Green flash number plates from 1sr September

All Honda E related discussions
Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

My collected e today didn’t have the green flash number plates. The dealership could only order them from today. Doh! But I will go back at some point to replace for free

eread

Post by eread »

londiniumperson wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:49 pm
eread wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:20 am I really wish the first design stayed. It would be very interesting to have an all-green number plate and I know that would have encouraged many 20-30-year-olds because "wow green plate cool" factor.

Of the 20-30 yr olds that you know, what % have told you that they love the idea of a green plate, not withstanding that very few could afford a zero emissions vehicle?
I asked 5 and 3 said yes definitely 1 said yeah I'd get it (and they are looking at possibly getting an EV soon) and 1 said not for me (as they have one of those tiny plates with 4/5 characters on) I guess it's the concept of having something different that stood out?
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

eread wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:11 pm
eread wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:20 am I really wish the first design stayed. It would be very interesting to have an all-green number plate and I know that would have encouraged many 20-30-year-olds because "wow green plate cool" factor.

Of the 20-30 yr olds that you know, what % have told you that they love the idea of a green plate, not withstanding that very few could afford a zero emissions vehicle?
I asked 5 and 3 said yes definitely 1 said yeah I'd get it (and they are looking at possibly getting an EV soon) and 1 said not for me (as they have one of those tiny plates with 4/5 characters on) I guess it's the concept of having something different that stood out?
I have come across a completely different attitude to them, because both my sons (20 & 23) don't like them & 2 youngsters at work in their late 20's also don't like them either. Actually not a single person I've asked in passing likes them no matter their age.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
dVb9

Post by dVb9 »

I like the idea of them, but I prefer my numberplates to be plain, so that the characters sit centrally rather than being offset to the right.

With these green plates being such a new concept, I think they'll initially be seen as virtue signalling (to use the current parlance), especially while there's no material benefit to having them. I may choose to adopt them at a later stage if, say, they allow free/reduced parking or the use of bus lanes, although the window of opportunity for this will be relatively smsll, as with greater EV take-up over the coming years, there'll come a point where offering incentives is no longer viable.
londiniumperson

dVb9 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:18 pm I like the idea of them, but I prefer my numberplates to be plain, so that the characters sit centrally rather than being offset to the right.

With these green plates being such a new concept, I think they'll initially be seen as virtue signalling (to use the current parlance), especially while there's no material benefit to having them. I may choose to adopt them at a later stage if, say, they allow free/reduced parking or the use of bus lanes, although the window of opportunity for this will be relatively smsll, as with greater EV take-up over the coming years, there'll come a point where offering incentives is no longer viable.
That's exactly what the green plates say about their owners, i.e virtue signalling because any use for free/reduced parking or the use of bus lanes will use ANPR to confirm the validity of that benefit because any Tom, Dick or Harry (aka scrote) could stick a green sticker on the number plate to avoid payment/penalty.

The whole thing is/was a waste of taxpayers money to appease the green brigade.
Jeffers

Post by Jeffers »

One of the reasons for green plates was supposed to be for fire crews easily identifying vehicles with HV systems. Obviously in a massive crash both plates could find themselves away from the car, but that may also expose bright orange wires to help ID the power source.

I see an advantage in them being seen by the public in general, more exposure to something new makes it normal quicker.
The single raindrop never feels responsible for the flood
londiniumperson

Jeffers wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:21 pm One of the reasons for green plates was supposed to be for fire crews easily identifying vehicles with HV systems. Obviously in a massive crash both plates could find themselves away from the car, but that may also expose bright orange wires to help ID the power source.

I see an advantage in them being seen by the public in general, more exposure to something new makes it normal quicker.
You've got to realise that most people don't care about car number plates (or have any interest in cars) and won't even notice this, let alone know what it means.
Jeffers

Post by Jeffers »

People tend to notice things that are different, even something as subtle as a green flash on a number plate will prompt questions among some.

I know what you mean about number plates, I have zero interest in them, but when I lived in London a while back, I noticed what I later learned were embassy number plates (3 numbers, then a D, then 3 numbers). It took seeing maybe a dozen before I ended up idly googling it one day. I suspect it’ll work in a similar way with green flashes.

I can’t speak for others, but I’m surely not the only one with mild curiosity when I see something out of the ordinary.
The single raindrop never feels responsible for the flood
eread

Post by eread »

londiniumperson wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:51 pm
eread wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:11 pm
I have come across a completely different attitude to them, because both my sons (20 & 23) don't like them & 2 youngsters at work in their late 20's also don't like them either. Actually not a single person I've asked in passing likes them no matter their age.
Certainly interesting maybe it's like marmite, some people love it, some people hate it :lol:
Isow

Post by Isow »

Has anybody taken delivery of a new e with green flash number plates ?
My dealer says that they won’t be able to get the green flash plates from
their number plate supplier until 2021.
Is he telling the truth or just being a salesman ?

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post