New owner with a couple of questions

All Honda E related discussions
MrM83

Post by MrM83 »

Hi guys.

I previously asked some questions as a prospective buyer and now I’ve finally bitten the bullet and bought a new car (2024 reg). Loving the drive so far!

I have some questions as a hands on owner. Please bear with me and apologies if these questions have been asked before.

1. Door handles. Dreaded door handles. Today I I experienced the passenger door handle not retracting as I drove off. Probably drove 100m or so and was still “out”. Pressing the internal lock button seemed to retract it. Is this normal?

Moreover if someone is able to give me an overview of how the handles should act “normally” that would be great.

2. Locking/unlocking. I can’t fathom what the car menu for door handles setting does. I’ve fiddled with the settings.

Door handles don’t currently automatically “open out” as I approach (which is good as I don’t want them to, but would be good to know what the setting is that defines this).

With the key in my pocket if I go to open the door handle and pull twice (I think) the door unlocks and opens. Can I stop this (keyless opening)? I would love to only be able to lock/unlock the car via the fob, but haven’t figured out how. Would love to hear if this is possible?

3. Cameras. I’m suffering from rain and water spray distorting the images on occasion. Seems worse than on my XC90 with similar system. Are there any treatments that can be applied to resist water beading?

4. I have installed dashcams on all my cars and will do the same here. Preference is to wire into the fusebox with a piggyback connector opposed to OBD supply. I’ve read the fusebox lid in the footwell is difficult to remove? Any advice here welcome.

5. Parking sensor sound is quiet/ hard to hear when listening to Spotify via Carplay. Is it possible to turn the sensor sound up?

6. My left most centre screen occasionally loses signal for a split second and shows “snow” before recovering. Is this a known problem? Is it possible to get to the connector plug to reseat in case of a bad connection?

7. Paintwork. I’m fussy on dents/dings/blemishes. There seems to be a couple of areas high on the door panels where the light reflection isn’t uniform and smooth, but there’s no apparent dent. It’s hard to describe. How good is the paintwork on yours?

Thanks for the advice!

MattHero

Post by MattHero »

6. Yeah, it's not uncommon. It always seems to be that screen, it doesn't seem to get worse (it's happened on mine once a month or so since it was delivered).
2020 Advance Charge Yellow on 16s.
s2ke

Post by s2ke »

Door handles are not greased from factory and should be

It should retract when you get in pretty much I think

When you drive off it locks

Cameras can get water on, I wipe the near one

Not had the snow issue

Paint if soft but should be good from new
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

1) The door handles should retract the moment you drive off. If they don't the handles are either getting sticky or the mechanism is failing or you have another. If it's in warranty, get some new handles ASAP to save you the cost/hassle. The mechanism itself it simple enough to diagnose/grease/etc if required.

2) Not sure what setting you are referring to - by default the keyless entry should pop the handles when you approach. You shouldn't need to do a double pull - but the 'keyless' sensing is a bit hit and miss and the delay in sensing the fob can result in needing to do a double pull. It happens to me about 50% of the time. I believe their are 2 levels to the sensing. A simple check that you are in range (a pop), and then a more thorough check when the handle is pulled. My auto pop out works 100% of the time when i'm close, but the check to actually let me in, 50/50 as I said. Its also annoying as the other doors will not unlock until the drivers door is open, meaning passengers are invited to enter with the handle pop, but can't get in until you do.

3) the side mirror cameras tend not to get water often, but when they do it is annoying. I haven't tried any 'rainx' or similar despite having some in the garage. No harm in trying I guess? There are 2 rear view cameras. The one on the boot panel gets very dirty due to the car sucking up all the crap from the road, but water doesn't tend to be a problem. The rear view mirror camera at the top of the window by the spoiler. This is terrible for water obstruction whilst driving in the rain. I think water rolls off the roof, accumulates under the rear spoiler and then trickles down in front of the camera. I guess a small cover could be attached to the window under the spoiler. It would be hardly noticeable and hopefully prevent the water tricking down directly onto the camera area. Otherwise you have to drive with the rear wiper on all the time.

4) Never tried, there is a part number for official honda loom that goes with the generic official dashcam. The dashcam itself is crap, but the loom might be useful. I believe the part number is listed in the instruction manual for the dashcam and might make life easier?

5) Never used carplay or spotify , but the sensor sounds are otherwise quite obvious/loud, but I do not play music via bluetooth/android auto (only the DAB radio).

6) I've had this on both of my screens. Id say the left one is now more likely to do it (once a month id say it does it). Only ever for a second or two. Seems to happen at the beginning of shorter journeys. Others have reported it as well (only ever the infotainment screen, not the driver display). I believe the ECU is behind the centre console somewhere. No harm (other than risk of damage to trim) in reseating the connectors.

