Honda e [Advance] Sound System

All Honda E related discussions
Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

Top job DifficultNorth. Perhaps pictures how you took the door panel off would be useful too. That particular task gives me sleepless nights. With a new speaker, can you not screw it through to the panel left behind. Or perhaps I missed something and need to look at your photos again.
Anyway, keep going. Great job this far. What would you replace the speaker with?

Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

Oh I’ve taken another look. I see what you mean. Hmm.
Does anyone know where the amp is? Perhaps that is the weak link and not the speakers?
DifficultNorth

Post by DifficultNorth »

I should have taken photos of the disassembly of the panel, and I also did not have a measuring tape availble to measure the diameter (I was kind of in a hurry).

However taking the door panel off to expose the speaker was not difficult. There are a total of 3 philips head screws holding the panel and the rest are held plastic clips.

Two of the screws are behind the door handle. There’s a small plastic cover that pops out, although getting it off was a little difficult.

There’s an additional screw behind a plastic cover by the little «pocket» used to close the door (next to the window button). This cover was easy to pop off and kind of just slides up.

The rest of the panel pops off by a little bit of force. I started at the bottom and worked my way off to pop off all the clips. I did not have to disassemble the door handle cable as there is just enough room to move the panel aside to expose the speaker. Be aware that there are some black sealant goo behind the panel to the top, so do not put your fingers behind the panel up top.

I will have to look into similar speaker assemblies, I have just been short on time to do a thorough investigation.
DifficultNorth

Post by DifficultNorth »

Joolsdc; I have considered replacing the speakers with the JBL Club line but it seems it may be difficult to find speakers that fit. I am also not sure if the amp is powerful enough to make it worth it. I don’t have much experience with speaker upgrades, but coming from an Audi Q2 with B&O speakers the new Honda e was a bit of a downgrade, although they are far better than most car stereos.
DifficultNorth

Post by DifficultNorth »

I have just had a look at the Honda Civic front door speakers and they look remarkably similar! I might try to find a speaker ring adapter for the civic and see if it fits the Honda e!
DifficultNorth

Post by DifficultNorth »

I have disassembled the door panel again to measure and took a couple of photos of the process this time.

18B1BD15-53BE-406F-B324-783F5F9D91EF.jpeg

There are a total of 3 philips head screws. Two behind the door handle, and one behind a plastic cover on the mid section of the door.

8435A60D-BACD-41C9-A1D9-853953AA86CA.jpeg

The plastic cover behind the door handle has a small indent to access a single clip holding the cover in place. Press a thin and narrow piece of metal into the indent and the cover should pop off.

AE27CB97-A57A-446F-963D-5522DCC93D2C.jpeg

The plastic cover on the mid section of the door pops upwards quite easily.

The clips are pretty tight but if you get a good grip at the bottom of the door panel where it is a bit more flexible and pull it away from the door the clips should pop out. Make sure to put all the clips back on the door panel if some are stuck on the door afterwards.

The speaker itself measures approx 160mm (6,5 inch) and I will try to get a set of the JBL Club 622 speakers and see if it will fit out of the box as it includes different sets of brackets to fit most car models, hopefully one of these brackets will fit the Honda e. Shops are closed for easter here but I will pick up the speakers on tuesday and let you guys know how it works out for me!
Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

Great description DN. more photos of the clips please. What did you mean a the goo?
Can I ask why you are choosing JBL? The earlier part of this post suggests Dayton Audio. That’s what I replaced the centre speaker with 😊
DifficultNorth

Post by DifficultNorth »

Joolsdc; I am sorry but I forgot to take photos of the clips... But they are standard panel clips that are attached to the door panel and pops into holes in the door itself.

There was some black sealant goo on the top right of the door behind the panel so just be careful when pulling out the door panel not to put your fingers behind it, but rather pull by grabbing the sides of the panel and away from the door itself.

I have chosen the JBL speakers as replacement for my door speakers as they are good speakers and Dayton Audio is not easily available in my country (Norway).
However it seems that JBL will not easily fit as a replacement of the central speaker and I might have to find an alternative or order the same Dayton speaker that you have used somehow.
Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

Cheers DifficultNorth. I have a hundreds of those clips. Purchased a box of 650 from eBay for £6 in order to do a job on the front spoiler of my daughters VW Up! Used 4 ! 😂. So I have a few spare.
Sorry to keep hassling you. I think you measured the speak diameter, but did you measure the depth. That can be a key measurement for some speakers.
Are you considering a like for like speaker replacement? I.e. say a single 6” fir the JBL equivalent? Or will you replace with a dual cone?
DifficultNorth

Post by DifficultNorth »

Joolsdc; I was planning to replace the main door speaker with a 6,5 inch two-way speaker (tweeter and driver) but as I am a noob regards to speaker upgrades I am unsure if this will result in too much high-tones as there is a separate tweeter in the door already. I will have a go with the JBL Club 622 on tuesday and give a report back on how it sounds.

Unfortunately I cannot remember if I measured the speaker depth :roll:

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post