has been hitting me left and right until the update.
Advance Platinum pearl white 17"
hondaeboy

Post by hondaeboy »

pauketju wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:56 pm I feared Tesla chargers until my service center updated the firmware of my charger unit.
After this update I have had no issues with any charger (knock on wood). Even Tesla V2 chargers.
When did you get this update? Did they provide any other information about this update?
2021 Honda e Advance on 16" RC30 wheels with Goodyear 195/55 & 205/55 tyres.
Wrapped in Red metallic with full black and cinnamon leather interior.
pauketju

Post by pauketju »

hondaeboy wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:14 pm When did you get this update? Did they provide any other information about this update?
They updated the firmware after I had a charge error in early April this year. If I remember correctly they said the update was dated from summer 2022...
They had no information on what the update did, no information from Honda, and gave me no confidence that this would fix the issue.
But for my e it was at least a new firmware for a part that I have had issues with, and since then it has been fine. No guarantee that it will be fine on all chargers.
I also had no issues on Kempower chargers (this time).
Advance Platinum pearl white 17"
Verone

Post by Verone »

pauketju wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:04 am
hondaeboy wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:14 pm When did you get this update? Did they provide any other information about this update?
They updated the firmware after I had a charge error in early April this year. If I remember correctly they said the update was dated from summer 2022...
They had no information on what the update did, no information from Honda, and gave me no confidence that this would fix the issue.
But for my e it was at least a new firmware for a part that I have had issues with, and since then it has been fine. No guarantee that it will be fine on all chargers.
If the latest firmware is from mid 2022, then mine should be good, given that it was delivered this May.

I don't see the point in risking it though. The car can only max out at 50kw on a CCS charger, and basically every CCS charger is capable of delivering that, so there's no point in using Tesla superchargers for me, given the non-Tesla infrastructure is so good here.
Icelandic Advance Limited Edition in Premium Crystal Red on 17" rims
Registered May 2023
Home Type 2 Charging & Free Work Type 2 Charging! Woo!
ODO - 8750km
hondaeboy

Post by hondaeboy »

Verone wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:43 pm
pauketju wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:04 am
If the latest firmware is from mid 2022, then mine should be good, given that it was delivered this May.

I don't see the point in risking it though. The car can only max out at 50kw on a CCS charger, and basically every CCS charger is capable of delivering that, so there's no point in using Tesla superchargers for me, given the non-Tesla infrastructure is so good here.
Well, i don't wanna throw money at ElonX either, but I also don't want to be scammed by the rest.

I noticed that the rates of the Tesla chargers are way cheaper, even without a subscription. And they can vary based on location and time. Around where I live they are about 39 ct/kWh, or 36 ct/kWh a little bit further on, whereas Fastned and Shell are crazy expensive with rates of 65, 69, or even 76 ct/kWh.

The more options the better. I've had a few instances where I would've loved to use the massive amounts of Tesla superchargers in stead of having to pray for the one single Max Burger charger to be still available upon arrival.

I have asked my dealer to look into it. Maybe they can tell if there was an update. But it's annoying that Honda are so incredibly vague about it. The other issue is that it might indeed be solved already, but that no one noticed, because they're understando scared to death to even try.
2021 Honda e Advance on 16" RC30 wheels with Goodyear 195/55 & 205/55 tyres.
Wrapped in Red metallic with full black and cinnamon leather interior.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post