Sound off to Protect Subwoofer Error

All Honda E related discussions
Isotope Toast

Post by Isotope Toast »

I got an interested notifcation on the way home last night. I was listening to music at a regular volume (like I have since owing the car: ca. 12k KM). After driving about 5 minutes all sound shut off, radio, iTunes, calls also through Honda etc.

Sound shut off to protect Subwoofer

Turning the audio off and on didn't work. Turning it off for awhile and then back on didn't work. Only shutting the car off for a few mintues seemed to reset it.

I couldn't find anything about this (causes/cures) in the instruction manual or here on this forum.

Does anyone have any experience/info on this issue?

EEEE

Post by EEEE »

I have seen similar errors on standalone head units when they encounter a short to ground in one of the speaker wires.

It could be a sign that you have chafed wires perhaps leading to the subwoofer, or perhaps a failure in the subwoofer itself (id say unlikely as the case is plastic so unlikely to ground on anything inside there). For the amplifier to know it's specifically the subwoofer, it suggests it is amplified separately to all other channels so you can probably rule out the other speakers. I'd check the wiring under the back seat and see if anything seems amiss, paying careful attention to any abrasion present.

I doubt that it is temperature related as you say there is a separate warning for that (assuming its not a software error in reporting the actual bug, I wouldn't rule that out).
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
Isotope Toast

Post by Isotope Toast »

Ok, thanks EEEE. I'll have a look under the back seat and see if I can find anything.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Working as designed, this is a known 'feature'; see this thread where other owners have also experienced this:
Sounds restricted as AMP is in protective mode
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

The error reported is slightly different in that thread.

It could still be temperature related. Given how cold it has been outside in the UK, the interior heater most likely was pumping out hot air.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
Isotope Toast

Post by Isotope Toast »

Thanks @londiniumperson.

@EEEE, that could have been the case. It was rather cold, -2, and the heat was set on 22°. (However, at this volume and a louder, sommer or winter, it's never happened before).

Maybe the bass from the Hamilton soundtrack was just a little too wack on that song. ;)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post