Got to test drive today....

All Honda E related discussions
tcg68

Post by tcg68 »

Finally got half an hour in the Honda E this morning. I'm not going to write a lot about it - there are plenty of places to read detailed reviews. However, I will say it passed the smile test. I loved how it drove. A couple of folks in the dealership had driven it around the car park but I was the first person to take it out on the streets of Newcastle (on trade plates).

The acceleration is so smooth and it's quick off the line. The camera system takes a little getting used to, but I was fine with it. The exception was probably the rearview mirror camera. It was fine but as someone who has got to an age where I need to wear glasses for reading, and who needs the seat quite far forward (as I am only 5' 7", 1.52m tall) it brings the focal point just to the edge of what I am able to deal with. As I get older this may become more of a problem. The option to flip it to a standard mirror setting is useful, but again due to my seating position if I set the "mirror" so that I am able to see clearly out of the back window, then flip it back to camera, the angle is slightly up and away from what would be comfortable.

I found the infotainment system responsive and easy to use (but I didn't spend a lot of time playing with it as I wanted to concentrate on the drive). The turning circle is just mad (I found and empty car park to try this out), and the tight turning circle also makes cornering a breeze.

For all there has been a lot of criticism of dealers on these forums, mine has been great. I spent some time chatting with both my dealer and the branch manager. The manager is so impressed with the Honda E it has completely changed his mind about "the whole electric car thing."

I had a few people stop or turn around to get a better look at the car as I drove along.

Now I just have to wait to get my hands on mine. Happy to answer any questions based on my limited time with the car.

Wee Peem

Post by Wee Peem »

Lucky devil! May I ask when you first ordered the car and have the dealers now given you a firm delivery date. Also any mention of firmware updates.
Bazarooney

Post by Bazarooney »

Wee Peem wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:59 pm Lucky devil! May I ask when you first ordered the car and have the dealers now given you a firm delivery date. Also any mention of firmware updates.
I was told on Thursday that my car which I ordered in October would be ready mid August and that the updates to all cars would be installed before they reach the dealer. I am in Cheshire so I will take that timetable with a large pinch of the local product. ;)
tcg68

Post by tcg68 »

I ordered December 23rd. Until this week I was told that the car would be at the dealer on 14th July but that it needs a software update, and the date on the system is now showing as 10th August.
bogga

Post by bogga »

What is in this firmware update? Is there a change log? ;)
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

tcg68 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:59 am ...
The option to flip it to a standard mirror setting is useful, but again due to my seating position if I set the "mirror" so that I am able to see clearly out of the back window, then flip it back to camera, the angle is slightly up and away from what would be comfortable.
You can adjust the rear view camera view by pressing the left most button on it to cycle various options (up/down/left/right/rotate). See page 217 of the manual.
Last edited by londiniumperson on Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
Electra

Post by Electra »

londiniumperson wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:33 pm
You can adjust the rear view camera view by pressing the first pressing the left button on it to cycle various options (up/down/left/right/rotate). See page 217 of the manual.
Can you remind me where to find the link to the manual please? I’m sure I’ve seen it on this forum somewhere.
RAL7004

Post by RAL7004 »

Electra wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:11 pm
londiniumperson wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:33 pm
You can adjust the rear view camera view by pressing the first pressing the left button on it to cycle various options (up/down/left/right/rotate). See page 217 of the manual.
Can you remind me where to find the link to the manual please? I’m sure I’ve seen it on this forum somewhere.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=133
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

Been trying to arrange a test drive but I am being told that I will be accompanied by a member of staff.Is this standard and what about social distancing?
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Xanadu wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:35 pm Been trying to arrange a test drive but I am being told that I will be accompanied by a member of staff.Is this standard and what about social distancing?
Contact the dealership with any questions you may have and make your own decision based on the answers and your personal circumstances. :roll:
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post