Order update

All Honda E related discussions
bogga

Post by bogga »

I thought it had two structs because there is a whacking hole in the bonnet, and without two structs it wouldn't hold it up straight.

This is what I'd expect to find somewhere to push the bonnet up in a hurry:

rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

londiniumperson wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:44 pm
keithr wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:40 pm
londiniumperson wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:18 pm So in your case if you ordered a 16" wheeled version that is what the dealer will receive along with any other options for the dealer to fit, hopefully at the same time the car arrives.
Well I'd hope so too! But the cars ship from Japan with wheels fitted, naturally. So would they also ship a load of 16" wheels to allow for the customers who want them instead? And what do they then do with all the 17" wheels that are removed? They would need to know how many customers have ordered the 16" wheels to make sure they had enough, so why not just fit them to the cars at the factory? It seems strange for Japanese company, who use JIT manufacturing processes, to be that wasteful. I'm used to motorbike manufacturers, like Triumph, who build bikes to order, so as the bike is being built on the factory line it has the customer's name on it. Perhaps I was wrong to think that a car manufacturer like Honda would do the same for cars that were ordered before they first started making them.
The wheel size other than body colour is the only factory option so customer cars will arrive with either standard 16" or 17" wheels as per their order & not as a dealer fit option. Note that to confuse matters, there are also dealer fit optional wheels available in the accessory catalogue.

The Honda e is a new car, so the first batch are not built to order, once they have a production line fully operational then can be built to order, however like most manufacturers, they also build 'standard' batches of cars so customers can have a car without the lead times (and at a reduced cost) as well as for bulk orders, i.e. hire & lease companies.
Smaller companies opt to build to order for various reasons, i.e. to keep a product exclusive in an attempt to keep sale prices/margins high as well as having a long order book to help company stability.
Just to add to this, my dealer phoned me today (for the first time ever!!! :o ) to say that we will now be getting the car with the 16" wheels, however, this did effectively involve ordering a different car, so our most recent date of 8th August will now shift to 5th September. Basically someone else will now get our car (with the 17" wheels). So, there's definitely no wheel swapping going on by the dealers at this stage anyway. Personally, I'm incredibly relaxed about the new date because, one: we've waited what feels like forever so far anyway, two: we'll now get a "70" plate instead of getting a "20" plate just three and a bit weeks before it's already "old", and three: we may even actually get test drive one of these bloody things before our ordered vehicle arrives! :lol:
bogga

Post by bogga »

Still before me...
Bazarooney

Post by Bazarooney »

Was in contact with my dealer yesterday. Could have had a test drive this weekend, but we have work commitments so booked in next week. Also said that they have installed the new firmware on their demo vehicle at the dealership itself. So those going for a test drive should check that this has been done. Will be interested to see the effect particularly on the range.
bogga

Post by bogga »

Great news!

kw per mile at 30-40-50-60-70-80 pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!

This could be the dealbreaker, or the dealsaver!

Wishes - *please be a good firmware,please be a good firmware,please be a good firmware,please be a good firmware*
Rei

Post by Rei »

Bjorn's figures look right. I think A Better Route Planner has updated too.

Approx 210Wh/km at 110 kph. What really hurts it is the low available capacity though. Originally A Better Route Planner seemed to be assuming 33kWh usable but now it's down to 27-28 and it really shows.
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

Don't stand on what a single person like Bjorn says. He is not an engineer. His calculations are based on limited tools he has so they are not accurate. Even I calculated capacity using youtube videos form various sources and I had always different results. Unless you have access to OBD data calculation will not be 100% accurate. The speed of charging is all to protect the battery. The smaller the battery the more protection you need. Honda can increase the charging speed but you will have more degradation. An EV owner should be educated about Lithium ion batteries and take good care of it as it is the heart of the system.

This is a short video that every EV owner should watch to start with and not make charging mistakes from the start.
dVb9

Post by dVb9 »

Reuben80 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:23 am This is a short video that every EV owner should watch to start with and not make charging mistakes from the start.
Interesting video, but it seems he's talking about Lithium Iron Phosphate (LFP or LiFePo) batteries in solar energy applications, rather than the Lithium Ion batteries that almost all current EVs use.
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

He is talking about Lithium batteries in general and the data graphs are for Li-ion used in EVs.
Rei

Post by Rei »

Reuben80 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:23 am Don't stand on what a single person like Bjorn says. He is not an engineer. His calculations are based on limited tools he has so they are not accurate. Even I calculated capacity using youtube videos form various sources and I had always different results. Unless you have access to OBD data calculation will not be 100% accurate. The speed of charging is all to protect the battery. The smaller the battery the more protection you need. Honda can increase the charging speed but you will have more degradation. An EV owner should be educated about Lithium ion batteries and take good care of it as it is the heart of the system.
His tests might not be perfect but they seem to match up with real world experiences people have quite well. The caveat with The Honda e is that the firmware update might have invalidated all his testing but I can't find any more current info except that one video of someone apparently getting 63kW on a charger.

It doesn't help that Honda have zero communication about this problem.

It's a pretty big deal, one of the journeys I was looking at went from 51% remaining down to 36% remaining when A Better Route Planner corrected the available battery capacity. Since it's up hill a bit I was thinking I could just slow down a little and get home without having to charge if the destination charger isn't available, now it looks like I would have to make a detour to a rapid and wait.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post