Got to test drive today....

All Honda E related discussions
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Reuben80 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:09 am
dVb9 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:02 pm
Joolsdc wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:58 pm You have to press the one peddle brake button, and then adjust the regen with the paddles.
Interestingly when I used the cruise control & then switched off it cancelled the one peddle braking
That's clearly where I was going wrong. I'd forgotten all about the one-pedal driving button!

I'll see if I can arrange another test drive to give it a go. Personally, though, I'd rather not have such a button. I think I'd prefer it if one-pedal driving was achieved simply by setting regen to the strongest level.
With the button for the 1 pedal driving Honda changes the settings, not only increases regen. When you press the button you will no longer have creep, so the car will not go forward when you lift your foot completely from the brake pedal, making it best for stop and go traffic. Also you will have 3 different regen settings, while without 1 pedal driving you have 4 levels.

What I would like to confirm with someone who drove it or owns the car already, if the regen setting is temporary or it stays as set for the whole drive. In the manual it says temporary setting but I don't understand if they mean that it shows temporary on the display or the actual setting. In all videos that I saw when driving without 1 pedal on the display next to the D there are no arrows that shows the level but when driving with 1 pedal next to D there is always M + the arrows.
It's temporary in that if you change between modes (D/B) or if you switch to ACC, then the regen setting will be cancelled. So if you set a mode then set a regen level and not change mode or regen or use ACC it will stay as you originally set of for the whole journey.

RTFM
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current

londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

londiniumperson wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:07 am
Reuben80 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:09 am
dVb9 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:02 pm

That's clearly where I was going wrong. I'd forgotten all about the one-pedal driving button!

I'll see if I can arrange another test drive to give it a go. Personally, though, I'd rather not have such a button. I think I'd prefer it if one-pedal driving was achieved simply by setting regen to the strongest level.
With the button for the 1 pedal driving Honda changes the settings, not only increases regen. When you press the button you will no longer have creep, so the car will not go forward when you lift your foot completely from the brake pedal, making it best for stop and go traffic. Also you will have 3 different regen settings, while without 1 pedal driving you have 4 levels.

What I would like to confirm with someone who drove it or owns the car already, if the regen setting is temporary or it stays as set for the whole drive. In the manual it says temporary setting but I don't understand if they mean that it shows temporary on the display or the actual setting. In all videos that I saw when driving without 1 pedal on the display next to the D there are no arrows that shows the level but when driving with 1 pedal next to D there is always M + the arrows.
It's temporary in that if you change between modes (D/B) or if you switch to ACC, then the regen setting will be cancelled. So if you set a mode then set a regen level and not change mode or regen or use ACC it will stay as you originally set of for the whole journey.

RTFM 😀 - There are various sections in it that refer to driving modes and regen.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
keithr

Post by keithr »

londiniumperson wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:07 am
Reuben80 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:09 am What I would like to confirm with someone who drove it or owns the car already, if the regen setting is temporary or it stays as set for the whole drive. In the manual it says temporary setting

RTFM
No, that's wrong. RTM again. (There is no B mode BTW.) As I found out on my test ride, if you increase the regen. just before slowing down, once you've finished slowing and then you start driving at a constant speed, or accelerate, or come to a complete halt, the regen. level then goes back to the default (which is level one in Normal mode and level 2 in Sport mode). You can't make the regen. level stay at a higher setting in Drive (Normal or Sport mode), it only stays at your set level if you use the one-pedal mode.

I usually use one-pedal mode (called e-pedal) in my Nissan LEAF most of the time (around town) and only turn it off when I'm driving on A roads and at higher speeds. I'd normally use D mode (least regen.) for cruising along, and change to B mode for more regen. if I need to decelerate more strongly, then change back to D again. The Honda's approach is a bit like that except that it automatically goes back to least regen. level after you've finished slowing. So I think I may get to like the Honda's temporary increased regen. for out of town driving, but if not then I'll just put it back into one-pedal mode again.