7) Even though the paint is thin and chips easily (and has terrible pickup on the boot section for me in charge yellow), the quality of the painting seems perfect. I gave it a good polish/wax/detail one summer before a car show and couldn't find anything i didnt like. Sounds like maybe you have had a smart repair or similar?
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
MrM83

Post by MrM83 »

Thanks for the replies.

on 1 - Ill need to monitor this. Its a brand new car, though I realise likely built same time as all the others. Would hope handle hasnt failed after 50 miles, but you never know. Ive no inclination to take it apart just yet but will have a look at the handle thread and see if I can get some spray grease in as best I can from outside.

Regarding settings, this was from the handle menu (handle and door, door and window, I forget the title of the settings). Theres a few options, descriptions not particularly helpful. I seem to have disabled the auto pop out (which I deem good). Will have to monitor the handle retraction.

On 6 - thanks, seems common, but happened almost every journey and only once per journey. I wont worry too much then.

Regarding 7 - I suppose it might have had a repair, but I dont think its the case here. Its either a dentation in the metal press of the wing or a super shallow dent, just enough to distort light reflection. Not sharp enough to be a door or trolley ding. Ill ask a PDR guy for an opinion at some point.
asjo

Post by asjo »

MrM83 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:36 pm 4. I have installed dashcams on all my cars and will do the same here. Preference is to wire into the fusebox with a piggyback connector opposed to OBD supply. I’ve read the fusebox lid in the footwell is difficult to remove? Any advice here welcome.
Take a look at Verone's illustrated guide (Garmin Mini 2).
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

You do not need to pull twice on the door handle to open, there is a sensor inside the handle, just put you your fingers inside the handle as if you are going to open and wait for the unlock. If it doesn't the first time just move your fingers until you find the right position. You can do the same on the passenger side. No need to wait for the driver to open.
To lock touch the 3 lines on top of the door handles. There is also one tiny switch to lock from the boot lock too.
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Reuben80 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:48 am You do not need to pull twice on the door handle to open, there is a sensor inside the handle, just put you your fingers inside the handle as if you are going to open and wait for the unlock. If it doesn't the first time just move your fingers until you find the right position. You can do the same on the passenger side. No need to wait for the driver to open.
To lock touch the 3 lines on top of the door handles. There is also one tiny switch to lock from the boot lock too.
Your telling me I've been opening my car door wrong for over 2 years?!?!?!! what is this, an apple product!? i've been holding it wrong! :lol:

I will check my spare door handle when I get home, I swear there is only 1 wire going into the handle mech for the lock finger tip sensor (the 3 lines).
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

from the manual:

The door may not open if you pull it immediately
after gripping the door handle. Grip the handle
again and confirm that the door is unlocked before
pulling the handle.
• Even within the 80 cm (32 inches) radius, you may
not be able to lock/unlock the doors and the
tailgate with the keyless remote if it is above or
below the outside handle.
• The keyless remote may not operate if it is too close
to the door and door glass.

So - it doesn't mention specifically a switch/sensing pad in the door handle itself. But it does list a load of excuses that it might not detect the keyfob, too close / too far / too high / too low. Like i said it works about 50% of the time, its just a bit naff.

My normal scenario

1) approach car from far away
2) get to about 2-3 meters away
3) handles pop out
4) a few seconds later, im at the side of the car
5) I pull the handle, the door does not open (It is not unlocked) (Maybe more than 50% of the time).
6) i pull again, the door opens.

The microswitch inside the door handle mechanism is operated the moment you pull the the handle. This is well before you get to the point of it actually pulling the door. It's just that the ECU/system doesn't react quick enough / cant sense the fob, resulting in a double pull being required.
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

OMG - Reuben80 is right, I would never have believed it!

A quick test just now confirms:

1) approach car
2) handles pop out
3) put all 4 fingers under the handle
4) press the fingertips against the backside of the handle, do not move the handle at all!
5) approx <0.5 secs later you hear the car unlock (confirming there is an invisible touch sensor, no ridges like the lock area!)
6) Then you can open the drivers door fine - even the back doors!

Why doesn't the manual mention this lol - all this time I just thought the keyless entry was a bit crap because the manual listed so many reasons it might not work. Also there is a tendency to use 1 or 2 fingers in the side and pull it open depending on where you are standing which might not trigger it.

Still stupid though - it needs to be instant for it to work optimally. If between reading the manual and opening the door several times a day for 2.5years it still wasn't obvious, tells you the execution of the idea was bad.
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post