Honda e [Advance] Sound System

All Honda E related discussions
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

FDAD wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:47 am New speaker installed... well... now you can hear the door mids getting behind :D huge improvement!
Great. Where can we get one?

FDAD

Post by FDAD »

Joolsdc wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:10 pm Is that the Dayton Audio DMA-90 you recommend? V good value at £16.49 on eBay
Looks a neat install
Did you use Honda Civic speaker connectors?
Yes I did.. no cut wires.
Yes I used an NL importer not ebay, but similar price, and it really made a significant improvement.
I just made 2 new holes with 2/3mm offset and its a perfect fit the cover needs to be sanded (at the center) 2/3mm also so that the speaker doesn't enter contact with the cover.
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

FDAD wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:12 pm
Joolsdc wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:10 pm Is that the Dayton Audio DMA-90 you recommend? V good value at £16.49 on eBay
Looks a neat install
Did you use Honda Civic speaker connectors?
Yes I did.. no cut wires.
Yes I used an NL importer not ebay, but similar price, and it really made a significant improvement.
I just made 2 new holes with 2/3mm offset and its a perfect fit the cover needs to be sanded (at the center) 2/3mm also so that the speaker doesn't enter contact with the cover.
Is that this: ?
Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

No it is this one I believe

022C7495-C07E-4215-BA80-B272DB67C1A0.png

bogga

Post by bogga »

Anyone got the exact dimensions of the OEM speaker, so we can look for a plug and play replacement?
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

bogga wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:39 pm Anyone got the exact dimensions of the OEM speaker, so we can look for a plug and play replacement?
Forget plug and play beacause 1st the plug will need an adapter. 2nd the sepeaker is 3" but you will not find a perfect fit as the holes are not standard. 3rd might as well keep the stock speaker if you are replacing it with marginal improvement.
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

FDAD wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:41 pm
bogga wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:39 pm Anyone got the exact dimensions of the OEM speaker, so we can look for a plug and play replacement?
Forget plug and play beacause 1st the plug will need an adapter. 2nd the sepeaker is 3" but you will not find a perfect fit as the holes are not standard. 3rd might as well keep the stock speaker if you are replacing it with marginal improvement.
Hey FDAD, do you know, what exactly get's pushed to this centre speaker? Is it simply a mono downmix of the L & R audio?

Also, would you say that the speaker you're recommending is a noticeable improvement over the stock speaker, and therefore worth the upgrade?
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

rickwookie wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:02 am
FDAD wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:41 pm
Hey FDAD, do you know, what exactly get's pushed to this centre speaker? Is it simply a mono downmix of the L & R audio?

Also, would you say that the speaker you're recommending is a noticeable improvement over the stock speaker, and therefore worth the upgrade?
The center gets pure mids/highs and yes a mono downmix. From my experience at least.
For me it is.. I can hear voices crisp clear now. And mids get a punch. The downside... the door mids get behind XD.
Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

Thanks to FDAD, I’ve started the process of speaker upgrading
Centre first
I used a plastic prying tool to lever up the cover. Just go gently. I started at the side closest to the dashboard - there is a small indent that I could get the prying tool into. I levered the middle and then slipped an old shop card into the gap, to keep it open as I moved the prying tool right. This popped the first fixing out. Then I moved left, and got both metal fixtures out. See FDADs photos earlier in this post.
It was then a case of moving along the right side to pop the two plastic fixtures. And the same on the left side. And then the whole cover slips out.
It is made of polypropylene, so there is a little flex.
I then unscrewed the speaker, keeping the screws.
The connector unclips from the speaker. And at FDAD’s recommendation, I have purchased a connector that clips into the car one - leaving two wires to attach to the speaker.
I am still waiting for the speaker.
Any top tips FDAD for drilling the speaker gratefully received
Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

Again thanking FDAD, I have updated the front centre speaker in line with his instructions. All good
The only extra thing I would add is you have to cut off two little nubbins of plastic, one off each of the supports that the speaker screws into.
On a brief garage test (place not music) I heard a substantial improvement. Full test next time.
PS. I have a spare speaker connector if anyone would like to pay for postage

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post