To quote the manual (to save you looking it up again) with it's typical Japanese to English translation being a bit poor:

When single pedal control is OFF
If you pull back the paddle selector, the rate of deceleration will change temporarily, and the stage will appear in the driver information interface. The deceleration paddle selector will cancel automatically and deceleration stage in the driver information interface disappear when you drive with constant speed, situations of acceleration and decelerate just before stopping your vehicle.
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

Thank you to make it clear. So it does not have a lot of meaning having paddles because you can use the brake pedal anyway to control the amount of regen. If you don't exagerate with the braking you will still be using full regen without any mechanical brakes coming on. It might be helpful only when braking over bumps but I still have to see if it also disconnects regen anyway over bumps when using paddles.

I don't know if you understood what I am saying about bumps but many EVs cut regen over bumps.
keithr

Post by keithr »

Reuben80 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:21 pm So it does not have a lot of meaning having paddles because you can use the brake pedal anyway to control the amount of regen.
Yes, you could use the brake pedal, but it's easier and a more relaxing way of driving to just control the deceleration with the accelerator pedal. That's why I like one-pedal drving mode so much - it's so nice to control both acceleration and deceleration with just the one pedal. In the Nissan LEAF the one-pedal driving mode just has one level of regen. (strong), which is not so good for cruising at higher speed for long stretches, which is why I turn it off when driving out of town. So I like that the Honda allows you to select a lower level of regen. in one-pedal mode, so you can use that for out of town, or motorway, driving, and select the higher regen. level for town driving. It would be nice if it remembered your regen. level setting when you turned the car off, or turn off one-pedal mode, rather than always having to adjust it every time you select one-pedal mode, but I guess it's not too much of a hardship!
If you don't exagerate with the braking you will still be using full regen without any mechanical brakes coming on.
If I was frequently relying on using the brake pedal to increase the regen. then I would be worried about possibly applying the brakes very lightly all the time which could result in glazed brake pads (as there is no dashboard indication of when the brakes start braking). I much prefer a high level of regen. that you control with the accelerator pedal.
It might be helpful only when braking over bumps but I still have to see if it also disconnects regen anyway over bumps when using paddles.

I don't know if you understood what I am saying about bumps but many EVs cut regen over bumps.
I presume you mean it can temporarily reduce the regen. strengh (or turn it off completely) in order to prevent locking up the driving wheels - a bit like ABS braking. It's not a problem that I encounter on the roads that I normally drive on. Hopefully the Honda won't be so sensitive to bumps that it will reset the regen. level to the minimum when driving over big bumps. I'm fairly sure that it'll be fine most of the time, and won't be a problem.
Rei

Post by Rei »

I found the one pedal mode to be very easy to use and smooth. Didn't need to adjust the regen, the default amount was fine. Maybe if I came to a big slope or something I would.
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

Thank you Keithr for your answers. For me that safety thing over bumps I encounter it every downhill we have here (Bad roads). I either lift completely the brake for a fraction of a second or put it in B when I cannot avoid not braking. I drive a Yaris Hybrid and in B regen does not disconnect this way but depending on speed the engine might switch on.....
Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

I read one review that suggested using the regen paddles like a gear down change in an ICE car as you approach a sharp corner to slow you down. And then come off the regen as you exit the corner. Like changing back up gears.
More involved EV driving. I thought it sounded good
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Joolsdc wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:13 pm I read one review that suggested using the regen paddles like a gear down change in an ICE car as you approach a sharp corner to slow you down. And then come off the regen as you exit the corner. Like changing back up gears.
More involved EV driving. I thought it sounded good
Yes I just read this on the Pistonheads review and tbh this is exactly how I envisaged using the paddles, just as I do now on my DSG. That’s why left paddle minus (even though you’re actually increasing regen not decreasing it) makes sense to me. Shift down a gear (minus) always increases engine braking, which is the nearest feeling to regen you get in an ICE vehicle.
chrisr111

Post by chrisr111 »

I had a loan of an E for the day.

Really liked it, although I'm a through and through car lover irrespective and would probably see something good in a £100 scrapper....

Anyway, mine is apparently due any day now, so really looking forward to delivery.

I don't think anyone who has ordered with their eyes open will be disappointed.

Chris.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post