Pathetic 3 year warranty

All Honda E related discussions
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

Take care of the battery, if you do only short trips charge only to where is enough for you. Try not charge more than 70% and don't go less than 20% SOC. If you need to do very long journeys everyday than better not go for the Honda e

rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

bogga wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:25 pm Update......... I've got a brochure...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/photos/share/z ... zyYzcvyVov

...and it's not as the dealer suggests, it's 70% SOC after 8 years or 100,000.

That does not give me piece of mind, it means I have ordered a short range car that can turn into a VERY short range car, without any recourse.
That's in the online brochure too, page 26 - https://www.honda.co.uk/content/dam/loc ... e-20YM.pdf
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Reuben80 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:38 pm Take care of the battery, if you do only short trips charge only to where is enough for you. Try not charge more than 70% and don't go less than 20% SOC. If you need to do very long journeys everyday than better not go for the Honda e
What are you basing that advice on? Considering that all evidence so far is that Honda are only allowing around 80% of the alleged battery capacity to be used anyway, a self imposed limit of this kind would be masochistic in the extreme! :lol:
Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

My battery hypothesis:

Gross battery is 35.5kWh
Current nett battery size is 28.5kWh
The 70% warranty size after 8 years would be on the nett battery size
I think Honda are still assessing the nett size of the e Battery.
I think the firmware update will increase the nett battery size. And there could be more in the future.
Well it’s a theory anyway lol.
eread

Post by eread »

keithr wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:14 pm
eread wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:40 am I love and normally acquire the jap cars - because of their reliability Hyundai, Kia, etc.
I'm confused. :? You say you love and normally own Japanese cars, but then stick "Hyundai, Kia, etc." on the end of the sentence. Do you realise that Hyundai and Kia are South Korean car companies?
Sorry yes, I meant to also include Japanese/Korea cars in my reply my bad. I am fully aware that they are Korean, not to worry.
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

rickwookie wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:06 pm
Reuben80 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:38 pm Take care of the battery, if you do only short trips charge only to where is enough for you. Try not charge more than 70% and don't go less than 20% SOC. If you need to do very long journeys everyday than better not go for the Honda e
What are you basing that advice on? Considering that all evidence so far is that Honda are only allowing around 80% of the alleged battery capacity to be used anyway, a self imposed limit of this kind would be masochistic in the extreme! :lol:
It is based on studies and testing on lithium ion batteries. The more you charge to a high SOC the more you force a full cycle. A battery can have from 300 to 1000 full cycles. It makes more damage to the battery if you charge from let's say 80% to 90% than charging from 50% to 60%. If you use only 20% of a charge a day ideally you want to use the 40% to 60% SOC range. Recently I saw also a video on youtube of the manual of VW ID3 and similar thing was written. To take care of the battery never charge to high SOC unless you are going for a trip. And never charge to 100% and leave it parked. If charging to 100% set the timer to reach 100% right at the departure time.
Same applies to the battery of your phone. There is an app called accubattery and it makes you avoid full cycle to your phone battery and educate you at the same time about lithium ion batteries. Try it. It measures also the state of health of your battery.

It is very important that you take care of your battery from the start when it is brand new, otherwise will be too late.
Left4Cookies

Post by Left4Cookies »

bogga wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:25 pm Update......... I've got a brochure...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/photos/share/z ... zyYzcvyVov

...and it's not as the dealer suggests, it's 70% SOC after 8 years or 100,000.

That does not give me piece of mind, it means I have ordered a short range car that can turn into a VERY short range car, without any recourse.
It does say "minimum" though indeed 70% would suck.

I guess there's no real way of saying today. Maybe the best estimates would be looking at whoever manufactures their batteries and see degradation on other vehicles that use those. I don't know if it's Panasonic or Sanyo or whatever. Would be neat if it's the former since Tesla's batteries have pretty good life?

What comforts me is the fact that Honda E's batteries are water-cooled, so that should hopefully help the lifespan.
bogga

Post by bogga »

The Parkers Guide review says they are Panasonic batteries
ChesterUK

Post by ChesterUK »

A 3 year warranty on the car and the very short service intervals seem naive to me. To say that this is Honda's 1st attempt at a BEV and dismiss a longer period places a lot of onus on owners, especially if they're thinking about long-term ownership as we are. If it wasn't for its uniqueness, we'd have cancelled the order for the car by now. Hopefully it delivers on all it promises.
Rei

Post by Rei »

The short service intervals would be okay if they were cheap. I don't mind them wanting to get some data from the cars, it's their first EV. I'm sure that's what the Nissan battery health report was for.