e test drives

All Honda E related discussions
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Joolsdc wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:35 pm ...
Having said that, there are still many questions for Honda to answer:
- how will the Keba offered Honda home charger integrate with my current Myenergi Zappi charger?
I don't understand your comment on the Keba offered Honda home charger, please can you expand on this?
If you already have a Myenergi Zappi charger, then either use that or replace it with a different make or the Keba option, whatever that turns out to be.
You don't connect home chargers up to each other, they are completely separate standalone devices.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current

Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

- on update cost - yes it was because of the MG issued some dealers making a charge for the update I was concerned
- thanks for the info about Android. V useful. So at least a stable, large development community
- the reason for the Zappi linked to Keba: I have a 100A main into my home. I have 32A Zappi, we cook (hob and oven), kettle, etc. I’ve been investigating ASHP to augment my oil boiler. If the Zappi and Keba can talk together, they can power up and down to balance each other when the cooker or kettle are on. Knowing when one car is departing in the morning. And don’t get me started with V2G future development. Otherwise I will seek a second Zappi as they can be linked. Or I wait for V2G
londiniumperson

Joolsdc wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:00 pm - on update cost - yes it was because of the MG issued some dealers making a charge for the update I was concerned
- thanks for the info about Android. V useful. So at least a stable, large development community
- the reason for the Zappi linked to Keba: I have a 100A main into my home. I have 32A Zappi, we cook (hob and oven), kettle, etc. I’ve been investigating ASHP to augment my oil boiler. If the Zappi and Keba can talk together, they can power up and down to balance each other when the cooker or kettle are on. Knowing when one car is departing in the morning. And don’t get me started with V2G future development. Otherwise I will seek a second Zappi as they can be linked. Or I wait for V2G
I now understand.
As no one has any information on Honda's home charger option, then you'll either have to wait until it's available or if you need to charge 2 cars concurrently before the info is announced then I suspect that your only option in your scenario will be another Zappi.
I'm no electrician but I'd be concerned trying to charge 2 EVs concurrently on a 100A main, especially if you're cooking as well. Is it really cost effective having 2 home chargers (at a cost of around £1k each) rather then just plugging one car in at a time even if it is possible?
However if you need to fully charge 2 EVs every single day/night to be able to commute to work, then I guess you need to consider this.
Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

That is a good Q Londi
My Zappi only cost £310 18 months ago, as there was a £500 OLEV grant then. And electricians weren’t so greedy 😀
They now seem to be about £700 I haven’t talked to the local company who fitted my original.
It is also a good question as to whether we need two cars charging (do we even need two cars at the moment 😳). But it is so much cheaper charging overnight (I’m on Octopus Go) so Pay 5p/kWh. With two cars I will investigate Octopus Agile. So even £700 would pay for itself in say 3 years. And add value to the house
Or we might just wait and see 😋
Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

PS most older homes have a 60A supply
bogga

Post by bogga »

My house was built in 1968, it has a 100amp fuse.
londiniumperson

Joolsdc wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:49 pm PS most older homes have a 60A supply
Mine was built in 1971 & also has a 100A fuse.
londiniumperson

Joolsdc wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:48 pm That is a good Q Londi
My Zappi only cost £310 18 months ago, as there was a £500 OLEV grant then. And electricians weren’t so greedy 😀
They now seem to be about £700 I haven’t talked to the local company who fitted my original.
It is also a good question as to whether we need two cars charging (do we even need two cars at the moment 😳). But it is so much cheaper charging overnight (I’m on Octopus Go) so Pay 5p/kWh. With two cars I will investigate Octopus Agile. So even £700 would pay for itself in say 3 years. And add value to the house
Or we might just wait and see 😋
So about £1000 (£700+£350 OLEV grant) & if my basic calculations are correct, is that £700 saving based on 10,000 miles pa?
As for increasing house value that's a moot point, I can't see a future buyer saying 'We must buy that house with the EV charger & pay an extra £500 for it'. The average house price is £231,185 (data from gov.uk @ Jan 2020), so that £500 for a used item is 0.2% of the house value. Be realistic, it might even put some people off you house as some see them as an eye sore.

It appears to me, a total stranger that you are trying to justify to yourself that by using man maths that you need a 2nd home charger, could you not just alternate the 2 cars each night on one charger & then charge to 100% each time or do you really use almost a full charge every single day on 2 EVs when commuting, especially in summer months?
Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

Lol on the man maths justification 😂
Both would be in the garages. So nice and tidy
Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

Good news on the 100A fuse. My apologies if I’ve mis-led. I was informed by by the smart meter fitting guy and the EV charger electrician