Regen Levels

All Honda E related discussions
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

From my test drive today, I would have to say that when one-pedal driving is off (which is most of the time since it's virtually impossible to keep it on), the regen level feels to me almost exactly like the deceleration effect you would feel from shifting through the equivalent number of gears as there are levels of regen. In other words, at the default level, it's like being in top gear and there really doesn't feel like there's any regen happening at all when you lift right off the loud pedal (so that should please the "coastophiles") and then as you increase the regen by pulling the left paddle, it feels just like the engine braking effect you would get if you shifted down gears.

I expect this is what Honda were trying to achieve, to create a driving experience that is immediately familiar to experienced ICE vehicle drivers.

Jaws

Post by Jaws »

Haven't driven the e yet myself but I have had 8 years of driving a Mitsubishi I-MiEV which had three levels of regeneration via a traditional looking automatic 'gearbox'. It was good fun using the gear lever in a similar way, I guess, to the paddles on the e. I would match the 'gear' to the traffic and road conditions, the game being to avoid using the brake pedal until the point where it was just a light touch to bring the car to a final halt.

Given that the car only had a range of 80 miles when new in 2012 (down to 60miles last week when I sold it to Webuyanycar) it was a great way to 'hypermile' - if that's the right word :lol: plus it gave me a nice warm glow inside to see all that kinetic energy going back as charge into the battery :D

Talking of range, all the fuss, froth and criticism in the press etc about the Honda e's 125mile range does make me laugh, I never once had range anxiety in the time I had the iMiEV. If we needed to go further than 30 miles away, we took the Jazz., simple. The way some people seem to get worked up over the e's range I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a reply on a forum or newspaper article saying

"Honda are selling a car that only goes 125 miles?
HOW VERY DARE THEY!"
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

Don't forget that when pressing the brake pedal in the Honda e you are not immediately using the mechanical brakes. You will still be able to control the amount of regen without losing any energy. For me this is the best way I find than adjusting different levels by the pedals. I don't know if the imiev did the same as I never drove it but I think Teslas do not have this system. When you press the brake pedal you will activate the mechanical brakes straightaway. Regen is controlled by a setting. Correct me if I am wrong about Teslas as I never drove one too.
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

Reuben80 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:09 am Don't forget that when pressing the brake pedal in the Honda e you are not immediately using the mechanical brakes. You will still be able to control the amount of regen without losing any energy. For me this is the best way I find than adjusting different levels by the pedals. I don't know if the imiev did the same as I never drove it but I think Teslas do not have this system. When you press the brake pedal you will activate the mechanical brakes straightaway. Regen is controlled by a setting. Correct me if I am wrong about Teslas as I never drove one too.
Think you are right. Driven a Tesla last week and find the one-pedal drive in the Honda 100 times better. Didn't feel good in the Tesla and you couldn't stop completely without not using the normal brake. Will always use the one-pedal drive in the e, feels so natural.
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only