Importing Honda e to New Zealand (questions for any UK owners!)

All Honda E related discussions
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

dbkiwi wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:23 pmIs there much of a waiting list?
Is doesn’t appear so. Making chances to our order that resulted in the equivalent of a new order, added about 4 weeks.

fossilraf

Post by fossilraf »

dbkiwi for your infomation Driveev in Taupo have a Black one arriving in October and he is importing Grey one for me.
Check the website or email him at steve@driveev.co.nz
He is a great guy , sold me my Leaf a couple of years ago.
I even posted that " I have at last found an honest car dealer" that is how impressed I was.
Feel free to contact me if you want more info .
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

dbkiwi wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:29 am - will the Honda e connect to home Wi-Fi and download any software updates etc, or is a UK cellular connection required for this? I’m concerned any built-in mobile SIM won’t work in NZ i.e. the car will freak out it’s not in the UK and refuse to update.
As of right now that's how I get internet and app updates a portable hotspot.

But they will be performing a major update next week that I have to go to the dealer, it's from a usb flash drive (so most probably with enough time it will be available in the internet for anyone to download).
dbkiwi wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:29 am - will Apple Car play likely work for me? Should do right...will just connect to my phone which is connected to the Internet?
Haven't tested with apple play, but others seem to do so without problem
dbkiwi wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:29 am - assume the built in maps software won’t work outside of UK/Europe...but can anyone confirm? The car is coming to Japan so maybe it has maps for the whole world?
It has garmin software so any maps could be updated changed.
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
RAL7004

Post by RAL7004 »

FDAD wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:43 am But they will be performing a major update next week that I have to go to the dealer, it's from a usb flash drive (so most probably with enough time it will be available in the internet for anyone to download).
Interesting.
How was this communicated? Will we have to drive to the workshop from time to time in the future to get updates?
Could you kindly ask if this affects all vehicles and what the update is called?
dbkiwi

Post by dbkiwi »

fossilraf wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:42 pm dbkiwi for your infomation Driveev in Taupo have a Black one arriving in October and he is importing Grey one for me.
Check the website or email him at steve@driveev.co.nz
He is a great guy , sold me my Leaf a couple of years ago.
I even posted that " I have at last found an honest car dealer" that is how impressed I was.
Feel free to contact me if you want more info .
Hey! That's awesome - thank you! So great to have another Honda E enthusiast to share the experience with. I actually stumbled upon Steve last week, and I'm so pleased to hear you've had a great experience buying through him in the past. I've given him the green light to find me a car and manage the process for me - and I look forward to reporting back once it's on it's way. It's great to have found someone in NZ bringing these in and willing to support the car as best possible from NZ. So excited! When does yours arrive?
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

They called me yesterday to arrange a visit to the dealer to activate my esim + eCALL+ infotainment/System update.
I'll go there next week, yes i'll ask them no problem. I think that when esim becomes available the car will be OTA updatable... but that's my guess. I sure hope that we'll get that convenience.
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
sbullo

Post by sbullo »

What version of S/W is your car currently running?
Adv. 16" Wheels
Larbor

Post by Larbor »

dbkiwi wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:29 am Hello,

Honda isn’t bringing the Honda e to New Zealand - which means I’ll need to import one myself from the UK if I want to own this car down under! I’ve imported a car from the UK before so I see this as an acceptable challenge!

I see the biggest hurdles are servicing (not too fussed, think could get this carried out here), software updates, and mobile connectivity.

Questions for anyone who is in a position to help me!

- will the Honda e connect to home Wi-Fi and download any software updates etc, or is a UK cellular connection required for this? I’m concerned any built-in mobile SIM won’t work in NZ i.e. the car will freak out it’s not in the UK and refuse to update.

- will Apple Car play likely work for me? Should do right...will just connect to my phone which is connected to the Internet?

- assume the built in maps software won’t work outside of UK/Europe...but can anyone confirm? The car is coming to Japan so maybe it has maps for the whole world?

Any help would be appreciated. I love this little car :D

What's the reason they're not bringing it to New Zealand?

I can think of a a few reasons such as:
  • Camera mirrors aren't allowed (yet)
  • Honda needs to sell all their stock in the EU to avoid massive fines
  • They will in the (near) future
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

For the Garmin software it is available for New Zealand but it depends which countries Honda will install in their cars. If they do the whole world it will be a big file and memory so I don't think New Zealand is included.

OTA should be only for the infotainment system. Don't expect extra miles.
keithr

Post by keithr »

Reuben80 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:47 pm For the Garmin software it is available for New Zealand but it depends which countries Honda will install in their cars. If they do the whole world it will be a big file and memory so I don't think New Zealand is included.
According to the navigation manual for the Honda e, the navigation system provides map coverage for:

Albania, Andorra, Austria, Azores Islands,
Balearic Islands, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia/Herzegovina, Bulgaria,
Canary Island (Gran Canaria/Tenerife), Channel Islands, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech,
Denmark, Estonia,
Finland, France, French Guiana,
Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Guadeloupe,
Hungary,
Iceland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy,
Kosovo,
Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg,
Macedonia, Madeira, Malta, Martinique, Melilla, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro,
Norway,
Poland, Portugal,
Reunion, Romania,
Saint Barthelme, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland,
The Netherlands, Turkey,
Ukraine and United Kingdom.

So no mention of New Zealand (just European countries - perhaps not surprising for a car sold in Europe).

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post