Pathetic 3 year warranty

All Honda E related discussions
Saucebox

Post by Saucebox »

Given Honda's high reputation to produce reliable cars, I find it staggering and annoying that it only provides a mere 3 year warranty... Renault has an appalling record for reliability (penultimate bottom out of 37 in one national satisfaction survey last year!) yet it gives a 5 year warranty... The Japanese manufacturer will surely rectify the situation shortly one would hope. I find the situation almost unbelievable and wholly unsatisfactory.

Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

It is a very good point. When there isn’t much to go wrong with an EV. I think the battery has an 8 year 100k warranty. When you compare to Kia.....
bogga

Post by bogga »

!THREAD-RESURRECTION!

Was the 8 year 100k battery warranty confirmed anywhere? What are the terms and conditions?

My Outlander battery warranty works like this: "battery capacity falls below 70% in the first 8 years/100,000 miles a free repair or replacement will be provided"
Saucebox

Post by Saucebox »

I was referring to the car warranty. Even Renault, not exactly renown for reliability and build quality, has recently upped its warranty to five years. Honda, with a fine record of achievement in this area, have yet to fall awake and have similar confidence in their products.
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

In the Netherlands you can get a 10-year warranty if you have your car insurance at Honda Insurance (outsourced to an independent insurer) and you have your maintenance done by the official Honda dealer. Honda insurance is slightly more expensive than average. Do not know if this also applies to the e, but I assume that. Normal you have a 3 years warranty, which you can extend every year to a maximum of 5 years and that costs you something like 250 euros per year. I opt for the insurance, because I have that now too, but my experience is that nothing breaks at a Honda.
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only
Saucebox

Post by Saucebox »

Very interesting indeed. For months in the run-up to a decision I ummed and arred, my sentiments oscillating between the Honda e and the Renault Zoe. On the former I especially like the innovative door cameras, which at a stroke make mirrors look terribly outdated; the latter won the day on points, the clinch factor being the stylish design, pleasing from every angle.
Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

Interesting Sauce. I still haven’t driven the Zoe yet. I need to.
For me Zoe is the more logical purchase, but the Honda is more desirable. Like comparing a basic Samsung phone to an iPhone 11.
Have to say I was impressed with Soul EV yesterday. But expensive
Saucebox

Post by Saucebox »

You encapsulate my own feelings about the e and the Z exactly. I'd be interested to hear your impressions of the French contender after you've had a test drive. I think you're based in Holland but if you were domiciled here in the UK it's presently a buyer's market for potential Zoe purchasers. There are a number of cancelled orders gathering dust at Southampton docks and you can virtually name your price if, like me, you're prepared to compromise on colour and model, although of course it's worth asking if they might indeed have the precise spec you're seeking if you ultimately decide on a Renault. Apart from shortcomings to do with the satnav I'm pleased with mine.
eread

Post by eread »

I love and normally acquire the Jap/Korea cars - because of their reliability Hyundai, Kia, Honda etc. Disappointing to see only a 3-year warranty on an EV but I'm guessing since it's a "first gen" car they're being a tad careful I guess. I would expect in the facelift or gen 2 a bumped range and a bumped warranty to maybe 5 years?
Last edited by eread on Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Saucebox

Post by Saucebox »

I traded in a Kia Picanto and granted it wasn't the most exciting car to drive it was totally dependable. I too was attracted by Honda's reputation for quality but the e's ludicrously small boot and limited range dissuaded me in the end. I'm not sure whether the 3-year Honda warranty applies to all of their products, I rather think it does. On the build quality front, by all accounts the latest Zoe is much improved from its predecessors though there are tell-tale signs of deficiency when you shut the doors and boot. However, the rest of the car feels solid I must say.