Digital Services

All Honda E related discussions
eread

Post by eread »

Thoughts on something similar to this?

Ironic how you're meant to save money with an EV (free tax, all the other benefits) but still end up getting slapped up for it somehow. Charging for features I consider "core" is outright outrageous things like Geo-Fencing may be sold as a "premium" somehow but POI sending, Car Locator, Journey History, Driving Score, and favorite route planner should be included in core. :|

Rei

Post by Rei »

Roadside support might be okay if you normally pay for AA or something.

The connectivity I can live with because it's a one off payment.
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Rei wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:19 am When you buy an Android phone you can use all the Google stuff for free. Email, maps, file storage, voice assistant. You have to provide your own SIM or wifi but then it's all free. They do hit you with ads though.

I suppose ads in your car is something we really don't want, distracting and annoying. The ones who offer it for free like Nissan (although I hear they started charging) must just add it to the up front cost of the car. Well, Apple must add in the free iCloud and that stuff to the cost of the phone too.
Well I don’t get penalised with ads on my iPhone, but yeah my point is if I’m paying £30k for a tiny four-seater car, Honda don’t need to charge for this stuff to subsidise it. They’re just trying it on, and in the current climate I don’t need these additional reasons to NOT go ahead with the purchase.
Rei

Post by Rei »

That's true, a lot of us seem to be teetering on the edge of cancelling and they are not helping themselves.
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

eread wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 1:40 pm Thoughts on something similar to this?

Ironic how you're meant to save money with an EV (free tax, all the other benefits) but still end up getting slapped up for it somehow. Charging for features I consider "core" is outright outrageous things like Geo-Fencing may be sold as a "premium" somehow but POI sending, Car Locator, Journey History, Driving Score, and favorite route planner should be included in core. :|
Yes the data use I’m fine with so long as I get to purchase the data contract independent of Honda (I get that just tethering to my phone data isn’t really an option since when the car’s parked out of WiFi range it would need the independent connection for location, updates, and remote management. As for tracking, I expect thieves would probably be able to disable the data connection within seconds anyway, but I’d like to be proved wrong there!)

The second user charge they can forget altogether. I assume the car still comes with two keys, right?! Don’t even think about making me pay extra for the “privilege” of my wife and I both being able to drive and remotely access the car.

The annual Honda Assistant charge is laughable. My kids found asking our home-made google assistant jokes fun, for about a day. Other than that I don’t use Siri, Alexa, or any other voice assistant and still find them largely a gimmick. They’re of course all free to use once you purchased the compatible hardware. That I’d somehow be encouraged to suddenly start using a voice assistant if I was charged £50 a year for it! Ha!!!
Rei

Post by Rei »

I think they mean if you sell the car then the new owner has to pay 40 quid to enable the connected services.
RAL7004

Post by RAL7004 »

All car manufacturers are hoping for additional income from digital services. In fact, Honda is obviously behaving a little clumsily here too.
I'm totally with rickwookie: £49 p/a for a spoken weather report and restaurant recommendation? Surely only in the beginning because of the childish play instinct...
BTW: What does "Free for the first year then £29 p/a (until third year)"? What will happen in year 4? Termination of service or price increase?
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

RAL7004 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 12:04 pm All car manufacturers are hoping for additional income from digital services. In fact, Honda is obviously behaving a little clumsily here too.
I'm totally with rickwookie: £49 p/a for a spoken weather report and restaurant recommendation? Surely only in the beginning because of the childish play instinct...
BTW: What does "Free for the first year then £29 p/a (until third year)"? What will happen in year 4? Termination of service or price increase?
Termination of service will probably happen after about 18 months due to insufficient take-up after the first "free" year once everyone's realised that haven't used any of those "services" even once, and Honda can't afford to pay the third-party company they've no doubt farmed this digital service out to! :lol:

I mean seriously, what even is "Digital Roadside Support"? It's sure to not be anything to do with roadside recovery when your 120 mile range hasn't quite got you there - something that Nissan DO offer btw (https://www.nissan.co.uk/content/dam/Ni ... .02.18.pdf)
Rei

Post by Rei »

It should include running out of charge although reading through the details it doesn't mention anything about charge or fuel, it just says "breakdown". Well most breakdown services do cover running out of fuel.

Having said all I never managed to run out energy in a Leaf 24 so it's not something I'm all that worried about.

I was trying to get quotes for breakdown cover form Money Supermarket but there is nothing for EVs on there. They all say they cover "out of fuel" but that will be a can of petrol in the van, not tow you to the nearest charger. The only one I could find in my quick search that covers EVs was the AA which are £60/year.
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

See for the costs in Germany this leaflet -> https://www.honda.de/content/dam/local ... 020-06.pdf.
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post