Honda e insight - Android App with ABRP integration

All Honda E related discussions
happyV

Post by happyV »

Hey,

the last couple of days I wrote my first Android App.
It's able to read Live-Data off of the OBDII and send them to the ABRP API.
On Monday I'm planning on driving from Hanover to Munich and give it a good real-world test.

I don't plan on taking the app to the play store or F-Droid. I don't see that the amount of work will be worth it. The user base is probably just too small. I'm checking how making it open source on github is a possibility, but I first have to make sure the libraries I'm using allow this.

Currently the App is very developer-based from a design standpoint and is also using older Android APIs - for compatibility reasons. But on the technical side - it works.

If anyone is interested in trying the app or wanting to contribute (even getting in in the play store) - please contact me. Disclaimer: The app is "as-is" and I'm not responsible for anything.

The app should work on every Android 9 or newer. My Xperia 5 II is running Android 12 and the app works just fine.

The OBDII-Adaptor I'm using is an OBDlink MX Bluetooth. But any ELM327-based adapter should work, as long as it's paired with your phone and communicating over bluetooth. That means a BLE adapter will probably not work.

Kind regards
Daniel

Screenshot_20230815-212337_1.png

londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Fantastic work, this sounds amazing.

It would be great if you could post this on github; I switched to iOS about 2 years ago, but intend to move back to Android because I've found that iOS and Apple products are subject to the same issues as Android phones however they are much cheaper.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Very interested in this :D
Ex e owner
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

I'm also interested!
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + βœŒοΈπŸŽ‚
happyV

Post by happyV »

Hey,

please just send me a dm so I get send you the apk. Again: I can not give you support, but I'm almost there releasing it as open source. Would love to her back about your findings and which OBDII-Dongle you are using.

One note: It doesn't work with cheap ELM327-Clones. It is also possible that it won't work with an original EL327. The messages the e sends are pretty extensive. Basically raw CAN messages. It uses the OBDII-Connector, but it's far from OBDII-standards.

Regards
Daniel
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

happyV wrote: ↑Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:50 am Hey,

please just send me a dm so I get send you the apk. Again: I can not give you support, but I'm almost there releasing it as open source. Would love to her back about your findings and which OBDII-Dongle you are using.

One note: It doesn't work with cheap ELM327-Clones. It is also possible that it won't work with an original EL327. The messages the e sends are pretty extensive. Basically raw CAN messages. It uses the OBDII-Connector, but it's far from OBDII-standards.

Regards
Daniel
Have you tried customizing the aquarium app so that it tries to install your app instead? Maybe using the aquariums signature.
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + βœŒοΈπŸŽ‚
happyV

Post by happyV »

That's absolutely not how this works.
And then I developed for an old version of Android, but the Honda's Android is ever older. It actually wasn't even supported anymore as I got mine.
That could possibly mean that it's not too difficult to root the system. But... I don't want a 30k€ brick in my driveway....
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

happyV wrote: ↑Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:01 pm That's absolutely not how this works.
And then I developed for an old version of Android, but the Honda's Android is ever older. It actually wasn't even supported anymore as I got mine.
That could possibly mean that it's not too difficult to root the system. But... I don't want a 30k€ brick in my driveway....
If only we lived close... :D I would absolutely let you mess with it.
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

This isn't a tesla, I suspect you could fully unplug the infotainment components and the car will still drive/charge much the same as with it. Still, bricking the infotainment is a real possibility which is best avoided.

Even with extra apps, if you could get them running natively on the infotainment, I don't think it will enrich the driving or ownership experience too much.

OK it would be nice to see the charge rate perhaps for public chargers that don't display it, and perhaps some stats on total regen for a journey or more detailed long term efficiency stats, but its hardly a deal breaker.

Quite why people want all this data (whilst driving) is a bit beyond my comprehension (I guess I'm referring more to the other thread about the pi and HDMI input). I get tinkering for the sake of tinkering, but when I jump in the old car I'm quite pleased about the lack of intrusions grabbing my attention.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

EEEE wrote: ↑Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:31 am
This isn't a tesla, I suspect you could fully unplug the infotainment components and the car will still drive/charge much the same as with it. Still, bricking the infotainment is a real possibility which is best avoided.
Tested and yes it works... I can even tell you the car lets you drive without camera inputs for the digital mirrors.

Below is the MCU for the infotainment

e0530497-29fb-4f2d-9b79-a33f9bad23bb.jpg

l636095b.jpg

Go and check the price of a new unit. :D

Besides a bricked unit would be an easy fix in the dealer as the main system image is protected.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post