12V battery issues

All Honda E related discussions
sbullo

Post by sbullo »

Wonder how long it was left before battery died?

Last edited by sbullo on Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adv. 16" Wheels

Sousaphone

Post by Sousaphone »

I've asked that very question in the YouTube comments. I'll edit in a reply here if I ever get one...
RAL7004

Post by RAL7004 »

Let me get this right: the entertainment hardware is powered by the "starter" battery and has no connection to the main/"drive" battery ? This is interesting and I am very surprised...
sbullo

Post by sbullo »

I thought the main battery automatically topped up the starter battery. But maybe only when car is turned on?
Adv. 16" Wheels
Sousaphone

Post by Sousaphone »

Never mind the edit, it was a long reply:

"I drive all the days. The problem happened when the technicien finished activer the e-sim card in the car. After he finished his work, I cannot start the car. He finally found the problem. Then he charged the battery for 30 minutes."

So I'm guessing the lack of charge was caused by the tech running down the battery doing things with the car (mostly) off rather than letting it sit.
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

I'm no expert but I think what happens is that the standard 12v battery in the e supplies the juice that powers all the vehicle systems in the same way that it does in an ICE car. If it's knackered, flat, disconnected etc, nothing else can work just like an ICE car. The 35.5 kWh of energy in the traction battery is unable to go anywhere. Once the 12v battery is charged up (or a new one is fitted), everything works again and the 12v battery will be charged up by the traction battery, just like it would be by the alternator in a car powered by fermented dinosaur juice :lol:
RAL7004

Post by RAL7004 »

I hope that the people in the video at least connected the charger to the socket in the car...
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Sousaphone wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:10 pm Never mind the edit, it was a long reply:

"I drive all the days. The problem happened when the technicien finished activer the e-sim card in the car. After he finished his work, I cannot start the car. He finally found the problem. Then he charged the battery for 30 minutes."

So I'm guessing the lack of charge was caused by the tech running down the battery doing things with the car (mostly) off rather than letting it sit.
If a Honda tech had flattened my 12 V Lead Acid battery, I would have insist they replace it. Lear Acid batteries knacker when they’re let go completely flat.

It’s worrying though that having the media system running for even a couple of hours when the car is off could flatten the 12 V battery.
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

12V batteries do not have enough capacity for to run all those monitors + the cpu for many minutes. It is much better to switch the car on with the ready signal if you intent to use it for more than 15 minutes.
Coolcat

Post by Coolcat »

When I looked at one in the forecourt it ran out of battery. I was in and out for it for about 10 mins with the screens on and then it shut down.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post