Home chargers

All Honda E related discussions
As27@talktalk.net

Post by As27@talktalk.net »

Still waiting for delivery that might be only a few weeks away. Does anyone have any information if Honda is offering any offers or reductions for home chargers ? I see the Honda e is till not listed on the OLEV list for grants. Not sure whether to go for Podpoint or a Zippo installed independently or wait for Honda to declare a preferred partnership installer with Possible incentives. Which ever way I go looks like I won’t get the grant until it appears on the OLEV list.

rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

As27@talktalk.net wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:39 pm ...or wait for Honda to declare a preferred partnership installer with Possible incentives.
I can't imagine Honda will be offering anything that would make it worthwhile. I'm planning to just get whatever the best charger is for the money. Needs to have net connectivity and some geeky settings and stats, and it also needs to be able to load balance, both with the house, and another charger (further down the road).
Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

In order to receive any OLEV grant, all chargers have to be “smart” meaning internet connected.
If you have solar PV, look at the Zappi from Myenergi
For for dynamic tariffs, look at the product from Ohme
The Honda offering is from a German company called Keba. Seems a nice bit of kit, but no better than those mentioned. I’ve not seen or heard prices or incentives for the Honda offering.
I have a Zappi mk1. Not sponsored or anything, just know they provide v good support service
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

I don't really like the fact that Ohme needs 3G/4G, when I have a perfectly good broadband connection it could use. I also think they could come up with a better "wall mount" version than just the portable version hanging out of an IP-rated junction box.
The Zappi looks like what I'm after. It's a shame though that they insist on having the hub as a separate box, which then communicates with the charger via some unknown wireless or worse still ropey powerline link 🤢🤮. As someone that installs proper WiFi for a living, I hate having devices unnecessarily polluting the 2.4 GHz airwaves! I completely understand why they've gone this route though, as getting sparks to run an ethernet cable along with the power cable is unlikely to happen in most scenarios.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Until Honda provide information on their home charger offering we will either have to purchase out own or use alternatives to charge (i.e. 3-pin/granny or a 3rd party fast/rapid).
Currently there are no offers & they will only have offers if they have issues selling the stock of Honda e's as they arrive in the UK.

Short term, if you need a home charger the 3-pin isn't suitable then I'd suggest either a Zappi or Ohme per previous posts.

Longer term, the Honda e has been built with V2G via CCS, however as this was done before a standard has been ratified, if it ever comes to fruition then it'll probably on work with a Honda specific charger & probably then not with their first charger, so an upgrade is highly likely.

Getting back to the car not yet on OLEV grant list, that along with the fact that it's not on the gov.uk PICG list or the ABI (insurance list) is another reason that it's not yet available for customer delivery.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
RAL7004

Post by RAL7004 »

Prices for the charging equipment are available in Germany (https://www.honda.de/content/dam/local/ ... 020-05.pdf):

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-08 um 15.16.50.png

londiniumperson

RAL7004 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:18 pm Prices for the charging equipment are available in Germany (https://www.honda.de/content/dam/local/ ... 020-05.pdf):

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-08 um 15.16.50.png
At those prices I think that I'll pass because I'm assuming that's not including installation (even if it did, I'd still not bother as it's way too expensive), any idea on the differences between the different types of charger?
RAL7004

Post by RAL7004 »

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-08 um 15.30.26.png

There are three models to choose from:

Honda Power Charger
Allows a charging capacity of up to 22 kW for faster charging at home. Up to 22 kW three-phase / 7.4 kW single-phase.

Honda Power Charger S
In addition to the functions of the Honda Power Charger, this device offers an intelligent charging function as well as setting up user authorisations and integration into smart home technologies via UDP.

Honda Power Charger S+
This charger with "first-class specifications" offers all the functions of the other two models and also solutions for e-mobility such as local load management with the Power Charger S+ serving as a communication centre or with an external electricity meter via Modbus TCP.
londiniumperson

RAL7004 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:33 pm ...

There are three models to choose from:

Honda Power Charger
Allows a charging capacity of up to 22 kW for faster charging at home. Up to 22 kW three-phase / 7.4 kW single-phase.

Honda Power Charger S
In addition to the functions of the Honda Power Charger, this device offers an intelligent charging function as well as setting up user authorisations and integration into smart home technologies via UDP.

Honda Power Charger S+
This charger with "first-class specifications" offers all the functions of the other two models and also solutions for e-mobility such as local load management with the Power Charger S+ serving as a communication centre or with an external electricity meter via Modbus TCP.
Thank you.
They look interesting, however there are cheaper alternatives in the UK which are currently available, unlike the above.
Though they might provide additional functionality in the future, only time will tell.
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

RAL7004 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:33 pm There are three models to choose from:

Honda Power Charger

Honda Power Charger S

Honda Power Charger S+
Not even sure the standard (non S or S+) option would even qualify for the UK OLEV grant anyway if it lacks an "intelligent charging function". That means the cheapest realistic offering is €1900! Is that even including installation?!

I think I'll pass.